Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable commuting bike?

Options
  • 11-06-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone,

I know basically nothing about bicycles except for how to ride on them so I need some help to make sure the money I spend for a bike will be worth it.

I would be traveling on concrete roads / sidewalks pretty much 100% of the time
    Would be using it to cycle to work / school then back home 5 KM each way and would need to do this 5-7 days a week. So I would be riding for 50 - 70+ kilometers a week on it and it would be in an area where there are frequently glass shards on sidewalks.
    Also I don't ride very fast. Around 20 km/h would be as high as I go unless I'm going down a hill in which case I'll just cruise down and maybe go up to like 35 km/h at the most

I really want to spend as little as possible as I am a student working a minimum wage job and my employer doesn't do the cycle to work scheme.

At the moment I was looking at carrera subway 1 from halfords which seems like a pretty solid bike based on reviews.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me towards choosing a decent bicycle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

a second hand mountainbike would suit you to get started. you could get slick tyres to go a bit faster if you wanted. Once you have had that for a while, you could probably sell it for close to what you bought it for, and knowing how and what you like get somethng more to your liking (if the original bike doesn't suit)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

If your in a steady job ask your boss about the cycle to work scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are a great investment on roads like that. Excellent puncture protection

Plenty of good bike shops selling 2nd hand bikes. Go in, have a chat, tell them what you want. Ask them to fit those tyres and a good Kryptonite lock and ask for one price for the whole package.

Advertisement