Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padded Shorts- help needed

Options
  • 11-06-2018 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So getting back on the bike after a great number of years off it. It's road biking

Need to get some comfy, well padded and spacious for the jewels, shorts, Old shorts don't fit due to weight gain.

Can anyone recommend a good pair and where to get them. Is bike24 still a good spot to get these sort of things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Firstly I would suggest bib shorts rather than ordinary shorts. Bike 24 are still a good supplier but returns, if required, will be slow. I would suggest a local supplier or CRC/Wiggle until you establish what your "new" size is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

C3PO wrote: »
    Firstly I would suggest bib shorts rather than ordinary shorts. Bike 24 are still a good supplier but returns, if required, will be slow. I would suggest a local supplier or CRC/Wiggle until you establish what your "new" size is!

Any brands better than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Any brands better than others?

DHB from Wiggle (their own brand) would probably be a good place to start. Good value/quality compromise.

I recently purchased a pair of these from Merlin https://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-pro-gel-cooltech-bib-shorts-57362.html

Merlin take maybe a day or two longer than CRC or Wiggle, but the few orders I have had always come within a week.

As for the shorts, I'm a larger size (5'8" and around 90 kilos) and I usually have trouble getting shorts that aren't too tight on my legs. These are excellent and the pad is the most comfortable of any shorts I have worn.

I've not tried the DHB ones though and they always get an excellent write up.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I really like the Endura FS260 bibs. Good quality and super comfy. Their sizing matches UK/Irish sizes, I'm a large for them. For Castelli and Italian brands the same size is XL. If my memory serves me right DHB also follows UK sizing.

• Advertisement

When measuring waist, where do you measure? On hip, or around the navel.

Just looking at sizing guides...

Cheers for all the feedback too guys,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some bike shops have fitting rooms. where are you based?

some bike shops have fitting rooms. where are you based?

Limerick/Shannon area at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Realistically unless you are sure of your size buying shorts online is not a good idea. The sizes vary enormously depending on the brand. Go to a bike shop that has fitting rooms. I know RAW in Limerick has them and probably some other shops. You will also get good advice. Might cost you a bit more than online but at least you can be sure of getting it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

chain reaction have free returns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Always liked Galibier shorts. Good returns policy

Advertisement