Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ever acceptable to do this in a work environment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

There is a very simple rule of thumb in an office environment.

Praise in public, reprimand in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Never in front of a client

Never in front of anyone. If you need to shout, you have a very weak argument.when someone is shouting at me I'm telling them to go away and come back when they're a little more level headed.

You don't need to be aggressive to be assertive.

Regardless of the environment. Be it work or relationship, if you need to shout, you're have lost the argument already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

This will end in tears!

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

I m sorry I shouted at you son. But it was my sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I snapped, Went up in his face and screamed the building down in front of everybody. Called him every name under the sun.

Someone's been watching too much Wolf of Wall Street.:rolleyes:

It's completely unprofessional and a matter for HR. Should entail a verbal warning at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did you shout back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Nope

Your way of dealing with someone who doesn’t communicate is to shout at them.

This is not effective communication. You have now learned that you get your way when you shout at a colleague you don’t agree with.

This will end in tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have had plenty of managers in my time and the ones I fear most are the quiet types who take copious notes, take time to get both sides of a dispute and arrange a meeting off the floor at some future time before coming to a decision on any form of discipline. Usually these are the types who will have read the company handbook cover to cover and have high social and interpersonal skills without being overbearing about it. It is usual that neither party to the dispute will be entirely satisfied with the outcome and both parties will have some improving plan to carry out. Managers want harmony above all and will not make losers and winners if they can help it. Good ones will expect and get change in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Depends on the situation and the setting. It's naïve in the extreme to think you can get through your whole working life without ever being shouted at! I work with a load of hairy arsed builders - shouting is a regular occurrence, getting to be less so though in fairness, probably more of an old timers thing now.
    But it does happen, stress gets to people sometimes and they vent - the world goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It's happened once. After years of bad management it took some shouting to get the man to get his finger out of his hole. He's acknowledged he's in the wrong and setup a lunch for Friday with the team to figure out a plan on how we can work on better communication. No tears but a result.

You know nothing about the situation and I will not be using it to get my way.

It worked that's the main thing,be it unprofessional or not it needed to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Hello 1

B00056718 wrote: »
    Never in front of anyone. If you need to shout, you have a very weak argument.when someone is shouting at me I'm telling them to go away and come back when they're a little more level headed.

You don't need to be aggressive to be assertive.

Regardless of the environment. Be it work or relationship, if you need to shout, you're have lost the argument already.

Thank you.

I totally agree. In my view, shouting at anyone in a work environment is completely unacceptable, regardless of the circumstances. It shows a complete lack of self control on the part of the person who shouted, and also that they obviously don't know how to behave appropriately in a work environment dealing with other people without losing the head, and showing themselves up in an irretrievably bad light. There's no going back for them once they 'lose control' even once at work. It will always be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

doolox wrote: »
    Managers want harmony above all and will not make losers and winners if they can help it. Good ones will expect and get change in the team.

I've found this to be true above all else. They are usually also determined to keep HR out of it as if it goes to that level it's a sign of weakness on the manager's part in that they couldn't resolve the issue.

"Harmony" is relative anyway. A manager may resolve something in their own way.....that doesn't mean they haven't made the situation worse by forcing the result they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Begs the obvious question of what you did, or do, on an ongoing basis that solicited that reaction. HR might find other unsavory work practices and performance issues in the fallout. There might be more than one disclipinary review or job review on the table.

fritzelly wrote: »
    How did you get JSA after leaving a job voluntarily
    As said, you should be on carers allowance if the relative needs full time care and not just some help would be nice but for you scenario I'm not sure you would get carers allowance

The conditions for receiving JSA, a person can be disqualified from getting a Job Seekers payment for a period of up to 9 weeks if a person voluntarily leaves a job. 9 WEEKS. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/conditions_for_getting_a_jobseekers_payment.html

According to Citizen Information, a person can be disqualified from receiving a JobSeekers payment for up to 9 WEEKS if they leave a job voluntarily.

If someone had great difficulty in securing employment.
    They then get employment in their chosen field of expertise, but have a number of bad experiences there, for example, bullying, scapegoating, etc. They leave this position, and are then asked to go back to work in same company by management, personally, as, in their eyes, they are a valuable member of the team, etc.

Would you go back to a job like the above, if the alternative was to be unemployed?

Just looking for some other perspectives?

Would appreciate some constructive advice.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Why go back to a place to be bullied and made a scapegoat?

Constructive dismissal comes to mind

sexmag wrote: »
    Why go back to a place to be bullied and made a scapegoat?

Constructive dismissal comes to mind

The people doing the bullying have left the company - they no longer work there anymore - so this is not an issue in the present circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Did the management that asked you back know about the bullying at the time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mod hello 1

you have already been asked via another account to stop creating multiple threads on the same topic.

please heed this advice

• Advertisement

messrs wrote: »
    Did the management that asked you back know about the bullying at the time?

Yes, I made them aware of the incidents that occurred. The offending persons continued with the same treatment I suffered, this time with other members of staff after I had left the job. They then left the job themselves of their own accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

If you've been p45'd then you don't have a job to go back to. It'd be entirely at the discretion of your old employer to take you on again. I'm not getting into the I s and outs of social welfare as what's done is done. Your case worker won't care where you work or what you do so long as you take up employment even with your old employer.

screamer wrote: »
    If you've been p45'd then you don't have a job to go back to. It'd be entirely at the discretion of your old employer to take you on again. I'm not getting into the I s and outs of social welfare as what's done is done. Your case worker won't care where you work or what you do so long as you take up employment even with your old employer.

Thank you. What if you returned to work, and returned your P45 slip to your employer (for payroll purposes)?
    Does the circumstances not change if you are being asked back by your employer, as in, there is obviously still a place for you in the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So while you were there that were aware of the bullying and did nothing ??

I wouldn’t go back.

What if something comes up they bury their head in their sand again and your left dealing with trouble.

_Brian wrote: »
    So while you were there that were aware of the bullying and did nothing ??

I wouldn’t go back.

What if something comes up they bury their head in their sand again and your left dealing with trouble.

Thank you.

But what about 'the other side of the coin' -

Don't go back to work & then start from the bottom all over again,looking for other work, and getting knocked back, being on the dole for years, etc, etc??

Advertisement