Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects

Options
  • 12-06-2018 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4501387/Bus-Connects-Report-June-2018.pdf

Interesting document, detailing not just (hopefully) future bus lanes but also potential cycle routes. There's a bold claim of 230km of bus lanes and 200km of cycle tracks, but it's unclear how much of those would be grade-separated or entirely segregated - or not.

The likes of this for alternate cycle routes (dotted line) are gas:
    image.JPG

One of the long-term side-effects would be a lot less car traffic in the city centre, which can only be a good thing for cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's a bold plan, and the only way that public transport will work in Dublin..

However i'd say with the amount of objections to it, that this plan will never get fully off the ground..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is this part of the proposals to be discussed today? I caught a bit of it on Morning Ireland and the obvious thorn in the side is the suggestion of CPOs of people's front gardens in order to implement them. They didn't obvious mention the scale of the CPOs though.

But leaving the issues around CPOs aside for the moment, immediate thoughts are that I don't like the idea of removing yet more green space to be replaced with road, concrete and tar. The document itself says that Dublin is a medieval city with the innner suburbs being Victorian, but yet they want to remove that and replace with road. It'll be heavily opposed I expect.

As an aside, looking at the map of what the proposed network will look like in 2017, there's still large swathes of the west/north west of the city untouched by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Tenzor07 wrote:
    However i'd say with the amount of objections to it, that this plan will never get fully off the ground..

It was all I heard on the radio this morning 1300 houses will lose their gardens*

*(didn't specify how much etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Grassey wrote: »
    It was all I heard on the radio this morning 1300 houses will lose their gardens*

*(didn't specify how much etc etc)

Yes, it was what jumped out on me, and I imagine most people. I certainly see the benefits, but also the immediate challenges in getting people to come on board with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

CPO of gardens is going to be a big issue all right, because it means there are a number of people who are very directly affected, and so very motivated to oppose this (or to be noisy to look for more money)

I'd hope that most of the changes could be put through by removing on-street parking spaces and redirecting traffic (ie, making some roads one-way)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's all very well, but something needs to be done to avoid traffic just diverting through adjoining residential areas. Reducing car traffic is great. Pushing it onto to roads that are even less suited to heavy traffic, not so much.

It's all very well, but something needs to be done to avoid traffic just diverting through adjoining residential areas. Reducing car traffic is great. Pushing it onto to roads that are even less suited to heavy traffic, not so much.

Pushing cars onto smaller roads, which become congested, making journeys take longer.
    While bus and bike journeys are faster because they are on priority routes.
    So people are pushed towards buses and bikes, and away from cars.

How else do you reduce car traffic? A congestion charge? I'd be on for that but it would be a harder sell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

regardless of losing gardens, i expect a lot of anger will be from people who live on heavily trafficked roads finding out that instead of the traffic passing 10m or 15m from their windows, will now find it passing 5m from their windows. i expect we'll hear arguments about financial recompense not just from the cost of buying the property, but also subsequent falls in property values.

regardless of losing gardens, i expect a lot of anger will be from people who live on heavily trafficked roads finding out that instead of the traffic passing 10m or 15m from their windows, will now find it passing 5m from their windows. i expect we'll hear arguments about financial recompense not just from the cost of buying the property, but also subsequent falls in property values.

Property close to the LUAS increases in value

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they don't usually mean within 5m of the luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RayCun wrote: »
    Pushing cars onto smaller roads, which become congested, making journeys take longer.

How else do you reduce car traffic? A congestion charge? I'd be on for that but it would be a harder sell.

Experience to date has suggested that people are very slow to give up their cars, even when alternatives are quicker. Residents in those areas could be waiting for a long time for the penny to drop among passing motorists. In the meantime they have to put up with heavy traffic on roads that their kids may be walking or cycling to school on.

Congestion charge is one possibility, but a very simple measure is just blocking off rat runs, making sure that there are no obvious alternative routes, e.g. making it one way in/one way out of residential areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We can't be diverting traffic through residential areas, residential areas should be safe zones and not a traffic zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We can't be diverting traffic through residential areas, residential areas should be safe zones and not a traffic zone.

The objections to the proposed South Dublin/Dodder cycle quiet ways would suggest residents wish to keep all local roads open to car traffic..

Sure, in some cases, where you can get the residents to agree on the single point of entry and exit.

But the cars are going to go somewhere. It's not like there are loads of non-residential streets available and unused.

Sure, in some cases, where you can get the residents to agree on the single point of entry and exit.

But the cars are going to go somewhere. It's not like there are loads of non-residential streets available and unused.

Well keep them on the main road. Kids play in residential areas and that should not change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Research would suggest that many of the cars don't go somewhere, and instead get left at home as people switch to other less punitive modes - the disappearing traffic phenomenon (the opposite of induced demand).

Well keep them on the main road. Kids play in residential areas and that should not change

If the residential streets are open at both ends, cars will use them. They already do.

If there is less space for cars on the main roads because of bus corridors, that will push some cars onto side streets. But if you don't make space for buses on the main roads then the buses take longer, so people drive instead, and the main roads get jammed, and some drivers will take the side streets.

The side streets get used either way (as long as they are open). The only thing that can be changed is the capacity of the main roads - more buses and bikes on the main roads means more people using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That was a quick jump to Helen Lovejoy.

buffalo wrote: »
    Research would suggest that many of the cars don't go somewhere, and instead get left at home as people switch to other less punitive modes - the disappearing traffic phenomenon (the opposite of induced demand).

Yes, make buses and bikes more attractive and cars less attractive and people will switch. Not everyone, but enough to make a difference.

And part of making cars less attractive can be traffic-calming measures on side streets, closing off throughways, one-way systems etc. But residents seem to complain about those things almost as much as they complain about ratrunners!

• Advertisement

Yes, make buses and bikes more attractive and cars less attractive and people will switch. Not everyone, but enough to make a difference.

And part of making cars less attractive can be traffic-calming measures on side streets, closing off throughways, one-way systems etc. But residents seem to complain about those things almost as much as they complain about ratrunners!

We are a long way off before this will ever happen, bound to be two general elections at least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

As a cyclist I don't actually like the sounds of this plan at all.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-homes-to-lose-gardens-and-parking-under-high-speed-bus-route-plan-1.3527128

However, the authority warns that because there is “so little unused space” along some roads, that “it will often not be possible to accommodate the bus lanes and cycle lanes in the width available”.

So basically there will be a lot of road widening and cyclists will often be pushed out altogether where there is a conflict with buses. I don't think this is what we need in Dublin at all.

I also think the idea of removing people's gardens is a terrible idea for the quality of life in the city. Taking away on street parking is another matter entirely.

i'm lucky; i live along a road which is slated to have one of these, and also to have the metro. but it's wide enough that i've no real concerns about losing any of the front garden.

LennoxR wrote: »
    As a cyclist I don't actually like the sounds of this plan at all.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-homes-to-lose-gardens-and-parking-under-high-speed-bus-route-plan-1.3527128

However, the authority warns that because there is “so little unused space” along some roads, that “it will often not be possible to accommodate the bus lanes and cycle lanes in the width available”.

So basically there will be a lot of road widening and cyclists will often be pushed out altogether where there is a conflict with buses. I don't think this is what we need in Dublin at all.

There are details in the document at the link. For most of the routes, the proposal is to have bus lanes and bike lanes beside each other, but they call out places where that isn't possible. For example, route 1 from Clongriffin, they say "Malahide Road between Fairview and Griffity Avenue. Due to restricted road width in this area, a proposal is to re-route cyclists via Brian Road and Charleton Road"

There are details in the document at the link. For most of the routes, the proposal is to have bus lanes and bike lanes beside each other, but they call out places where that isn't possible. For example, route 1 from Clongriffin, they say "Malahide Road between Fairview and Griffity Avenue. Due to restricted road width in this area, a proposal is to re-route cyclists via Brian Road and Charleton Road"

Are the bike lanes separate from the bus lanes, ie buses can't go into the cycle lanes? If we are going through all this trouble, lets do it right and not half arse

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Well per the post above in Rathmines, which I often use, bikes will now be pushed out altogether from the main road.

Strictly from a cyclists point of view, I think this is a step backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the question is does "rerouting" cyclists mean they are barred from the new buslanes?

In Shankill they're proposing "rerouting" cyclists around the back of the village through housing estates and quiet road, this sounds like a recipe for a much slower journey. What's to stop me going through the village anway (there's no cycling facilities there currently, so it won't be any worse that it is now).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The line the NTA should use in promoting this is "It will be like the schools are off every day".

When you actually look at the time savings estimated by these changes it is stunning - 25-30 minute saving from Liffey Valley and similar for Clongriffin. That is massive, instead it's been about a few people losing a few metres of their front garden and being paid handsomely for it. Again For the Few not the Many seems to be determining the narrative in the media.

• Advertisement

LennoxR wrote: »
    Well per the post above in Rathmines, which I often use, bikes will now be pushed out altogether from the main road.

Strictly from a cyclists point of view, I think this is a step backwards.

Pushed off the main road, but onto a segregated cycle path. If it's kept in good condition, wouldn't it be safer than sharing the main Rathmines road, and more attractive to casual cyclists?

Advertisement