Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social contradiction on how we treat animals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Tilikum17 wrote: »

that's a strange article the eco watch one. the research paper's conclusion was 'We identify areas in which current knowledge is lacking and further research is most required. Ideally, future research will include both temporal and geographic resolution.'
    yet the interviewed person that wasn't involved in the research sees it as a paper to change our way of life.

whats the context for that vid?

and the researchgate piece, how is our diet in ireland going to impact on the african expansion into wildlife areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ecowatch wrote:
    Overall, animals have nothing on the other other kingdoms. Plants dominate, accounting for about 80 percent of all of the earth's biomass, followed by bacteria at about 15 percent.

A vegan future?

Intensive Industrial factory style arable production (US) and not an animal in sight ...

16600.jpg

CSIRO_ScienceImage_4704_Aerial_view_of_mixed_crops_at_Coolamon_NSW_1999.jpg

center-pivot-irrigated-fields.jpg

^^
    On viewing a rather inaccurate US video - with the title ...
    'The sheer scale of worldwide animal agriculture is utterly inconceivable' (sic)

For a comparison of scale - take a look at the "sheer scale' of US arable agriculture pictured above which I'm sure would surprise many etc....

No source details for footage either date nor location. Checked the group listed at the end of the video - and surprise it's a vegan anti animal farming organisation.

So details relevant to footage from one factory farm in the US not 'Worldwide' .

It's the naked dishonesty of this this type of social media propaganda which is the biggest turnoff for me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gozunda wrote: »
    ^^
    It's the naked dishonesty of this this type of social media propaganda which is the biggest turnoff for me tbh

Their agenda is a direct reversal of Orwell's mantra.
    Two legs good, four legs bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Google trends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Edinburgh
    Google trends

What exactly have these to do with the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Suckler

Throwing sh1t at a wall in the hope some might stick.

Suckler wrote: »
    Throwing sh1t at a wall in the hope some might stick.

who has their muck spreader hooked up?

• Advertisement

Edinburgh

Scribbles on a wall are an argument for ?

I think you will find that hospitals admit all types of people - including vegans suffering from cancer, diabetes (type 1 & 2), heart disease etc etc

As for Kwashiorkor (protein deficiency) it's not really a condition for joking around or for the purpose of agenda pushing is it?

See: https://www.healthline.com/health/kwashiorkor

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

It's another failure of logic, perhaps, another contradiction of logic.

Whose 'failure / contradiction of logic?

One is a bizarre reference to illness & hospital and the other is a rather bizarre graph showing a foodstuff (bacon) compared with a diet / lifestyle (vegan)

From the thread title - I think we are discussing whether there are any 'social contradictions' how people treat animals' and whether or not - some graph shows something or other in terms of search results is neither here nor there

So nope don't see any relevance there tbh...

right lets go through the claim and how they relate to society's treatment of animals

Heart disease - Age, Sex Genetics, Smoking
    Diabetes - Type 1 purely genetic, type 2 sugar intake
    Obesity - calorie intake vs exercise
    Cancer - genetics, sun exposure, smoking, radiation, viruses, bacteria, alcohol

where diet does come into the listed diseases(except diabetes) its excessive intake of everything.

now tell me again how that post relates to the thread?

ganmo wrote: »
    right lets go through the claim and how they relate to society's treatment of animals

Heart disease - Age, Sex Genetics, Smoking
    Diabetes - Type 1 purely genetic, type 2 sugar intake
    Obesity - calorie intake vs exercise
    Cancer - genetics, sun exposure, smoking, radiation, viruses, bacteria, alcohol

where diet does come into the listed diseases(except diabetes) its excessive intake of everything.

now tell me again how that post relates to the thread?

Hang on, you seem to be saying that meat and dairy consumption have nothing to do with hospitals filled with people with the above ailments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭emaherx

Google trends

Most people who eat bacon don't Google it

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=McDonalds,Vegan

Hang on, you seem to be saying that meat and dairy consumption have nothing to do with hospitals filled with people with the above ailments.

compared to other risk factors yes

take diabetes for example. an addition 150 calories from all sources rose the risk 0.1% where the 150 came from sugar it rose the risk 1%

I've actually never heard of meat being a factor in diabetes

I think you are going waaaay of topic there....

Are you saying that the small percentage of vegans that exist don't get cancer, diabetes, heart disease etc or or that those that do - arn't being treated in hospital??

Vegans can have unhealthy diets - A junkfood diet of doughnuts and coke etc could be vegan but wouldn't be good for you either ..

take diabetes for example. an addition 150 calories from all sources rose the risk 0.1% where the 150 came from sugar it rose the risk 1%

Yes, diabetes is primarily associated with excessive glucose consumption. But you seem to be saying that meat and dairy has nothing to do with all the other leading causes of death. Apologies if I've misunderstood you.

Yes, diabetes is primarily associated with excessive glucose consumption. But you seem to be saying that meat and dairy has nothing to do with all the other leading causes of death. Apologies if I've misunderstood you.

Wrong. type 1 and type 2 diabetes are not the same condition and are not linked by 'excessive glucose consumption' (sic)

Just because a person goes to hospital does not mean they at deaths door either ... I think you are
    conflabulating your opinions on things being bad, treatment in hospital and dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hmm hospitals full of sick people who eat meat, because most people eat meat?

An unhealthy Vegan Diet can also lead to heart disease just like an unhealthy diet which has meat/dairy.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/some-types-of-vegetarian-diet-can-raise-heart-disease-risk/

how much of an impact do you say meat has on diabetes ?

Google "risk factors" and any of the diseases come back when you found a ranked list that says meat on it

how much of an impact do you say meat has on diabetes ?

I'm not a statistician or medical researcher, so I can't say. Why do you ask?

emaherx wrote: »
    An unhealthy Vegan Diet can also lead to heart disease just like an unhealthy diet which has meat/dairy.

I agree entirely.

I'm not a statistician or medical researcher, so I can't say. Why do you ask?

because you seem to think there is a link and I say there isn't

btw I'm not a medical researcher either but i know how to use google scholar

because you seem to think there is a link and I say there isn't

I've never stated there is a link between meat and diabetes, though I'd have an open mind about it. Where did I say it?

I agree entirely.

So you agree that vegans can and do end up in hospitals for treatment of various conditions- lifestyle and otherwise?

This makes for an interesting read ...

https://www.nutritionadvance.com/vegan-propaganda-and-meat/

I've never stated there is a link between meat and diabetes, though I'd have an open mind about it. Where did I say it?

I didn't say you said it, i said you seem to think...

why I think this? you thanked post #97
    and

I didn't say you said it, i said you seem to think...

why I think this? you thanked post #97

Gosh, you're reading a hell of a lot in a simple thanked post.

• Advertisement

Yes, diabetes is primarily associated with excessive glucose consumption.

Just my usual cautious self.
    But you seem to be saying that meat and dairy has nothing to do with all the other leading causes of death.

I might be reading too much in your posts but you never answered that.

Advertisement