Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to Japan for the RWC; advice needed

• 11-06-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I’m planning a trip to Japan for the Rugby World Cup next year and would appreciate some help.

Does anyone have any advice around the best way to fly there? Finnair via Helsinki seems to be the optimum routing from my initial research.

In terms of hotels and where to stay, especially in terms of being near decent nightlife, I’d appreciate some guidance.

And does it make sense to base oneself in Tokyo and just take Bullet Trains around to see things?

And finally, what are the “must do’s” in Japan?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hi Folks,

I’m planning a trip to Japan for the Rugby World Cup next year and would appreciate some help.

Does anyone have any advice around the best way to fly there? Finnair via Helsinki seems to be the optimum routing from my initial research.

In terms of hotels and where to stay, especially in terms of being near decent nightlife, I’d appreciate some guidance.

And does it make sense to base oneself in Tokyo and just take Bullet Trains around to see things?

And finally, what are the “must do’s” in Japan?

Many thanks.

If you're doing it independently, a good starting point would be to look at the itineraries the rugby travel companies are offering for ideas of where to go and when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Caranica wrote: »
    If you're doing it independently, a good starting point would be to look at the itineraries the rugby travel companies are offering for ideas of where to go and when.

And if you plan to travel around make sure to organise pocket WiFi to collect when you arrive, there is not a load of free WiFi around but pocket WiFi is a great idea, and look at JR train passes for the length of stay. You can only buy them from outside the country so do it in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Temp closed by me.

I am going to direct you to the Rugby forum and in particular one thread open and active right here.

I think that the Rugby forum in general would better suit your query, but if you don't agree, then feel free to pm. This can be re-opened and we can perhaps merge any future, additional threads on the RugbyWorldCup in Japan, for ease of access for all (similar to what we done for the Soccer in France).

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread re-opened.

We can merge any future threads in here for the RWC Japan 2019.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Get a JapanRail pass will save you a packet, but as the other poster said must be bought before you leave.

I see that the Ireland games start in Yokahama and then move south, you could do the same.

Places like Mt Fuji, Osaka, Koyoto and Hiroshima are well worth a visit.

In Tokyo there are many different districts rather than one "city centre" so all have their own nightlife, for example Reppongi is mainly tourist whereas Shinjuku is more Japanese.

There are lots of "business hotels", these are located close to major railway station in cities and tend to have small rooms, but they are good value and they are plentiful.

Don't be put off by stories about how expensive it is, it's not really, you just have to avoid the traps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Plus one on the railpass. You'll generally break even after a journey and a half. Hyperdia.com for the timetables.

Give yourself plenty of time to exchange it when you get to Tokyo or wherever you're basing yourself (my abiding memory of Japan 2002 was the massive scrum around the exchange office in Tokyo Station on the morning of the first match).

As mentioned Japan is not expensive - unless you must have a feed of drink every evening.

Shizuoka is one change from Yokohama (less than hour travel). Maybe look at Odawara or Fujisawa for base. Odawara is handy for day trip to Hakone. Fujisawa is handy for day trips to Kamakura or Enoshima Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Get a JapanRail pass will save you a packet, but as the other poster said must be bought before you leave.

I see that the Ireland games start in Yokahama and then move south, you could do the same.

Places like Mt Fuji, Osaka, Koyoto and Hiroshima are well worth a visit.

In Tokyo there are many different districts rather than one "city centre" so all have their own nightlife, for example Reppongi is mainly tourist whereas Shinjuku is more Japanese.

There are lots of "business hotels", these are located close to major railway station in cities and tend to have small rooms, but they are good value and they are plentiful.

Don't be put off by stories about how expensive it is, it's not really, you just have to avoid the traps.

^^^^^^^ This.

Get yourself a JR railpass. (Get it before you leave). One way trip to their Japan match from Tokyo will pay for itself. You can also use the pass for the JR Ring Rail around Tokyo if you are staying near the line. you have to "activate" it in one of the train stations. I recommend doing this in one of the stations in Tokyo as opposed to the Airport as it takes some time and there is usually a large queue.

When in Tokyo you can pretty much stay anywhere (I often stay in Ueno as it's a bit cheaper but is in a main metro line (Ginza).

Regarding prices: Currency does tend to fluctuate a bit but plan on, say, 30% more expensive than Dublin at worst and about par with Dublin at best.

Plus 1 for Hiroshima. Obviously the museum is sombre but I found the city to be great fun in evening if with a group. Also while there you can use your JR pass to get ferry to HiroJima island which is worth checking out.

Tokyo: Have a look through Akihabara for the geek culture and then try Asakusa for more traditional (Both relatively close to eachother on Ginza line).

Nightlife can be a bit tricky. you have ropongi, as stated, more for ex-pats and tourists etc. I found it to be a bit sleazy. But the local places are a bit reticent about tourists.

There have been some issues with bloggers in Japan not being made welcome. This because they are doing their typical OTT blogger thing. Getting right up in people's faces. Just treat everyone the same way you would wish a tourist to treat you and your area. The people are friendly. Learn your few phrases. Signs are in English characters and Japanese and most train announcements (Like stops) are also in English and Japanese.

Of course all this could change during World Cup time given the influx of tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Luggage forwarding can make getting around a lot easier.
    We used these guys for checkout to check in delivery, they seem to be everywhere
    http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/
    (For our main luggage, we then travelled with a light bag for 2-3 days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

bbbbb wrote: »
    Luggage forwarding can make getting around a lot easier.
    We used these guys for checkout to check in delivery, they seem to be everywhere
    http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/
    (For our main luggage, we then travelled with a light bag for 2-3 days)

Actually this reminds me - you can also use the left luggage office in Tokyo station if you want to leave the bulk of your luggage and travel light for a few days. Yudanaka (about an hour from Nagano) is where the snow monkeys are and it's a lovely little onsen town. Two nights would be enough. I've stayed twice at the Shimaya Ryokan. Basic hotel but great owners.

Advertisement