Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Eye Dominant Right Handed.

Options
  • 11-06-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I have a mate that i got into the sport of shooting after i took him out a few times he is now looking to get his own shotgun after using my right handed semi auto but he is left eye dominant as he is new should we get a left handed shotgun so he can use his left eye or should he get a right handed shotgun and get one of those sights for left eye people or one of those shooting glasses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i was the same . Lazy right eye made for left eye dominant but right handed,
    Had to learn to shoot left handed.
    Was difficult at first but became second nature.
    He can never shoot well right handed get him a gun fitting him left mounted and he will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or see if you can get him a gun with a crossover stock. They are custom made stocks, but were designed to correct this problem.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Is he shooting 2 eyes open?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cosieman

He tried that on my right handed shotgun but couldnt hit a broad side of a barn so he shot one eyed on my shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

i was the same . Lazy right eye made for left eye dominant but right handed,
    Had to learn to shoot left handed.
    Was difficult at first but became second nature.
    He can never shoot well right handed get him a gun fitting him left mounted and he will be fine.

We'd a good few lads shooting with us that either came to the sport like this or after years of shooting discovered their dominant eye was not on their strong side. Nearly all if them learnt to shoot off their week side with vast improvement.
    Make sure he gets a left handed gun with the appropriate cast. Having said that most semis are nuteral the only issue is getting something to eject on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

You can get little semi opaque patches to stick on the lens of your shooting glasses to partially obscure vision through one eye. This can cause the eye dominancy to switch over. Personally I just found the patch annoying but apparently it works for some people.

cosieman wrote: »
    He tried that on my right handed shotgun but couldnt hit a broad side of a barn so he shot one eyed on my shotgun.

ok but if he shoots right handed and he is left eye dominant, why does he not just close his left eye?

automatically his right eye takes over no?

does eye dominance not really come into the equation when you are shooting with both eyes open

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

ok but if he shoots right handed and he is left eye dominant, why does he not just close his left eye?

automatically his right eye takes over no?

does eye dominance not really come into the equation when you are shooting with both eyes open

I’m right handed left eye dominant and I use a browning cynergy black ice with a left hand comb piece on it,it comes with the kit. Ur mate like me just has to use his dominant eye and left shoulder to shoot regardless bcos it’s ur dominant eye that sees the target and judges all the factors needed to shoot it. If he uses his weaker eye or closes one eye to shoot I think he is wasting his time only making more frustrated and wrecking his head. I would recommend a good gun fitting before purchasing anything in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

My problem is I am left eye dominant and left handed. But my left eye is going short-sighted and my right eye is compensating for distance. Not so much a problem with shotgun shooting as it is a point rather than aim.So both eyes can function in that capacity
    An utter nightmare with pistols as now both eyes are trying to focus on the sights and targets and signals are getting crossed as to what is to be focused on, while working off an unstable platform.
    Rifles with scopes are no problem as I can adjust in the focus with a contact lens. Open sights somewhat the same as pistols.
    So options are close left eye for target shooting and cant head over to the right with a pistol, while adopting a very scrunched cooper stance.:(

Getting a Left handed anything here is a big problem. I have seen probably all of...four...Left handed shotguns here in 45 years,and they were about 25% over priced as 2nd hand guns because of it.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I don't know what sort of shooting he intends to do, but i spotted the gun below online when i was looking at shotguns recently.

https://outdoorsports.ie/collections/guns/products/aya-12g-side-by-side-crossover-stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cosieman

He wants to do clay shooting.

After an afternoon of investigation. The word on the wire especially for a new shooter is to in your mates case shoot left handed.

Plenty of shotguns about for leftys. Place in kerry even has a full lefty a400 semi auto. Conroy in portlaoise had a few browning 325 in left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

my advice being right handed left eye dominant is shoot of the left use the dominant eye, and if he is only new shooting he will pick it up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Funny ace86 mentions a cynergy, i use a right handed cynergy sporter shooting left handed and it fits me well ( had other expert opinion on this ) The reason being it has a neutral cast and doesn't have a pronounced handed palm swell like some other guns.

Ideally get a lefty gun, tried a lefty F3 in lakelands and it felt great. My wallet rejected the idea sadly and i just left with some cartridges :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Funny ace86 mentions a cynergy, i use a right handed cynergy sporter shooting left handed and it fits me well ( had other expert opinion on this ) The reason being it has a neutral cast and doesn't have a pronounced handed palm swell like some other guns.

Ideally get a lefty gun, tried a lefty F3 in lakelands and it felt great. My wallet rejected the idea sadly and i just left with some cartridges :-(
    I think like all shotguns fit is a must plus comfort plus as u know the cynergy has 3 different combs right left and neutral and whatever suites you and u can hit ur targets that’s all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Spent

I'm right handed and right eye Dominant and have shot for the last 21yrs.
    Most of my shooting was on game and only in the last 2yrs started having a go at clays.
    It was then I realised that I was apparently shooting off the wrong shoulder.
    This came about as I wasn't getting good results on the clays and more experienced shooters whom I shot with recognised the issue.
    Tried shooting off the right shoulder but did not find this comfortable at all.
    Every time I went shooting clays I didn't no wheater to shoot off left or off right.
    I got a lot of advice from different people and in the end the best advice I got was to shoot off which ever shoulder your most comfortable with.
    People tell you not to shoot with one eye closed ?
    Nora Ross is one of the best clay shooters in America and she shoots with one eye closed.
    That was enough for me to go back and shoot the way I've been shooting off my left.
    Once I put this aside my clay shooting has now improved and Im finding myself enjoying it now.
    My advice is do what's comfortable and natural to you and enjoy it .
    Best of luck with it

Advertisement