Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CryptoCurrency Tax

• 11-06-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I am new to the whole Cryptocurrency thing and I was wondering if someone could tell me if I have to pay tax on Cryptocurrency (Ripple) if I buy it, hold onto it and not sell it. Also, In order to buy Ripple I had to buy Ethereum then ripple, so do I have to pay tax on that or not?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dublin_Lad wrote: »
    I was wondering if someone could tell me if I have to pay tax on Cryptocurrency (Ripple) if I buy it, hold onto it and not sell it.
    If you hold onto it/don't sell it then no gain has been solidified, no tax to be paid unless you realise a profit.
    Dublin_Lad wrote: »
    In order to buy Ripple I had to buy Ethereum then ripple, so do I have to pay tax on that or not?
    If you bought one straight after the other then you're very unlikely to have made enough of a profit to owe tax, but you should keep track of the prices and do your bookkeeping anyway - best to start early, before it becomes an abyss of trades which you may have to figure out and track months later.

If you'd bought 10 ETH @ €100 and sold at €450 for €4500 worth of whatever (fiat or crypto, doesn't matter) you would have realised a gain of €3500 and would owe 33% CGT on €3500 - €1270 which is €735.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

There will be no taxes due on a loss so not to worry.

Advertisement