Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ever acceptable to do this in a work environment?

Options
  • 03-06-2018 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

A family member has recently been diagnosed with cancer, and I left my job in order to care for them until they are back on their feet. After leaving my job (handing in my notice, and received my P45), I was told by my manager that there would always be a place for me in the job, and that I am free to resume work after my family member is back on their feet again. At present, there is someone in my place in the job during my absence.

I am also receiving JobSeekers Allowance in the meantime.

Just wondering, is it still feasible to resume my current position after my family member is back on their feet again?

Any constructive advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hello 1 wrote: »
    A family member has recently been diagnosed with cancer, and I left my job in order to care for them until they are back on their feet. After leaving my job (handing in my notice, and received my P45), I was told by my manager that there would always be a place for me in the job, and that I am free to resume work after my family member is back on their feet again. At present, there is someone in my place in the job during my absence.

I am also receiving JobSeekers Allowance in the meantime.

Just wondering, is it still feasible to resume my current position after my family member is back on their feet again?

Any constructive advice much appreciated.

Of course,

It sounds like they value you and your commitment to the job but understand the position you are put into and have left the job open for you, that's very nice of them and not something most employers would do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would just take it as a gesture rather than something set in stone, the companies position may change so it might not be feasible for them to hire you, but if all is fine and they can then it's up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

Thank you so much. :)

Just wondering, how will it all work out, re - the Social Welfare, with regards to returning to my previous job?

When I 'signed on' my case officer asked my about my last job, details, such as my employer's name and company name and address (All details I gave them were put into a computer by the case officer).

Just wondering will it be ok to return to this job again, in their eyes, considering the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Thank you so much. :)

Just wondering, how will it all work out, re - the Social Welfare, with regards to returning to my previous job?

When I 'signed on' my case officer asked my about my last job, details, such as my employer's name and company name and address (All details I gave them were put into a computer by the case officer).

Just wondering will it be ok to return to this job again, in their eyes, considering the above?

Shouldn't be an issue. Why would it be? There might be an issue with you collecting the dole when you're not available for work or seeking work. Maybe you'd be entitled to carer's allowance?

Shouldn't be an issue. Why would it be? There might be an issue with you collecting the dole when you're not available for work or seeking work. Maybe you'd be entitled to carer's allowance?

Just thought there might have been an issue with going back to this job, because I am in receipt of JobSeekers Allowance, not Carers' Allowance, at present.

Obviously the Social Welfare never enquired about the in's and out's about why I had left my job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well you could always keep in touch and let them know when your free again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭gipi

Just thought there might have been an issue with going back to this job, because I am in receipt of JobSeekers Allowance, not Carers' Allowance, at present.

Obviously the Social Welfare never enquired about the in's and out's about why I had left my job.

Things might change with your jobseekers claim if you are sent towards training courses, or directed to jobpath, and can't take it up because of your carer duties.

gipi wrote: »
    Things might change with your jobseekers claim if you are sent towards training courses, or directed to jobpath, and can't take it up because of your carer duties.

So, is it 'allowed' , when my relative is back on their feet again, that I just 'sign off' and then go back to my old job?

I am aware that when you are in receipt of Social Welfare, and get a job, that Social Welfare must be informed ( as your financial circumstances have changed),but can I just say that 'yes, I have found employment' or do I have to say 'I have found employment, but it's with my old job'. (Is this allowed?)

My case officer recorded the dates I started and finished up with my old job when I 'signed on' when my relative got sick.

Am I over - thinking this one?

All advice appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

So, is it 'allowed' , when my relative is back on their feet again, that I just 'sign off' and then go back to my old job?

I am aware that when you are in receipt of Social Welfare, and get a job, that Social Welfare must be informed ( as your financial circumstances have changed),but can I just say that 'yes, I have found employment' or do I have to say 'I have found employment, but it's with my old job'. (Is this allowed?)

My case officer recorded the dates I started and finished up with my old job when I 'signed on' when my relative got sick.

Am I over - thinking this one?

All advice appreciated. :)

Definitely over thinking. They don't care if you go back to your old job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Just to clarify you are not seeking work, you are minding a relative then you should not be on JSA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Just for future reference, carers leave might have been a better option, as that way in the eyes of the law your job is protected. You get an SW payment while off but are still anvempliyee of the company. Much better for you in the long run and is designed for exactly this sort of circumstances.

Thank you so much everyone for all your help.

Much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Carer's benefit would have probably been a more appropriate benefit to apply for as for jobseekers benefit you need to be actively seeking employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rathevan

Hi,

I am in a position similar and I think carers benefit would have been a better option for you. I've attached a link but you would have been entitled to take leave, with your job being kept open for you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/carers_benefit.html

Thank you so much everybody for the responses. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How did you get JSA after leaving a job voluntarily
    As said, you should be on carers allowance if the relative needs full time care and not just some help would be nice but for you scenario I'm not sure you would get carers allowance

Is it ever acceptable to be openly shouted at, at work, by a fellow colleague in front of other staff and clients?

In a well run business, what could the usual sanctions be for shouting at a colleague?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Is it acceptable to be openly shouted at, at work, by a fellow colleague in front of other staff and clients?

In a well run business, what could the usual sanctions be for shouting at a colleague?

It's fine as long as it's not a recurring issue as far as im concerned. We're all adults and people with flaws. So as long as it's not repeated behaviour I'd be noting it and letting it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

No, it's absolutely not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

I would say that it's never OK and shows a complete lack of respect. Depending where you work I would speak to the person about and it and notify HR if it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Pelvis wrote: »
    No, it's absolutely not acceptable.

Had to do it myself on Friday.

Arsehole manager won't communicate and it ends in last minute bull**** rush jobs and everyone getting stressed.

Going on a long time. I snapped, Went up in his face and screamed the building down in front of everybody. Called him every name under the sun.

Today there was lots of communication,

Worked for me.

EDIT: I also agree with above and below posts. My reason was a lot of trying and talking and a lot of failing and just couldn't be held in anymore. Happening on a daily basis?? then someone needs to take some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree it's not acceptable, but if it's a once off sort of thing I would just have a chat with the person and sort it out.

But if there's a pattern of this happening I would lodge an official complaint with HR, making it very clear I feel I am not in a safe working environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

OP, based on this and the other threads you’ve started recently, you’re clearly having difficulty in your current job. Is there a HR manager or line manager you can speak with? Is this your first job?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I THINK IT’S OK, DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Had to do it myself on Friday.

Arsehole manager won't communicate and it ends in last minute bull**** rush jobs and everyone getting stressed.

Going on a long time. I snapped, Went up in his face and screamed the building down in front of everybody. Called him every name under the sun.

Today there was lots of communication,

Worked for me.

EDIT: I also agree with above and below posts. My reason was a lot of trying and talking and a lot of failing and just couldn't be held in anymore. Happening on a daily basis?? then someone needs to take some action.

This will end in tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Perception is a Mind boggling thing. Is it passion for the job or goal, or bullying? Only repeat offences can bullying .
    HR is a double edged sword. It's not like telling on someone in school. If the other person is a top performer and you are a weak performer, forget HR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

For me, the question would be is this a one-off or a regular occurrence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In personal disputes the one with the highest degree and greatest value to the company wins. HR should only be involved in indictable offences like assault or theft or vandalism, highly unlikely in so-called "educated" senior staff who love to throw their weight around. They don't teach diplomacy or tact in Engineering school.......

Unless you can objectively analyse your worth to the company versus the worth of the offending person I would drop the case.

At the very least seek advice from a trusted ally on this issue, see if there is a recurring pattern of bullying with other peers in your group. Maybe you can all make a case together to convince the boss.

In my very unhappy time in industry I was caught on both sides in this way, being a bully and being bullied. It was not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

I shouted at my manager recently. She is very deaf and I needed to get her attention.

Normally I try more subtle ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Never in front of a client

Advertisement