Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activation Lock

• 11-06-2018 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭

my mothers ipad 2 got a message saying activation required. She can't remember her apple password, and can't remember the password for the email address she associated with the apple id !! FFS

I got the photos off it, so I can reset it if possible , how do i go about this ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WhiteSpoofer

Go to iforgot.apple.com and try to reset the password for the Apple ID following the prompts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Go to iforgot.apple.com and try to reset the password for the Apple ID following the prompts.

thanks for that, went through the process and no luck. I am trying to recover the hotmail password associated with her apple ID.

Other than that I think only a 'hard reset' is the only option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201365
    https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201487

These are what you need.
    If you can’t reset password using the email address or answer the security questions go to the following page

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204169

OK, similar issue here. I tried that above page but I cannot even get into 'Settings' on the iPad. I have the 4-digit code to access the iPad, which has always sufficed before, but it's now not required. Instead, the opening page is 'Choose language', then 'Country', then 'Choose a Wi-Fi Network', then 'Next'.

Then I come across the 'Activation Lock'. There, I must put in 'Apple ID' and 'Password'. It says 'This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad. a*****@gmail.com.

I've tried every possible 6-character permutation within memory to fulfil the above gmail.com address hint to no avail. Accordingly, I then click 'Activation Lock Help', which states 'A password is required to activate this device because its owner has used Find My iPhone to link it to their Apple ID.'

The iPad owner has never had an iphone so has never had even the facility to set up Find My iPhone. I suspect from this that somebody has hacked this iPad account.

How can we get access to the device again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

OK, similar issue here. I tried that above page but I cannot even get into 'Settings' on the iPad. I have the 4-digit code to access the iPad, which has always sufficed before, but it's now not required. Instead, the opening page is 'Choose language', then 'Country', then 'Choose a Wi-Fi Network', then 'Next'.

Then I come across the 'Activation Lock'. There, I must put in 'Apple ID' and 'Password'. It says 'This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad. a*****@gmail.com.

I've tried every possible 6-character permutation within memory to fulfil the above gmail.com address hint to no avail. Accordingly, I then click 'Activation Lock Help', which states 'A password is required to activate this device because its owner has used Find My iPhone to link it to their Apple ID.'

The iPad owner has never had an iphone so has never had even the facility to set up Find My iPhone. I suspect from this that somebody has hacked this iPad account.

The ***** after the first letter of the email is just a placeholder for every email, the email could have 20 characters after the first letter or 12 or 18 or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Unless you have gathered any additional info - you cannot hard reset this iPad. It's game over.

Apple will only help here if she can show the original receipt to show she owns the iPad. Then they will release the activation lock. The purpose of activation lock is to deter robbers in the first place as the device is basically useless

flexcon wrote: »
    Unless you have gathered any additional info - you cannot hard reset this iPad. It's game over.

Apple will only help here if she can show the original receipt to show she owns the iPad. Then they will release the activation lock. The purpose of activation lock is to deter robbers in the first place as the device is basically useless

Just to update this. I paid a guy in a local IT/Phone shop €70 and he unlocked the iPad for me. It's working fine now, except that the Netflix app, the Netflix kids app and some other things are not compatible with that version of the iPad so I'll have to go back and see if he could do anything about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Just to update this. I paid a guy in a local IT/Phone shop €70 and he unlocked the iPad for me. It's working fine now, except that the Netflix app, the Netflix kids app and some other things are not compatible with that version of the iPad so I'll have to go back and see if he could do anything about that.
    Thanks for the update

This person bypassed the activation lock for you?

Or did they manage to work out what the account was?

flexcon wrote: »
    Thanks for the update

This person bypassed the activation lock for you?

Or did they manage to work out what the account was?

They bypassed the activation lock, I assume, as all the potential information about the account - e.g. potential email addresses and passwords - did not work at all. I'll ask him next time I'm in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could you PM me who you used please.
    A friend has the same problem for his fathers iphone now.

I’m usually the go to person but even I can’t help with this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kceire wrote: »
    Could you PM me who you used please.
    A friend has the same problem for his fathers iphone now.

I’m usually the go to person but even I can’t help with this.

Just to follow this up.
    My guy got sorted in iConnect in Henry Street.

Advertisement