Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery

• 11-06-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Any advice/recommendations/praise/horror stories from anyone out there?!

In the mix so far:

Optilase
    Optical Express
    Mater Private
    Wellington

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I had surgery in Optilase a couple years back. Had a million questions (and fears!) at my initial consultation. Found the staff there very helpful and patient. The procedure itself was a doddle and I'm very pleased with the results. The only very minor downside I've experienced is if I'm very very tired and driving at night I occasionally get a bad halo effect glare from lights, but that's it. Would get it done again in a heartbeat!
    If you decide to go down the Optilase road, I've a referral code that would knock €100 off the price if you want it.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Badger Boy

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I had surgery in Optilase a couple years back. Had a million questions (and fears!) at my initial consultation. Found the staff there very helpful and patient. The procedure itself was a doddle and I'm very pleased with the results. The only very minor downside I've experienced is if I'm very very tired and driving at night I occasionally get a bad halo effect glare from lights, but that's it. Would get it done again in a heartbeat!
    If you decide to go down the Optilase road, I've a referral code that would knock €100 off the price if you want it.
    Best of luck!

Thank you very much, they are in the mix so I may come looking for the code!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Had it done in Optilase.

Very bad experience, the contacts they put in your eyes to hold down the flap of skin while it heals, well they "slipped" on me. Extreme pain. First one slipped on the way home in the car, rang them and they said just to keep using the anesthetic eyedrops.

The 2nd one slipped unknownst to me. After about 10 years, I ended up needing glasses again.

That being said, it did work. It corrected my vision to pretty near 20/20. But i had to stay in a dark room for about 2 weeks, such was the pain from even daylight.

I wouldn't get it again

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Badger Boy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Had it done in Optilase.

Very bad experience, the contacts they put in your eyes to hold down the flap of skin while it heals, well they "slipped" on me. Extreme pain. First one slipped on the way home in the car, rang them and they said just to keep using the anesthetic eyedrops.

The 2nd one slipped unknownst to me. After about 10 years, I ended up needing glasses again.

That being said, it did work. It corrected my vision to pretty near 20/20. But i had to stay in a dark room for about 2 weeks, such was the pain from even daylight.

I wouldn't get it again

Thanks. Sorry to hear it went bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I had Lasik done at Optilase in Ely Place 3 years ago. Everything went 100%.. pre surgery consultation / check, surgery itself and post care were all excellent. My eyes were -3 both and are now a perfect 20/20 with better overall eye health too I must say after years of fiddling with contacts and glasses. I was indecisive for up to 5 years before finally getting it done after talking to a number of people who had the eye laser done with numerous companies and hospitals. After doing more research on Optilase I decided that Ely Place was the best option with the most experienced surgeons in that company.

The referral sceme simply works re every person you refer to them, then you receive a cheque for €100 each time and that is unlimited for as long as Optilase exist as a company. So obviously I have a referral for anyone else interested. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Steph5

Hi,
    Could you please pm me the referral details?
    I have booked my surgery for August.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

Steph5 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could you please pm me the referral details?
    I have booked my surgery for August.

Thank you

Pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭A Law

Had it done in Wellington. Pricey at 4100 for the 2eyes. Couldn't recommend enough. Work up a week or two later with an eye infection in a Sunday. Rang Dr. Corrigan and he rang the nearest pharmacy for an emergency prescription. Lifetime guarantee as well if it deteriorates under legal driving limit and can get it redone for 30% of cost otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Gingko wrote: »
    I had Lasik done at Optilase in Ely Place 3 years ago. Everything went 100%.. pre surgery consultation / check, surgery itself and post care were all excellent. My eyes were -3 both and are now a perfect 20/20 with better overall eye health too I must say after years of fiddling with contacts and glasses. I was indecisive for up to 5 years before finally getting it done after talking to a number of people who had the eye laser done with numerous companies and hospitals. After doing more research on Optilase I decided that Ely Place was the best option with the most experienced surgeons in that company.

The referral sceme simply works re every person you refer to them, then you receive a cheque for €100 each time and that is unlimited for as long as Optilase exist as a company. So obviously I have a referral for anyone else interested. :)

There's a huge backlash against LASIK at the moment in the US.
    Just over 10% of people get negative reactions...some so negative people have committed suicide over it.
    I read up about different types and decided that a 1 in 10 change of negative risks wasn't for me.
    All great for those that it works out for and there is loads mind you, but for a 10% chance there's no way I'd risk my eyesight.

If you're going for eye surgery don't cheap out..spend a few grand and get it done somewhere where its done inhouse, by a consultant present within the hospital and not a fly in one from the UK etc. Its more expensive but what price do you put on your eyesight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GraceCareer

Hi, I would be interested in your Optilase referral, if possible?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

Hi, I would be interested in your Optilase referral, if possible?
    Thanks

Got you sorted with a pm there

Advertisement