Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just increase your posture damage x4 and reduce incoming damage by 92% with your mods

If he keeps beating me I just might! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

On New Game Plus.

Nearly beat Genichiro after you escape with the brat.
    Then got my ass whipped by chained ogre lol but to be fair I didn't backstab him the first time and I had like 1 gourd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Asus X540L wrote:
    Nearly beat Genichiro after you escape with the brat. Then got my ass whipped by chained ogre lol but to be fair I didn't backstab him the first time and I had like 1 gourd

Surely that can't be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

sweetie wrote: »
    Surely that can't be done?

It's actually fairly easy by the time you get to NG+, you know Genchiros moves inside out at that point. Some people done it first time round, i just let him kill me though, figured its where i was gonna lose my arm :D

nix wrote:
    It's actually fairly easy by the time you get to NG+, you know Genchiros moves inside out at that point. Some people done it first time round, i just let him kill me though, figured its where i was gonna lose my arm

But what happens then with your next meeting and the sculptor?

• Advertisement

But what happens then with your next meeting and the sculptor?

You still lose the arm and all that, You dont actually kill Genchiro in the fight, he just stammers back in the cut scene and a ninja star comes from the bushes behind you, you turn to deflect it and Genchiro takes your arm with the distract. Its all the same then after that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Argh!!!!! Only playing between 30 mins to an hour before work lately. Was in the zone with Isshin Sword Saint sphere phase. Glanced at his HP, almost down. Never got this far and thought crap I might actually get this. Panicked, did something stupid and died. F*** this game. I hate that I love it. I'd say if I'd done it in NG he'd be long down. Does insane damage in NG+.

Next attempt had him just under half HP. Ran away to heal (very very hard to find time to heal in this phase) straight off the cliff. Death. FML.

Argh!!!!! Only playing between 30 mins to an hour before work lately. Was in the zone with Isshin Sword Saint sphere phase. Glanced at his HP, almost down. Never got this far and thought crap I might actually get this. Panicked, did something stupid and died. F*** this game. I hate that I love it. I'd say if I'd done it in NG he'd be long down. Does insane damage in NG+.

Next attempt had him just under half HP. Ran away to heal (very very hard to find time to heal in this phase) straight off the cliff. Death. FML.

hah was same as me, first time i nearly had him, i had loads of heals left, but when i saw how well i was doing, the nerves went crazy and i made dumb mistakes and died..

With the healing, just use firecrackers, they give you plenty of time to gord, no running away and you get to keep the pressure on..

Took a few days off from this, and got back to it today. Still can't beat isshin, but I managed to get him down to his last 10% of his first spear phase. Best I've done yet. I ran out of gourds and pellets and emblems. If I had one or two more gourds I probably would have gotten to the last phase and lightning spammed him to bits. Kind of figured out what I need to do, I just need to be a lot better at doing it.
    Warning rant ahead:
    I know you are supposed to git gud but **** me this fight is beyond ridiculous. I am sick to ****ing death of having to fight Genichiro every ****ing time I restart. Its annoying and frustrating and kind of pointless given isshin is so bloody tough. No need for it.
    /rant.

nix wrote: »
    hah was same as me, first time i nearly had him, i had loads of heals left, but when i saw how well i was doing, the nerves went crazy and i made dumb mistakes and died..

With the healing, just use firecrackers, they give you plenty of time to gord, no running away and you get to keep the pressure on..

Yep, loads of heals left when above happened, both times. Bit crap we can fall off cliff but not enemy but I suppose that's par for the course now with FS. I always get hit when I use the firecrackers so stopped. Trying to keep emblems for umbrella when he uses his ashina arts and ako's spirit fall to buff a bit but must def try the firecracker tactic as I am reliably getting to his second stage and taking half his HP but inevitably mess it up.
    I know you are supposed to git gud but **** me this fight is beyond ridiculous. I am sick to ****ing death of having to fight Genichiro every ****ing time I restart. Its annoying and frustrating and kind of pointless given isshin is so bloody tough. No need for it.
    /rant.

Know what you mean but can generally swat him like a fly now but sometimes he still manages to kill me. I just accept death on those occasions, not wasting a res on him. I'm just tired of skipping the cutscene and hearing him say how he'll restore ashina to glory. We'll get ISS, we both seem to be getting much further than a few days ago.

Oh and do you keep going back to that kid for rice? It's one extra healing item, just in case.

• Advertisement

Yep, loads of heals left when above happened, both times. Bit crap we can fall off cliff but not enemy but I suppose that's par for the course now with FS. I always get hit when I use the firecrackers so stopped. Trying to keep emblems for umbrella when he uses his ashina arts and ako's spirit fall to buff a bit but must def try the firecracker tactic as I am reliably getting to his second stage and taking half his HP but inevitably mess it up.

Know what you mean but can generally swat him like a fly now but sometimes he still manages to kill me. I just accept death on those occasions, not wasting a res on him. I'm just tired of skipping the cutscene and hearing him say how he'll restore ashina to glory. We'll get ISS, we both seem to be getting much further than a few days ago.

Oh and do you keep going back to that kid for rice? It's one extra healing item, just in case.
    I can reliably destroy Genichiro in about a minute now, it's just annoying having to deal with him at all! I use high monk with akos spirit fall and wreck his posture in no time. Sometimes I might mistake his perilous attacks and try to mikiri instead of jumping and he gets a hit in, but mostly I take no damage from him.
    I used to run at Isshins first phase to bait him into running and doing his three swipe attack and then doing a thrust attack on him. This works well but takes absolutely ages. So I've been getting better at going toe to toe with him. It's tough to build his posture up as his attacks do so much damage to your vitality and posture bar. I'm using too many consumables in this phase. His ichimonji is tough to dodge, or I'm useless because I can never seem to get away from it, and he has some fast counter attacks that are very tough to block/deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Just beat the double ape fight, god damn that first phase was super-cheap with the hit-box or timing on the grab. Lost count of how many times I jumped only to be caught anyway. Enjoyable apart from that. The aesthetics of phase 2 rock, with all the squirming and popping his head back on to scream :D

I find the ichimonji is his easiest attack to punish. When he starts the animation I hit him twice, then dodge and give him a double ichimonji of my own. Maybe fighting the other version of him helped me with the move.

beans wrote: »
    Just beat the double ape fight, god damn that first phase was super-cheap with the hit-box or timing on the grab. Lost count of how many times I jumped only to be caught anyway. Enjoyable apart from that. The aesthetics of phase 2 rock, with all the squirming and popping his head back on to scream :D

Yeah it's a good fight. He reminds me of the dancer in the second phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Yeah it's a good fight. He reminds me of the dancer in the second phase.

I get a kick out of spotting the DNA of the BloodSouls universe leaking into Sekiro :) The wall-dudes in the snake-cave are straight out of DSII.

Progress, got isshin down to 50% of his last phase. Fell off the cliff dodging a spear attack ffs. Revived and messed up the timing on a lightning reversal. Victory was within my grasp!

Progress, got isshin down to 50% of his last phase. Fell off the cliff dodging a spear attack ffs. Revived and messed up the timing on a lightning reversal. Victory was within my grasp!

Fair play to you man. I'm still only getting to phase two. Came so close so many times and every time now its misreading his sweep as a thrust and trying to Mikiri it that kills me. Was one deflect away from breaking his posture at one stage.

Fair play to you man. I'm still only getting to phase two. Came so close so many times and every time now its misreading his sweep as a thrust and trying to Mikiri it that kills me. Was one deflect away from breaking his posture at one stage.

Stay well away from him, let him jump at you with the spear. Dodge forward at the last second and hit him once when his back is turned then run for your life! Rinse and repeat. You can use the umbrella to take the spear hit and immediately counter using the projected force, but you will run out of emblems and have to do the above eventually but the umbrella will get you through the first spear phase relatively unscathed.
    If he uses the gun before jumping, just deflect and run if you are not confident dealing with him up close like me!

What really annoyed me in this game was when you upgraded your emblems they only increased by 1 each time.

What really annoyed me in this game was when you upgraded your emblems they only increased by 1 each time.

Yeah, mine are at 20 now. Seems like loads but in a long fight like isshin, they are gone in no time at all between prosthetics and spiritfall. Annoying alright.

• Advertisement

Stay well away from him, let him jump at you with the spear. Dodge forward at the last second and hit him once when his back is turned then run for your life! Rinse and repeat. You can use the umbrella to take the spear hit and immediately counter using the projected force, but you will run out of emblems and have to do the above eventually but the umbrella will get you through the first spear phase relatively unscathed.
    If he uses the gun before jumping, just deflect and run if you are not confident dealing with him up close like me!

Thanks man. Managed to get to third phase once but screwed up timing on the lightning return, got shocked and hit with a follow up attack and died. I still had 5 heals left plus rice so very p'd off with myself. Going to chill for a while then try again.

Cheesed Demon of Hatred for the extra attack power boost. Couldn't even get rid of one if his health bars fighting normally and his attacks were one shotting me.

If you're doing the run away from Isshin cheese, you're going to be massively prolonging the fight and making it even more frustrating when you die.

If you're using the umbrella to block his sword arts (which are very easy to dodge/punish) you're wasting relics and prolonging the fight.

Just learn his attacks, if you're just visually paying attention for the YoukaiSlayer sign to react, you're gonna **** up 50% of the time (just use your ears to listen out for that trigger), use your eyes to pay attention to his actual stance, once you do that, you can tell if hes going to poke or wind up for a sweep easily and mirkiri or jump on him accordingly.

The swords arts are easy to dodge and you can punish them a lot.

I got the moves down so much, that if Genchiro even landed an attack on me, i would purposely die to restart the fight. If you play it right, you can have him killed within 30 seconds.

Are you guys using the shield on Genchiro too?

I'm not running away from Isshin but I am using umbrella on his weapon arts. I'm going straight up sword to sword/spear/gun. I've no other prosthetics equipped so use the fire umbrella then whack him with living force. I really seem to have a hard time recognising the sweep. I try mikiri it every time and die. And the last time I thought I had it he did a ******* thrust which I jumped and he killed me. There is too much going on for my old man reflexes in phase 2. I might have to accept defeat on this one. Or maybe start a new game and fight him there instead of NG+.

If you're doing the run away from Isshin cheese, you're going to be massively prolonging the fight and making it even more frustrating when you die.

If you're using the umbrella to block his sword arts (which are very easy to dodge/punish) you're wasting relics and prolonging the fight.

Just learn his attacks, if you're just visually paying attention for the YoukaiSlayer sign to react, you're gonna **** up 50% of the time (just use your ears to listen out for that trigger), use your eyes to pay attention to his actual stance, once you do that, you can tell if hes going to poke or wind up for a sweep easily and mirkiri or jump on him accordingly.

The swords arts are easy to dodge and you can punish them a lot.

I got the moves down so much, that if Genchiro even landed an attack on me, i would purposely die to restart the fight. If you play it right, you can have him killed within 30 seconds.

Are you guys using the shield on Genchiro too?

Easier said than done! I go toe to toe with Genichiro and beat him quickly but isshin is not so easy.

Easier said than done! I go toe to toe with Genichiro and beat him quickly but isshin is not so easy.

Oh i know, im not saying that, my meaning is that its best to be starting the Ishin phase unscathed, as its a bad sign if yer limping in to that fight.

My first reaction to fighting ishin was to keep my distant and wait for openings, but i found the more distant I gave him the more lethal he became, in all phases. So I found being always aggressive at all times to be more successful and less dangerous. If you're running away to heal, you're opening yourself to some of his more lethal attacks, and that gets even more dangerous when the spear comes out and he has more reach and a pistol.

Even when you're near death, always be advancing to hit him with a firecracker so you can heal, as soon as you firecracker him, gord straight away, you finish drinking before his flinch is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

I would say to just jump backwards in this situation till you recognize the tells for his different unblockable attacks,then you can press jump and forward and forward and circle for the sweep and thrust attacks respectively.There is a sound that plays when the red sign comes up on screen and that's your que to Counter

Oh i know, im not saying that, my meaning is that its best to be starting the Ishin phase unscathed, as its a bad sign if yer limping in to that fight.

My first reaction to fighting ishin was to keep my distant and wait for openings, but i found the more distant I gave him the more lethal he became, in all phases. So I found being always aggressive at all times to be more successful and less dangerous. If you're running away to heal, you're opening yourself to some of his more lethal attacks, and that gets even more dangerous when the spear comes out and he has more reach and a pistol.

Even when you're near death, always be advancing to hit him with a firecracker so you can heal, as soon as you firecracker him, gord straight away, you finish drinking before his flinch is over.
    Followed this advice and nearly beat him. I had him down to his last 10%. I got too excited and tried to keep hitting him instead of blocking and got killed. Taking a break from it tonight. I'm fairly sure I'll get him tomorrow.
    I was struggling with his attacks for ages but tonight it just clicked and I was battering him!

Followed this advice and nearly beat him. I had him down to his last 10%. I got too excited and tried to keep hitting him instead of blocking and got killed. Taking a break from it tonight. I'm fairly sure I'll get him tomorrow.
    I was struggling with his attacks for ages but tonight it just clicked and I was battering him!

giphy.gif

YES YES YES YES YES

Finally! I let out a roar that I'm sure all of my neighbours heard. So satisfying to finally take him down. Almost had him before this but missed what would have been the last mikiri to fill posture and got slashed to death .

Not sure I have it in me to face Owl Father in NG+2.

Here's how it ended.

• Advertisement

Nice one dood! Congrats! :)

Nice job on the lightning counters, i gave up on them and just ran behind because i kept ****ing up the timing and getting wrecked. The sword art you kept umbrella-ing on phase 2 onward, all you had to do was jump on top of him to counter :pac:

And id bet Owl pt 2 is alot less stressful than that fight tbh, i hope anyway, ive yet to jump back into it :D

Advertisement