Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diversity visa names issue

Options
  • 11-06-2018 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got selected from the green card lotto and want to get my documents ready. I am worried however that my education was done through my given name rather then my birth name. I have two degrees the last one completed ten years ago. Will it matter that the names are different on my educational transcripts than those on my passport, my passport and pps name are the same. Also for proof of working the past few years do i ask my previous and current employers for references. I paid tax under my real name and worked under my given name but as a PAYE worker my bosses have known my real name. Also am worried about asking boss for a refererence incase I dont get it! Also the name i go buy is a shortened version of my passport name but spelt and pronounced slightly differently but not greatly from the usual version of the shortened name. Do i need to get some evidence from the tax office that i have been a PAYE worker? Luckily taxes are under my passport name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

With us immigration you have just entered a minefield with all that ambiguity. Get as much evidence as possible of all usage and prepare for a reaming in your interview! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

With us immigration you have just entered a minefield with all that ambiguity. Get as much evidence as possible of all usage and prepare for a reaming in your interview! Good luck

I figured it might cause a few a problems. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this scenario. If so do they have any advice? Or if anyone works in the field of immigration law?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Ursabear wrote: »
    I figured it might cause a few a problems. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this scenario. If so do they have any advice? Or if anyone works in the field of immigration law?

On the DS260 (long form) make sure you put all your names and alias's.

On your Police Cert applications make sure you put your FULL name (as per birth certificate), and any alias's you've been using. The Guards take about a month to post it out to you. Allow 3 months in case there are any corrections needed.

Gather evidence from official sources for all names, banks, government letters etc.

You'll be fine, just drown them in evidence, the final person you meet for interview in the emabssy will grill you, so have your facts in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ursabear

Thank you so much this has been very helpful. I am feeling more optimisric. I have been waiting to sort this out before applying for interview

Advertisement