Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

NG+ feels like a new game. Nothing like the NG+ in the Souls game where you were still pretty OP over the scrubs.
    Each enemy is a battle and perfect deflects are needed or else your health suffers slightly.
    I happily motored to the blazing bull last night. Only died once or twice. The blazing f**king bull though is a tank. I'm doing no damage to the pr**k and he's nearly 1 shotting me every time.
    Gonna have to git gud all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So..... big-ass snake..... No-one told me about the big-ass snake....

Made it past him anyway to the next castle area, but don't know if I should go back to the Hirata Estate and continue through there. Made it past the spear shinobi there before dying to the guys in the woods and the game kicking me back out to the Dilapidated Temple.

I am enjoying the game a lot though, far more than I did with Bloodborne after the same amount of time. A few small niggles but no major annoyances so far anyway.

Penn wrote: »
    So..... big-ass snake..... No-one told me about the big-ass snake....

Made it past him anyway to the next castle area, but don't know if I should go back to the Hirata Estate and continue through there. Made it past the spear shinobi there before dying to the guys in the woods and the game kicking me back out to the Dilapidated Temple.

I am enjoying the game a lot though, far more than I did with Bloodborne after the same amount of time. A few small niggles but no major annoyances so far anyway.

There is an item to make a prosthetic tool in Hirata that is useful. As you have made it past the snake you may not need it again for a while.
    The tool is
    a flame vent and is great against anything with red eyes. Horse a few jars of oil on them and then use the flame vent for a lotta damage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the Fire Cracker pretty much essential against the more feral enemies.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Found the Fire Cracker pretty much essential against the more feral enemies.

That's sold by one of the memorial mob in Ashina outskirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

The skill I used mostly for my whole playthrough was the black feathers. It beats all.

There is an item to make a prosthetic tool in Hirata that is useful. As you have made it past the snake you may not need it again for a while.
    The tool is
    a flame vent and is great against anything with red eyes. Horse a few jars of oil on them and then use the flame vent for a lotta damage

Have the flame vent, firecrackers and loaded axe prosthetic tools. Missed the guy selling the firecrackers my first few times in that area until I spotted him from a distance near the entrance leading to the chained ogre. Flame vent and axe I got my first time in Hirata Estate. Died to the spear shinobi after that area and it kicked me back to Ashina because of dragonrot. Figured the oil and flame trick after eavesdropping on the guards near the ogre. That worked well enough on him.

I didn't think I was supposed to attack the snake at all, was just sneaking past him until I hid in a cabin or tent or something and got the chance to poke him in the eye. After that I just legged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Rob2D wrote: »
    The skill I used mostly for my whole playthrough was the black feathers. It beats all.

Never figured out how to use it, to be honest. The feathers would fly, I'd stay where I was, and that's that. I tried 'moving' just after triggering it, but no luck.

beans wrote: »
    Never figured out how to use it, to be honest. The feathers would fly, I'd stay where I was, and that's that. I tried 'moving' just after triggering it, but no luck.

It's a counter, you have to wait for an attack. Use it in neutral and you go up or input a direction to "teleport" that way.
    Like you can go in and land more hits leaving you vulnerable, then when they swing just hit the feathers to teleport behind them and continue your attack. You can make an absolute fool out of most enemies in the game.
    And for bosses it's a free get out of jail card. Boss got you in the corner and there's a death blow incoming? *poof* Just bampf through it to safety.

Thought I was getting on well. Took down the general on the horse and the blazing bull with relative ease. Made it to Ashina Castle.

D*ckhead straight ahead surrounded by guards.
    D*ckhead Seven Spears guy to my left.
    D*ckheads on the roofs to my right.
    D*ckhead kicking guy down in the well where I started the game.

F*ck this, I'm going back to Hirata Estate for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

:D Divide and conquer!

But yeah, it's good to have another area to go to when the game pisses you off!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thought I was getting on well. Took down the general on the horse and the blazing bull with relative ease. Made it to Ashina Castle.

D*ckhead straight ahead surrounded by guards.
    D*ckhead Seven Spears guy to my left.
    D*ckheads on the roofs to my right.
    D*ckhead kicking guy down in the well where I started the game.

F*ck this, I'm going back to Hirata Estate for a while.

Lots of people struggle with the bull. Took me a while to figure out you can parry him and then follow up with firecrackers for making damage time!!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Lots of people struggle with the bull. Took me a while to figure out you can parry him and then follow up with firecrackers for making damage time!!

Didn't even know you could parry him. Dodging didn't work the first time and I knew I couldn't jump high enough, so I just sprinted everywhere until I could firecracker him. Got him second try.

So, not going to lie, I googled a bit to see where to pick up some upgrades/tools, so last night I picked up the Sabimaru, Loaded Umbrella and Mist Raven feathers. Haven't had a chance to use them yet though.

Also wasn't sure where the hell I was supposed to go. In Hirata Estate after beating the Drunkard I came to a locked door but not sure where to get key. I did find out though that Lady Butterfly is behind it and she's apparently a right aul' b*tch. In Ashina Castle I only tried the upper levels once but not sure whether to continue through there. Also took a wander through the Ashina Depths and through Sunken Valley, nopeing the f*ck out of some mini-boss battles along the way, so I've probably reached places I'm underlevelled (or rather underskilled/under-experienced) for, so I guess I'll keep wandering up Ashina Castle for now.

There's not really underlevelling in that game.

You're at the bit where got to anyway, the game opens up a lot more there. But life interfered so I haven't been back in months. However you should have the means to open that door for Lady Butterfly as I was able to and beat her by that stage.

Also she is a ballbag to beat but a great fight.

There's not really underlevelling in that game.

You're at the bit where got to anyway, the game opens up a lot more there. But life interfered so I haven't been back in months. However you should have the means to open that door for Lady Butterfly as I was able to and beat her by that stage.

Just keeps saying the door is locked. I thought I needed to use a snap seed because maybe the door was an illusion or something but nothing happened when I used it (since the wounded guy gives you one just before that and says you won't proceed without it), but I read I need a key. Still have another 5 snap seeds anyway so no great loss. Will have to check to see where I was supposed to get the key from.

Definitely want one more prayer bead for the next upgrade before I face anyone major anyway.

So, not going to lie, I googled a bit to see where to pick up some upgrades/tools, so last night I picked up the Sabimaru, Loaded Umbrella and Mist Raven feathers. Haven't had a chance to use them yet though.

Also wasn't sure where the hell I was supposed to go. In Hirata Estate after beating the Drunkard I came to a locked door but not sure where to get key. I did find out though that Lady Butterfly is behind it and she's apparently a right aul' b*tch. In Ashina Castle I only tried the upper levels once but not sure whether to continue through there. Also took a wander through the Ashina Depths and through Sunken Valley, nopeing the f*ck out of some mini-boss battles along the way, so I've probably reached places I'm underlevelled (or rather underskilled/under-experienced) for, so I guess I'll keep wandering up Ashina Castle for now.

You get the key for the door behind the Drunkard from the guy at the start of the area injured in front of the flames.

You get the key for the door behind the Drunkard from the guy at the start of the area injured in front of the flames.

Ah, just checked a video because I wasn't sure where you were talking about. I think once I crossed the bridge leading to the temple, I was wandering around the side anyway to see what was there and ended up going in through the cave, so I never went into that first area in the Temple at all.

Yeah she's the best of the early fights.

She'll wreck you the first couple try's until you learn the pattern. Then you'll see she's actually one of the easiest bosses.

Damn I wanna play this again. Best From Software game imo. I haven't played Bloodborne though.

• Advertisement

Damn I wanna play this again. Best From Software game imo. I haven't played Bloodborne though.

Funny enough considering how people go on about it, but I'd probably pick Bloodborne last of all the souls titles. Not to say it isn't great too.

Well, maybe I'd pick it over DS2.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I haven't played Bloodborne though.

Remedy that my friend, its up there with Sekiro, i cant decide which i prefer out of the two, i think it might be Bloodborne, but thats probably only because ive spent more time on it, that could change but doubtful.. Bloodborne has so much more replay value, mainly because of all the different weapons and builds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

nix wrote: »
    Remedy that my friend, its up there with Sekiro, i cant decide which i prefer out of the two, i think it might be Bloodborne, but thats probably only because ive spent more time on it, that could change but doubtful.. Bloodborne has so much more replay value, mainly because of all the different weapons and builds..

I end up using the Saw Cleaver and Ludwig Holy blade despite my intentions to do something differently when I play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I end up using the Saw Cleaver and Ludwig Holy blade despite my intentions to do something differently when I play.

Ludwigs Holy blade is probably my least favourite weapon in the whole game, id much rather use Holy Moonlight Sword. Saw cleaver is just so good and reliable, its hard not to like it.. But eh ive played BB so much that ive done a run for nearly all possible weapon combinations.. Church pick is probably the only one i never really bothered with, and thats mainly because i preferred other similar stats required weapons over it..

Don't know about the tracking attacks being bad design in Sekiro. Think it's good design actually. Forces you to learn to block and deflect and makes it difficult to disengage from combat. Seems cheap at first as every other game has a dodge mechanic but the dodge in Sekiro is only used for grab attacks.

It's kind of like the complaints I hear against another of my favourite games, ghouls n'ghost. Why can't I move when I jump. It's part of the gameplay and jumping is a very dangerous thing as you have to totally commit to each jump so only do it when you are absolutely sure unlike a mario or sonic game.

Don't know about the tracking attacks being bad design in Sekiro. Think it's good design actually. Forces you to learn to block and deflect and makes it difficult to disengage from combat. Seems cheap at first as every other game has a dodge mechanic but the dodge in Sekiro is only used for grab attacks.

So the dodge means you can dodge out of the way of attacks but only specific attacks even though it should by all metrics also move you out of the way of other attacks? Do grab attacks track too? I'd have thought the same principle should be used for both.

Anyway, beat Seven Spears, then actually took down Lady Butterfly on second try. Feeling happy with that.

Then I got killed about 15 times by the Ashina Elite in the castle, half the time because he instantly hit me while resurrecting even if I held or hammered L1, and once because he killed me through a wooden column that was there.

Look, I'm enjoying the game for the most part, and getting more used to it. But some of the mechanics and enemies in the game are cheap and flawed as f*ck.

So the dodge means you can dodge out of the way of attacks but only specific attacks even though it should by all metrics also move you out of the way of other attacks? Do grab attacks track too? I'd have thought the same principle should be used for both.

Anyway, beat Seven Spears, then actually took down Lady Butterfly on second try. Feeling happy with that.

Then I got killed about 15 times by the Ashina Elite in the castle, half the time because he instantly hit me while resurrecting even if I held or hammered L1, and once because he killed me through a wooden column that was there.

Look, I'm enjoying the game for the most part, and getting more used to it. But some of the mechanics and enemies in the game are cheap and flawed as f*ck.

Ashina Elite is the mini boss with the really fast double strike?

If that's the one I'm thinking his attack breaks your posture really fast and damages you through your block. You have to perfectly deflect him and he's easy enough. Look for the glint when he goes to draw his sword.

You can't block or deflect properly when resurrecting I don't think, so wait until he moves away a bit and then res and back up to put space between you before healing.

Grabs don't track unlike other attacks. Also I do remember the game telling you that dodges are for grab attacks. Think it might be the tutorial guy at the starting area when you practice on him.

Ashina Elite is the mini boss with the really fast double strike?

If that's the one I'm thinking his attack breaks your posture really fast and damages you through your block. You have to perfectly deflect him and he's easy enough. Look for the glint when he goes to draw his sword.

You can't block or deflect properly when resurrecting I don't think, so wait until he moves away a bit and then res and back up to put space between you before healing.

Funnily enough, the fact his main attack is so quick and singular, I'm finding dodging to his left to be pretty safe most of the time (noticed the glint of his sword alright) and quicker to get an opening on him as it doesn't track like other enemies. Main issue I've been having though is getting too close to walls or trying to get time and distance to heal.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, the fact his main attack is so quick and singular, I'm finding dodging to his left to be pretty safe most of the time (noticed the glint of his sword alright) and quicker to get an opening on him as it doesn't track like other enemies. Main issue I've been having though is getting too close to walls or trying to get time and distance to heal.

You won't beat him by chipping away at his health because he'll eventually catch you. If you face him directly and deflect him the fight will be over in less than 2 minutes.

Edit: it reads like your playing the game as if it's Dark Souls. You need to stop dodging and rely on deflects the vast majority of the time.

Advertisement