Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protecting Dry Hoggetts for the Summer?

• 11-06-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Have over a hundred dry hoggetts this year as changed the system a bit.
    Am just wondering if I should treat them with Clik or dip them with Summer dip to protect them from maggots from now till selling time in September?
    What do other people do?
    I know treating with Clik or Clik Extra is probably a lot more expensive than dipping but I would have to use a neighbours dipping tank,clean it out before and after and employ a man for the time it took to move the hoggetts to the dipping tank,help dip then and return them to fields.
    They are clipped nearly three weeks now so have enough of a regrowth to hold either Clik or a dipping.

Thanks for any opinions on using Clik on hoggetts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I always use the spray dipping . It's mobile and only cost a €1 per sheep. It's fast. U do t have to really handle the sheep and it's quick. I run the same type of enterprise as yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

quad sprayer and dip will give them a nice fake tan for selling.should be no need for another while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

sea12 wrote: »
    I always use the spray dipping . It's mobile and only cost a €1 per sheep. It's fast. U do t have to really handle the sheep and it's quick. I run the same type of enterprise as yourself

Thanks for reply,there is a fellow in my area with one of those mobile dipping wagons but I have only ever heard of him doing ‘Winter Dipping’ with it,did you ever consider putting Clik on the hoggetts or did something put you off that idea?....

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    quad sprayer and dip will give them a nice fake tan for selling.should be no need for another while yet

With the showery weather promised for the next few days would it not be dangerous enough time for fly strike?.....most of my hoggetts are fairly clean though......only a few of the more Suffolk x types a bit dirty of the end,all are clipped though so that’s a good thing.

When do you normally treat yours?

wouldn't think they have enough wool on them for maggots yet.
    if u dose the suffolks with copper may help with the scour

• Advertisement

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    wouldn't think they have enough wool on them for maggots yet.
    if u dose the suffolks with copper may help with the scour

So would it be end of June or later before you spray yours?

mine r not for sale and not even clipped yet.but i would say end of june should b grand and considering how cold it is this evening maybe later. u might have to do then a couple of times depending on weather and sale date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I use to do it but it's cheaper and handier with the mobile dip. Yea the mobile dippers use summer dip for summer

Advertisement