Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 years ago today- Euro 88

• 12-06-2018 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

Time to get misty eyed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RCozoW-bI

I was only 10 but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon. When the goal was scored we thought it was Aldridge as the camera was on him and there was an ongoing debate at the time as to why Aldridge was so prolific for Liverpool but could not score for Ireland. Without any exaggeration whatsoever, the longest 85 minutes in the history of mankind followed the goal.

Afterwards we drove off to visit my father's friend (my godfather) in the height of excitement.

Certainly made up for Ireland losing its Eurovision crown a few weeks earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Time to get misty eyed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RCozoW-bI

I was only 10 but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon. When the goal was scored we thought it was Aldridge as the camera was on him and there was an ongoing debate at the time as to why Aldridge was so prolific for Liverpool but could not score for Ireland. Without any exaggeration whatsoever, the longest 85 minutes in the history of mankind followed the goal.

Afterwards we drove off to visit my father's friend (my godfather) in the height of excitement.

Certainly made up for Ireland losing its Eurovision crown a few weeks earlier.

I was there. Almost 10 years of age. Probably the most defining day of my life? Thanks again Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I was at the beach. Roasting hot day. Remember hearing the score on someone's radio.
    Dunno why I didn't stay at home to watch it. Guess the lure of ice cream and the sea was too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was at work at mu summer job. Brother told me the score but didn’t believe him till I saw it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

best Irish team ever - with a little luck that team could have got to final - when you look at the current Irish team , and grew up supporting the team from the 80's , very hard to get remotely excited now - what a team it was , great to be a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I love hearing "I hope England don't win the World Cup. If they do we'll never hear the end of it." 30 years after a 1-0 win in a match and we're still banging on about it. Did I hear the Indo have a pull-out supplement today and Newstalk have been getting their money's worth from it too.

I suppose it's the same as us saying "I wish they'd shut the f**k up about Maradona's handball" only for us to be just as bad if not worse when Henry did it to us.

Small time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This is a country that made a documentry about beating New Zealand in a friendly, what do you expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I love hearing "I hope England don't win the World Cup. If they do we'll never hear the end of it." 30 years after a 1-0 win in a match and we're still banging on about it. Did I hear the Indo have a pull-out supplement today and Newstalk have been getting their money's worth from it too.

I suppose it's the same as us saying "I wish they'd shut the f**k up about Maradona's handball" only for us to be just as bad if not worse when Henry did it to us.

Small time.

Wow Buzz Killington is alive and well, you must be great craic all together. I thought this was about remembering the greatest Irish soccer win ever against our greatest rivals, don’t remember anything about 1966, Maradona or Henry being mentioned.
    Great memories and a great performance .
    Big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Small time.
    This is a country that made a documentry about beating New Zealand in a friendly, what do you expect.

Well aren’t you two a couple of rays of sunshine!

Beating our nearest neighbors for the first time in 31 years, in our first ever game in a major finals is an achievement worth remembering.

I was older then most (16) and I watched it at home with family. The tension in the last 20 minutes was unbearable, but the feeling of joy at the final whistle was fantastic.

I don’t give a fcuk if some people think it’s ‘small time’. It’s probably in the top 3 greatest days of being an Irish fan for anyone who lived through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

Bit off topic that for a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who put the ball in the England net?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was 8. Either in bed or out the back eating grass or dirt. 90 minutes was an eternity back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Small time.
    I guess you are not old enough to remember Ireland in the 80s and how cathartic that tournament was and then followed up by Italia 90. It brought a real good feeling to the country at a very dour and depressing period and hell you could argue it contributed to the subsequent growth and confidence that enveloped the county over the following 10 years.
    I accept that it might seem strange to fondly remember it 30 years on but **** was really that depressing that a football tournament did have such an impact but if you don't get it you werent there, maaaan...

Yeah making a documentary about beating NZ in a friendly is pretty sad.
    'Let's ignore the hammerings that we have received over the last 100 years. Sure we are the best in the world now...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ray's been dining out on that for 30 yrs, just shows you how your life can change with one moment.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ray's been dining out on that for 30 yrs, just shows you how your life can change with one moment.

2 league titles, 2 FA cups, 2 League cups, winners in the Euros v England and in the World Cup v Italy...in fairness he has more to dine out on than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah making a documentary about beating NZ in a friendly is pretty sad.
    'Let's ignore the hammerings that we have received over the last 100 years. Sure we are the best in the world now...'

Nah, Vodafone were already filming that one over the four rugby matches that Autumn. Not sure why.

They didn't just assemble a documentary crew after the result to commemorate the day.

But yeah, 1-0 in Stuttgart. Epic day and there wasn't anything like the hype that would follow in Italia 90 and every tournament Ireland got into afterwards. It was clearly far too early to take the lead and I never thought we would hang on until the final whistle blew.

I am surprised this thread did not get more replies. Maybe it is due to the age profile of the most posters here and I suppose '30 years ago' is longer than it is in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It does make you realise how much more exciting this wc would be if we were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A lot of negativity here. Why not enjoy the memories. I was 8 years old so my recollection isn't 100% but I do remember the goal and England battering us after yet couldn't score that day if the game went on for 2 more hours I'd say. Let us who remember enjoy those memories instead of worrying about who makes Rugby documentaries. It lead straight into Italia 90 and the rest is history. Great times to be an Irish sports fan.

• Advertisement

A lot of negativity here. Why not enjoy the memories. I was 8 years old so my recollection isn't 100% but I do remember the goal and England battering us after yet couldn't score that day if the game went on for 2 more hours I'd say. Let us who remember enjoy those memories instead of worrying about who makes Rugby documentaries. It lead straight into Italia 90 and the rest is history. Great times to be an Irish sports fan.

I was truly gutted after the Dutch game. The worst goal in ****ing history scored by Kieft.

I walked out of the house in a numb haze and a few buddies were outside messing with their bikes with zero interest.

But yeah it was very special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Top young to remember 88 or even 90 really if honest. 1992 Euros was first I remember to some degree.

But as a fan my dad told me to get to a major championships after heartache of few campaigns just gone by, to get England and then win, it's was like winning World Cup.

Can anyone here remember the day we qualified? Did you watch Scotland v Bulgaria game? I say twas bit surreal. 1987 was totally different time to today

Top young to remember 88 or even 90 really if honest. 1992 Euros was first I remember to some degree.

But as a fan my dad told me to get to a major championships after heartache of few campaigns just gone by, to get England and then win, it's was like winning World Cup.

Can anyone here remember the day we qualified? Did you watch Scotland v Bulgaria game? I say twas bit surreal. 1987 was totally different time to go today

Yeah my old man is a huge football fan...went to Italia 90 and didnt take me.

I remember bits of the 86 WC final but had zero interest. I also remember a few of the Euro 88 qualifiers (Luxembourg away and the Bulgaria away was on the radio during dinner).

The Bulgaria v Scotland game was the day of my birthday and my old man couldnt handle the pressure and left the house with 2 minutes to go (this would be a recurring theme over the years).

After the Bulgaria v Scotland game Michael Lester in the studio literally held his script up and tore it in half as the result changed everything. Remember a few of the warm up games (Yugoslavia and Poland- think they also played Norway) Of course you must remember there was only 2 TV channels and one TV in the house- if a game was on you really had little choice but to watch it or go to bed...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Can anyone here remember the day we qualified? Did you watch Scotland v Bulgaria game? I say twas bit surreal. 1987 was totally different time to today

Oddly enough I remember it quite clearly. I was living in Naas at the time. Must have been on at an odd time as a colleague and me sneaked off work to watch some of it in the local and a small few others were there as well.

As full time approached at 0-0 the colleague launched into a sectarian rant (including words among others like black and bastard) about how Andy Roxburgh wouldn't do anything to help Ireland then when all seemed lost McKay scored leading to modest celebrations!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NIMAN wrote: »
    It does make you realise how much more exciting this wc would be if we were there.

Yeah. Time just flies. Last WC appearance was 16 years ago. There was just 14 years between Euro 88 and the 2002 WC.

Oddly enough I remember it quite clearly. I was living in Naas at the time. Must have been on at an odd time as a colleague and me sneaked off work to watch some of it in the local and a small few others were there as well.

As full time approached at 0-0 the colleague launched into a sectarian rant (including words among others like black and bastard) about how Andy Roxburgh wouldn't do anything to help Ireland then when all seemed lost McKay scored leading to modest celebrations!

It was defo an evening kick off as it was pitch dark outside and my gut tells me it was a Thursday night for some reason but would have to Google it.

It was Wednesday the 11th November 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Fond memories of 30 years ago today - I was a student working on a building site down near Canary Wharf for the summer, living with about 10 of my townsfolk in a terraced house in North London (including my Dad, uncle and cousin).

I remember buying a 14" black and white portable TV down the market that morning with my Dad so we could watch the match (especially poignant to remember that as he passed away 2 years ago tomorrow). I'll never forget the moment the English net bulged and one of the men jumped up, slammed his fist on the table and nearly smashed it in pieces, good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

....The Bulgaria v Scotland game was the day of my birthday and my old man couldnt handle the pressure and left the house with 2 minutes to go (this would be a recurring theme over the years).....
    Can't remember who it was, but wasn't there some pundit on RTE who said that Gary Mckay had done nothing for Ireland (or something along those lines? I mean, wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't recall it as a big occasion - no-one really believed it was likely to happen as Bulgaria were very strong, at home, Scotland had no incentive etc. People had mostly mentally moved onto the 1990WC campaign.

I suppose nowadays it would have a decent sized thread here and as the game went on it would gather interest and then lots of 'HOLD', 'One time', 'Say nothing' comments when the goal went in etc. Followed by an absolute outpouring of joy. But with no mobile phones it was a bit of a slow burner. I remember stopping people I vaguely knew on the street in the hour after the game and telling them what had happened. I think it was an awkward timed afternoon game midweek and I watched it in a corner of a fairy empty pub nursing a cola (too young to buy drink) with a dash of secret vodka (old enough to source it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I remember it well. The joy of that victory was immense. Euro 88 was the stepping stone to the greatest world cup ever. I feel sorry for those who weren't old enough to enjoy Italia 90 for it will never be repeated. I still recall the BBC reporter on the news reporting something along the lines of " on the coach to the stadium Kenny Sansom entertained his teammates with a poor impression of Charlie chaplin , unfortunately his impression of an English defender was even worse.

I don't recall it as a big occasion - no-one really believed it was likely to happen as Bulgaria were very strong, at home, Scotland had no incentive etc. People had mostly mentally moved onto the 1990WC campaign.

I suppose nowadays it would have a decent sized thread here and as the game went on it would gather interest and then lots of 'HOLD', 'One time', 'Say nothing' comments when the goal went in etc. Followed by an absolute outpouring of joy. But with no mobile phones it was a bit of a slow burner. I remember stopping people I vaguely knew on the street in the hour after the game and telling them what had happened. I think it was an awkward timed afternoon game midweek and I watched it in a corner of a fairy empty pub nursing a cola (too young to buy drink) with a dash of secret vodka (old enough to source it).

Midweek game My hole. It was on a Sunday at 2.30 Irish time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

UrbanFret wrote: »

He’s talking about Bulgaria v Scotland qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I was talking about the Bulgaria Scotland game in reply to Kew Tour (hence my references to Bulgaria and Scotland :P). The England game in the Euros was a Sunday alright.
    Just checked and internet says Bulgaria game was indeed a Wednesday.

Nunu wrote: »
    He’s talking about Bulgaria v Scotland qualifier.
    Ah I do apologise. :o

I was talking about the Bulgaria Scotland game in reply to Kew Tour (hence my references to Bulgaria and Scotland :P). The England game in the Euros was a Sunday alright.
    Just checked and internet says Bulgaria game was indeed a Wednesday.

Yes I understand that now. Apoligises for that.

• Advertisement

I remember it well. The joy of that victory was immense. Euro 88 was the stepping stone to the greatest world cup ever. I feel sorry for those who weren't old enough to enjoy Italia 90 for it will never be repeated. I still recall the BBC reporter on the news reporting something along the lines of " on the coach to the stadium Kenny Sansom entertained his teammates with a poor impression of Charlie chaplin , unfortunately his impression of an English defender was even worse.

Italia 90...the greatest WC ever...Really?

From an Irish point of view it was memorable absolutely but generally that WC was cyanical and defensive and not good at all. A bit **** really.

Plenty of memorable moments for sure and now that I think of it certainly more memorable than some recent WCs but memorable does not mean great.

Italia 90...the greatest WC ever...Really?

From an Irish point of view it was memorable absolutely but generally that WC was cyanical and defensive and not good at all. A bit **** really.

Plenty of memorable moments for sure and now that I think of it certainly more memorable than some recent WCs but memorable does not mean great.

Nothing to do with the quality of the football. The craic the feel good factor and the country wide piss up I don't think will ever be seen again.

It was defo an evening kick off as it was pitch dark outside and my gut tells me it was a Thursday night for some reason but would have to Google it.

It was Wednesday the 11th November 1987.

Was stuck in guitar lessons so was after school but around 4 or 5, not some 7.45 time anyway.

Didn't stay at home as EVERYONE assumed Bulgaria would win and we had just missed out again. Still, we had beaten Scotland away and it felt like a really good campaign, went to a few of the home games and it was obvious we were a lot better than the later Eoin Hand days.

Got home to my mother in near hysteria and my father just smiling and the whole country knowing the name "Gary Mckay". And nothing would ever be the same again.

I guess you are not old enough to remember Ireland in the 80s and how cathartic that tournament was and then followed up by Italia 90. It brought a real good feeling to the country at a very dour and depressing period and hell you could argue it contributed to the subsequent growth and confidence that enveloped the county over the following 10 years.
    I accept that it might seem strange to fondly remember it 30 years on but **** was really that depressing that a football tournament did have such an impact but if you don't get it you werent there, maaaan...

I certainly am old enough. Loved beating England, loved playing the Soviet Union off the park and cried my eyes out when Holland beat us.

Italia 90 was a crap World Cup (such a shame after Mexico 86) but it was a wonderful event for Ireland with great moments. Sheedy, Quinn, Bonner, O’Leary. And for hilarity throw in Cascarino’s penalty against Romania. The elation after that game was unreal.

But banging on about a match 30 years later stinks of what a lot of Irish people criticize the English for. Only thing is that they had a World Cup to show for it and we have a (ultimately in the scheme of the tournament) meaningless and fortunate 1-0 win against a team who lost all their Euro 88 games.

It’s cringe inducing and it’s small time. I hope I don’t see any of the lads posting on here about how great beating England was claiming that we don’t have a winning mentality at some point in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

But banging on about a match 30 years later stinks of what a lot of Irish people criticize the English for. Only thing is that they had a World Cup to show for it and we have a (ultimately in the scheme of the tournament) meaningless and fortunate 1-0 win against a team who lost all their Euro 88 games.

It's a nod to a massive moment in time for Irish fans. Not banging on about it. It's more nostalgia, nothing more.

Surely you can find another, more worthy thread to shower with your cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For anyone who cares, I was sitting in front of the TV watching it eating a bread roll, my brother was there also he was wandering around the house doing something, he was not that interested in sport, it was a sunny Sunday and my parents and twjo sisters had gone out for the day.

That'll tell you how low key this actually was compared to what happened with "spontaneous" hype of 1990 and then the more "manufactured" hype we got in 1994

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's a nod to a massive moment in time for Irish fans. Not banging on about it. It's more nostalgia, nothing more.

That's all true
    But tje point is people should not give out about the English being nostalgic about actually winning a world cup.

It’s cringe inducing and it’s small time. I hope I don’t see any of the lads posting on here about how great beating England was claiming that we don’t have a winning mentality at some point in the future.

You must get to use this a lot on other Spurs fans...pretty much any who praise any Spurs side since 1961...

Why would I go to another thread? I have an opinion about this one which I’m expressing. This is a discussion board where people post differing opinions about the same subject.

Anyone remember the Penny’s tee shirts based on the locations of the games. Hangover, Scuttered and...Belch n Burpin...

You must get to use this a lot on other Spurs fans...pretty much any who praise any Spurs side since 1961...

What a stupid post. Go forward to 2021, will Spurs be putting out newspaper pull outs about their 1991 FA Cup win? Will Spurs be on the airwaves banging on about winning the FA Cup win?

Absolutely not. And I’d put forward the opinion that winning an FA Cup is a bigger achievement than winning a game against England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why would I go to another thread? I have an opinion about this one which I’m expressing. This is a discussion board where people post differing opinions about the same subject.

You feel the need to repeatedly tell people it's small time and cringe inducing?

People are just being nostalgiac about it. It was about more than a result at the time. It's just a nice memory from 30 years ago. Nothing more.

England are more than welcome to celebrate the win in 66 for similar reasons.

What a stupid post. Go forward to 2021, will Spurs be putting out newspaper pull outs about their 1991 FA Cup win? Will Spurs be on the airwaves banging on about winning the FA Cup win?

Absolutely not. And I’d put forward the opinion that winning an FA Cup is a bigger achievement than winning a game against England.

You seem to be getting angrier.

Sure look, you are entitled to be annoyed but try not to let others celebrating a great football moment get to you.

Right now, there are millions of Spurs fans across the globe enjoying your latest unsuccessful side...

You seem to be getting angrier.

Sure look, you are entitled to be annoyed but try not to let others celebrating a great football moment get to you.

Right now, there are millions of Spurs fans across the globe enjoying your latest unsuccessful side...

Haha behave yourself. Angry? Not at all - stop projecting nonsense. Just bemused by an irrelevant analogy. Can’t wait for January 2048 when we’re celebrating the 30th anniversary of Spurs’ 2-0 win over Man Utd. Can wait for the newspaper pull outs.

You feel the need to repeatedly tell people it's small time and cringe inducing?

People are just being nostalgiac about it. It was about more than a result at the time. It's just a nice memory from 30 years ago. Nothing more.

England are more than welcome to celebrate the win in 66 for similar reasons.

My point is two fold. A lot of Irish people complain about “England banging on about winning the World Cup in 1966” yet we bang on about a single result which is barely remembered outside these shores.

Secondly, I’ve no massive problem with this thread. I lived through the event, enjoyed it and 88-90 was a magical time. It’s more the media coverage that I find cringe inducing. You have national papers with pullouts, national radio stations holding events about the England game and so on. It’s a single game that we won, fortunately if the truth be told, the result was irrelevant and it was against a team who lost all their games in that tournament.

To keep rehashing it every 10 years in the mainstream media like that is small time in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement