Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social contradiction on how we treat animals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Gosh, you're reading a hell of a lot in a simple thanked post.

it wasn't too long ago a mod on this forum warned against thanking posts, might even be on this thread

Just my usual cautious self.

I might be reading too much in your posts but you never answered that.

for the third time
    ganmo wrote: »
    compared to other risk factors yes

take diabetes for example. an addition 150 calories from all sources rose the risk 0.1% where the 150 came from sugar it rose the risk 1%

I've actually never heard of meat being a factor in diabetes

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

ganmo wrote: »
    it wasn't too long ago a mod on this forum warned against thanking posts, might even be on this thread

I didn't see that, sorry. I was just thanking a poster for linking to an image relevant to veganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I didn't see that, sorry. I was just thanking a poster for linking to an image relevant to veganism.

I fail to see what grafitti on a Scottish wall has to do with keeping a pet, versus rausing an animal for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I fail to see what a photo of grafitti on a Scottish wall has to do with keeping a pet, versus rausing an animal for food.

• Advertisement

I suppose this is the kind of contradiction that we see many examples of yearly -

Dog rescued after plunging 80ft down mineshaft in Ceredigion http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45402874

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I suppose this is the kind of contradiction that we see many examples of yearly -

Dog rescued after plunging 80ft down mineshaft in Ceredigion http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45402874

What would you like - for the animal to be left there? Really? Even livestock are rescued from such situations.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cows-plunge-30ft-down-mine-8464182

No contradiction except that which is in your mind imo.

Tbh it's an old hoary chestnut and a failed argument at this stage ...

No need to apologise.

I think I remember it was about people thanking posts that were recipes containing meat or something similar as an ingredient.

So I think it was about thanking posts that were obviously trolling.

It was along those lines anyway iirc.

No need to apologise.

I think I remember it was about people thanking posts that were recipes containing meat or something similar as an ingredient.

So I think it was about thanking posts that were obviously trolling.

It was along those lines anyway iirc.

Right. I suppose even trolls like a bit of backscratching!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

From the social aspect of what we kill for food compared to keep for a pet its all down to what we consider to be beautiful.

Dog, Cat, Horse etc = Cute or Beautiful = Pet
    Pig, Cow, Fish etc = Animal/unattractive = Food.
    Rats, Mice etc = Dirty, ugly = kill it for no particular purpose.

The majority of Vegetarians are happy to eat Fish because they see them as ugly, not cute, stupid and strangely they are killed in the worst most inhumane way possible, by slow suffocation by the millions.

• Advertisement

From the social aspect of what we kill for food compared to keep for a pet its all down to what we consider to be beautiful.

The majority of Vegetarians are happy to eat Fish because they see them as ugly, not cute, stupid and strangely they are killed in the worst most inhumane way possible, by slow suffocation by the millions.

Horse is eaten without a second thought in plenty of countries - Poland, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Indonesia and China to name a few.

Cow is not eaten by Hindus so large parts of India don’t consume cow.

Pork is prohibited by Islamic law so that’s a lot in the Middle East that don’t consume pig.

Jews don’t eat pig either so that’s quite a few people too.

Cats and dogs are seen as food in China, South Korea, Vietnam, Laos and a few other countries I can’t remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Horse is often eaten. Quite widely worldwide, only reason most don't make it to food chain after there life in recreational use is the use of bute. Only reason there was a horse meat scandal was untraceablity of source and blatent false advertisement.

Rats/mice spread disease by peeing on your food, maybe you would like a world where they are not controlled?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd have to disagree with much of that..
    We keep cattle and farmers can really appreciate the proper breeding in an animal, its conformation and stature, but still consider it both a good specimen of an animal and food.. Farmers like their animals, some still name them, but keep the objective view of their eventual purpose.

Our pigs which we keep for the table are cute as hell when they arrive 10-12 weeks old, less cute now that they are 50kg but good fun to be around and each has its own charactor, but there's no doubt even with our kids that they are destined for the table..

My youngest daughter spends plenty of time with her chickens, naming them and knows each from the other, what age they are etc, but the are accepted as both pet and food source..

Take dogs, some are horrid looking some are nice, the only reason I don't consider them food is after eating it I'd consider it low grade meat and no way satisfactory feeding..

I love the look of a nice white piece fo fish, battered and golden on the outside, but I hate the taste and so don't ever eat it..

I would disagree with that summary

Dog, Cat, Horse etc = animals which have unique qualities and abilities which historically have made valuable contribributions to human society. e.g. dogs for hunting. Cats for vermin control horses for transport. Also companion animals such as dogs and cats easily house trained etc

Pig, Cow, Fish etc - traditional hunted species which formed part of human diet going back two million years long before agriculture ..

Rats, Mice etc = animals which cause significant danger to human based foodstuffs and are known vectors of communicable diseases.

Tbh there a lots of "pretty' cows, pigs and and even even rats which could be called cute. So the level of attractiveness has very little to do with what humans eat or dont eat.

Making sweeping statements that vegetarians eat something such as fish because they not 'cute' is farcical.

Vegetarians dont eat fish - pescatarians do!

Edit: _Brian you bet me to it ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    pescatarians

i had to google that :o

Horse is eaten without a second thought in plenty of countries - Poland, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Indonesia and China to name a few.

Cow is not eaten by Hindus so large parts of India don’t consume cow.

Pork is prohibited by Islamic law so that’s a lot in the Middle East that don’t consume pig.

Jews don’t eat pig either so that’s quite a few people too.

Cats and dogs are seen as food in China, South Korea, Vietnam, Laos and a few other countries I can’t remember.

Yes of course there are diet variations around the world, in Asia insects can be eaten without a second thought.

Im talking about it from an Irish perspective.

Yes of course there are diet variations around the world, in Asia insects can be eaten without a second thought.

Can’t accept that cows = ugly = this justifies eating them.

Here’s an Irish Moiled heifer, nothing short of a stunning looking animal, these spectacular animals produce marvellous beef.

http://blog.agriimages.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cv14mol-3142.jpg

_Brian wrote: »
    Can’t accept that cows = ugly = this justifies eating them.

Here’s an Irish Moiled heifer, nothing short of a stunning looking animal, these spectacular animals produce marvellous beef.

http://blog.agriimages.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cv14mol-3142.jpg

Agree to disagree on that one.

Agree to disagree on that one.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

More pretend outrage from the public -

Australia emu video investigated for 'horrific cruelty' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45596870

• Advertisement

More pretend outrage from the public -

Australia emu video investigated for 'horrific cruelty' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45596870

Don't see what's 'pretend' about tbh.

The police and the RSPCA dont make it 'public' btw. And if by 'pretend outrage - do you mean are in agreement / following the law? Yes they are - but then that's not pretend outrage either ...

You can't legislate for some crazy. Australians.

Seriously I hope the guy is dealt with properly ...

Came across these two lovely news stories of a cow and a dog being rescued in seperate incidents after falling from cliffs in Devon and Cornwall. Just more examples of parity of rescue efforts for both farm and domestic pets ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-45357436

https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2676829/dog-survives-fall-from-highest-cliffs-in-cornwall/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Do the people who get enraged by a woman throwing a cat into a bin - https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/19/cat-bin-woman-mary-bale - not understand what happens to animals for the provision of their meat and dairy ?

I think its you that doesn't understand what happens to animals for the provision of meat and dairy.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I think its you that doesn't understand what happens to animals for the provision of meat and dairy.

I understand it perfectly well and that’s why I advocate cruelty free food.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm noticing a few places are bringing in eating insects as a healthier option.

JeffKenna wrote: »

JeffKenna's post comes across as a bit strange for one posted on an veg*n forum. :D:D

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm noticing a few places are bringing in eating insects as a healthier option.

In Ireland?

JeffKenna's post comes across as a bit strange for one posted on an veg*n forum.

I don't think that's correct - strangely there's probably more threads with comments here about meat, dairy and animal farming than most other forums.

Plus 'cruelty free food' is an oxymoron - where 'cruelty' defined by some includes the death of animals and organisms. It remains all food producion involves the death of other organisms and animals. A lot of it is deliberate as well such as the spraying of pesticides. It matters little to the dead bunny or whatever which is killed during cultivation that its death might or might not have been 'unintentional'. All that needs to be recognised tbh.

If anything that's the single biggest glaring contradiction - whether anyone acknowledges it or otherwise imo.

In Ireland?

Two that I've came across are popup restaurant and a company set up in the last couple of years

http://www.thejournal.ie/hexafly-alvan-hunt-2-3726027-Nov2017/

https://www.rentokil.ie/pestaurant/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Do you also feel as strongly about cruelty free clothing? I presume you don't purchase anything from primark, Nike etc considering the quality of life of animals in Ireland is far superior to that of the 6 year old child making those clothes.

Advertisement