Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

One thing I hate is having to hold square to collect money, bollox of a mechanic.

I also used a bell to go into a memory but got my ass kicked by a shinobi hunter. Must go back there but I take it these memories are like optional levels?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Depends on what you call optional... I'll say no more.

The shinobi hunter is basically a tutorial for mikiri counter which is absolutely essential and should be one of the first upgrades you get.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Depends on what you call optional... I'll say no more.

The shinobi hunter is basically a tutorial for mikiri counter which is absolutely essential and should be one of the first upgrades you get.

Ah saw mention of that alright, must head back there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The guy in the temple area will give a mikiri tutorial as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    One thing I hate is having to hold square to collect money, bollox of a mechanic.

I also used a bell to go into a memory but got my ass kicked by a shinobi hunter. Must go back there but I take it these memories are like optional levels?

Some good upgrades to be gotten in that level. The axe prosthetic tool is there (probably already got it if you reached the guy with the spear). The boss at the end of the level is one of the best fights in the game too.

And yeah, if you just hold block your posture meter will go down a lot quicker, so do that whenever you can get a breather or a bit of space. Perfect deflects won't raise your posture meter at all. And definitely get the Mikiri Counter when you can. You can practice it with the guy near the dilapidated temple too, well worth doing a few times before taking on the spear guy again. It's a skill you'll be using constantly in the game.

Jump sweep attacks, Mikiri counter thrust attacks, dodge grab attacks. Pretty much everything else can just be blocked. You just need to try recognise which of the three unblockable attacks the enemy is going for when the symbol appears.

You're progressing well so far anyway. Took me ages to get to where you are :D

Also, one tip because it confused the hell out of me for my first while playing: Buy coin purses when you can. Even though they cost 10% more than the money you get, it's essentially banking your money so you don't lose it when you die. Then only use the purses when you want to buy something.

• Advertisement

Met the chap who told me about the axa but must have missed it, got killed by shinobi hunter and it put me back at the temple with the black lung. Never went back but will next time I'm on.

I used to worry about losing my souls upon death before but not pushed about losing my stuff in this as i can't get them back.

Can i reverse the black lung or do those items stick with me?

Also i take it the only items i can pick up are consumables (which I'm absolutely terrible for using in any game) and prosthetic tools? Kind of nice not hunting down better weapons. Lastly, the sound of swords clashing is glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Went back to Hirata Estate and explored a little more. Beat the fat fella and have now met Lady Butterfly. These boss fights are so damn good. Have not beat her yet but by god, this is edge of the seat stuff. I'm playing on the series x and I'm taking advantage of the record function on the controller. Some of these fights need to be shared/watched again.

You'll get an item later on in the game that will reverse the rot and put your unseen aid back to 30%

Met the chap who told me about the axa but must have missed it, got killed by shinobi hunter and it put me back at the temple with the black lung. Never went back but will next time I'm on.

I used to worry about losing my souls upon death before but not pushed about losing my stuff in this as i can't get them back.

Can i reverse the black lung or do those items stick with me?

Also i take it the only items i can pick up are consumables (which I'm absolutely terrible for using in any game) and prosthetic tools? Kind of nice not hunting down better weapons. Lastly, the sound of swords clashing is glorious.

You can reverse the Dragonrot. It happens usually if you die too often in the same area. If you go back to the dilapidated temple and talk to Emma (possibly a few times), she'll tell you how to fix. You basically just have to go to the old woman in a house (the one who gave you the bell to go to Hirata Estate), get a sample of her blood and bring it back to Emma. Any time dragonrot happens after that, you can cure it from any idol once you have a something-or-other consumable, forget the name of it. It doesn't matter a huge lot, just affects NPCs and stops some of their side stuff. Also reduces your Unseen Aid (when you die, you have a 30% chance not to lose xp/coins, this drops to 5-10% with dragonrot). Usually best to wait until you've got past the bit/boss you're stuck on, then cure it.

The axe I think is in one of the guarded huts before the enemies with the wooden shields (because the axe helps destroy their shields).

And yeah, dying never felt as bad in Sekiro as Bloodborne/Souls because you don't have to try get back to where you were, or lose a whole heap of souls. Your xp is saved every level and banked.

As for things you pick up, aside from consumables there's also upgrade materials for your prosthetic tools. You get a prayer bead for every boss or mini-boss you beat, every four of them increases your health bar, but you can also find them in chests and stuff too. But yeah its not as complicated as other Souls games as there's no different classes or builds. The prosthetics and some of the skills can completely change your playstyle though.

Got my axe and the cool Mikiri counter but stuck on Jizzy the drunk, bastard!

• Advertisement

That fight was where I was probably most frustrated with the game, because the tracking of the enemies was more apparent than ever, with the drunkard literally turning 270degrees on the ball of his foot during his big wind-up attack to hit me as I dodged around him.

Penn wrote: »
    That fight was where I was probably most frustrated with the game, because the tracking of the enemies was more apparent than ever, with the drunkard literally turning 270degrees on the ball of his foot during his big wind-up attack to hit me as I dodged around him.

I got him down to a few hits left so can definitely take him. Cleared out the enemies, then asked eejit for help on jizzy and got him down to 1 orb no prob. Then just taking my time and not getting greedy, should get him on my next go...

Ha, killed by the regular enemies, **** this game :pac:

That's when the soulsbourne reflexes let you down. When you fight similar enemies later on it's so much easier as you are parrying rather than dodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sneak up the left side of the arena and you'll be able to get behind him.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sneak up the left side of the arena and you'll be able to get behind him.

I tried that but come out behind one of the axe guys with Jiz behind a bit of a wall so he sees me as soon as I pop out.

You should be able to take out most of his cohorts as well, just run away and he wil de-agro. then stab him in the back and you'll only have to deal with one life bar.

It's a pain as you'll have to de-aggro him multiple times but it's some much less bull**** to deal with.

You should be able to take out most of his cohorts as well, just run away and he wil de-agro. then stab him in the back and you'll only have to deal with one life bar.

It's a pain as you'll have to de-aggro him multiple times but it's some much less bull**** to deal with.

Yeah, I got him one backstab a couple of times, I think my problem is the more I die, the more I rush which is never good, same as the Souls games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Like above... kill all regular enemies ASAP. Run away to de-agro him, then sneak up left and get a free deathblow. Then run fast to the NPC and you will both make light work of finishing him off.

Don't worry zero cool. The next boss isn't too far off and you'll be stuck there as well :cool:

Got to Lady Butterfly, absolutely **** that nonsense. 2 goes was enough to know I'm not that good yet. Went back to the main story path, came across a giant snake that I still don't know I fluked past it, got to a castle, dropped into a battlefield that I know looked dodgy as **** and then a horse bastard wrecked me. Boom, back at the cliff before the snake, I was gonna give up until I realised Snake's not there anymore. didn't think a little poke would annoy him that much.

Anyway, back to the battlefield and boom, I absolutely wreck horse bastard. Find some rat side mission thing, push on and get wrecked by the famous bull :pac: This game is a rollercoaster of emotions...

• Advertisement

Got to Lady Butterfly, absolutely **** that nonsense. 2 goes was enough to know I'm not that good yet. Went back to the main story path, came across a giant snake that I still don't know I fluked past it, got to a castle, dropped into a battlefield that I know looked dodgy as **** and then a horse bastard wrecked me. Boom, back at the cliff before the snake, I was gonna give up until I realised Snake's not there anymore. didn't think a little poke would annoy him that much.

Anyway, back to the battlefield and boom, I absolutely wreck horse bastard. Find some rat side mission thing, push on and get wrecked by the famous bull :pac: This game is a rollercoaster of emotions...

You're good enough for her. Just will take a bit of learning.

You're good enough for her. Just will take a bit of learning.

Well that's a boost i didn't think i need but is much welcome :D

Cool will go back to her so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm enjoying your posts of play through here, brings back memories :pac:

Well that's a boost i didn't think i need but is much welcome :D

Cool will go back to her so.

You might die to her about 47 times, but you'll get her on the 48th :D

I loved this fight. My favourite so far. Died many times but I eventually beat her. When she floats in the air, throw a ninja star to get her down. Keep at it, you'll learn her moves and beat her

Beat the bull after a few goes, very satisfying when you can nail the parry every time. Headed towards the castle, met the roof ninjas and the hilarious kite fellas. Got lost, found some idols, got lost some more and then I found the area where I started. Found some locked doors but no keys. Looking at the idols, I have no idea which one leads to the next are and I'm going around in circles. I'm obviously missing keys/ finding other side of locked door but the place is so sprawling with death around every corner. Definitely could do with a quick/no thinking relaxing game to play in between Sekiro sessions.

Beat the bull after a few goes, very satisfying when you can nail the parry every time. Headed towards the castle, met the roof ninjas and the hilarious kite fellas. Got lost, found some idols, got lost some more and then I found the area where I started. Found some locked doors but no keys. Looking at the idols, I have no idea which one leads to the next are and I'm going around in circles. I'm obviously missing keys/ finding other side of locked door but the place is so sprawling with death around every corner. Definitely could do with a quick/no thinking relaxing game to play in between Sekiro sessions.

On the roofs with the ninjas, there's an open window into the castle (around the back, just around where the second kite guy attacks you). That's the next area you're supposed to go in terms of progression.

On the roofs with the ninjas, there's an open window into the castle (around the back, just around where the second kite guy attacks you). That's the next area you're supposed to go in terms of progression.

I found that after I decided to just leg it, the relief when I found the idol inside. Got to a door that was locked with a guy on the other side, dropped to bottom floor of pagoda and out to reservoir. Maybe I missed something in that pagoda? The multiple samurai guys don't give me much chance to suss the place out, might go back and try clearing them out proper.

Also, wehen I do the mikiri counter, a lot of times, I pull it off but the guy swats me away. Am I doing something wrong?

I found that after I decided to just leg it, the relief when I found the idol inside. Got to a door that was locked with a guy on the other side, dropped to bottom floor of pagoda and out to reservoir. Maybe I missed something in that pagoda? The multiple samurai guys don't give me much chance to suss the place out, might go back and try clearing them out proper.

If I remember right, in the room with the samurai guys you can zip up into the roof space and then drop down into the other room. Can't remember it being locked but maybe you get the key off one of the guys inside and can open it after.

• Advertisement

Also, wehen I do the mikiri counter, a lot of times, I pull it off but the guy swats me away. Am I doing something wrong?

No, that's correct on some enemies, particularly bosses/mini-bosses. You're still building up their posture bar (greater than a deflect would) even though you're not getting a hit in, so you're still working to open them up for the deathblow.

Advertisement