Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New clubs - different animals on real grass

Options
  • 11-06-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Lapses mid handicapper here trying to get back to the food ok days of 18 handicap. Only really play about 20 tines a year but anyway....

Have been playing with Wilson Fat Shafts that I’ve had for about 14 years and hit them reasonably and I feel fairly well on a consistent basis. So for no real reason at all except that unthought is tear myself to an upgrade I went to American Golf and tried a few irons and the ones that I hit consistently well and felt good to boot were Titleistt AP1 714.

Anyway was out yesterday to try them and worryingly I really found it hard to get any consistency. Is this very telling or should I give them a more of a chance.

Also the tracker I used inshop for just the 7 iron was saying I hit the ball with a slight to moderate draw and low and behold the minute I get out on to the course I hit my normal slight fade. I’ve never hit a draw.

So is there any hope with the new irons. Must say I was a bit deflated coming in after really looking forward to an upgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Give them more time, if they're a different weight they will feel off through out the swing.

AP1's are probably more upright so will give you a chance to hit more right to left. You still have to present the correct numbers ( which you obviously were in the fitting) to get a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Give them more time, if they're a different weight they will feel off through out the swing.

AP1's are probably more upright so will give you a chance to hit more right to left. You still have to present the correct numbers ( which you obviously were in the fitting) to get a draw.

Thanks. I’ll give them some time. I didn’t get them fitted so I’ll compare to my old clubs. Maybe the matt I hit off was very forgiving and the tracker isn’t calibrated accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I'm not being smart and I know you have the clubs now. But you should always bring a club from your current set as a barometer if trying new clubs. Simulators in these places are literally the best conditions you can think of. Unrealistic to Irish golf.

But anyway like the other poster says stick with it. It will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Rather then start a new thread. I was out at the wknd playing and was using my mates mizuno mp-4 blades.

Used 4i-9i and was hitting them really well. I felt really comfortable over them even though my HC would not be who the club's are marketed for.

Long story short they appear to be discontinued. None of the big shops have any. Just wondering if anyone here would know of anywhere to get them, online or local pro shop?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Long story short they appear to be discontinued. None of the big shops have any.

All of the good player type blade clubs from the different manufacturers would be very similar in nature. There's no new tech in these from year to year. So good cond 2nd hand a good option here.

Actually there's a nice looking set on adverts https://www.adverts.ie/irons/mizuno-mp4/15511593
    Can't speak for their condition, or whether the shafts are suitable for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi all,

Lapses mid handicapper here...

Could be your timing in an indoor vs outdoor scenario. Playing off mats different then real grass. As has been said good to hit new and old clubs back to back in a similar situation (off grass if possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Rather then start a new thread. I was out at the wknd playing and was using my mates mizuno mp-4 blades.

Used 4i-9i and was hitting them really well. I felt really comfortable over them even though my HC would not be who the club's are marketed for.

Long story short they appear to be discontinued. None of the big shops have any. Just wondering if anyone here would know of anywhere to get them, online or local pro shop?

Cheers
    golfbidder.co.uk your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

RoadRunner wrote:
    Can't speak for their condition, or whether the shafts are suitable for you.

Cheers for this. Just messaged the seller there.

Advertisement