Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 years ago today- Euro 88

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

It was the day before my LC Irish exam.

I didn't do too well in the oul Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DeanAustin wrote: »
    My point is two fold. A lot of Irish people complain about “England banging on about winning the World Cup in 1966” yet we bang on about a single result which is barely remembered outside these shores.

I have no issue with England celebrating the fact that they won the WC in '66.
    It’s more the media coverage that I find cringe inducing. You have national papers with pullouts, national radio stations holding events about the England game and so on.

Genuinely didn't see the media coverage of it yesterday so I can't comment on that. But that's kind of outside of this thread.

It was just a class time. It was new...we were dining at the top table of football or so it seemed. Beating England was class....Ronnie's volley from 75 yards out and then the heartbreak of the poxy Kieft goal only moments after Ooh AAh had hit the post.

It was a rollercoaster. It was new. I have vivid memories despite only being 8.

Don't píss on my parade :)

Haha behave yourself. Angry? Not at all - stop projecting nonsense. Just bemused by an irrelevant analogy. Can’t wait for January 2048 when we’re celebrating the 30th anniversary of Spurs’ 2-0 win over Man Utd. Can wait for the newspaper pull outs.

Okay so, you're not angry at all and your ManU analogy is very good.

As for England, they really really celebrate the 1990 side too, a certain Spurs player in tears etc. And then you have the 1996 run. Fans all over the world remember the 1982 Brazil side. It happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the quality of the football. The craic the feel good factor and the country wide piss up I don't think will ever be seen again.

Oh yeah it was great from Ireland's POV.

I guess nothing will ever replace that innocent euphoria. Once a country pops its WC virginity it's never the same again....:(

My point is two fold. A lot of Irish people complain about “England banging on about winning the World Cup in 1966” yet we bang on about a single result which is barely remembered outside these shores.

Secondly, I’ve no massive problem with this thread. I lived through the event, enjoyed it and 88-90 was a magical time. It’s more the media coverage that I find cringe inducing. You have national papers with pullouts, national radio stations holding events about the England game and so on. It’s a single game that we won, fortunately if the truth be told, the result was irrelevant and it was against a team who lost all their games in that tournament.

To keep rehashing it every 10 years in the mainstream media like that is small time in my opinion.

I think you are looking too much into it. It's just a bit fond nostalgia and you are assuming that the rest of us would criticize England for harping about the 1966- let them at it. I couldn't care less.

I see your point re England etc but that's not the point here. Nobody is going on about England and it's not really about the football win- from a national psyche there was more to it than just a win in a football tournament

Personally I couldn't care less if it had been England or Andorra Ireland had beaten day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Haha behave yourself. Angry? Not at all - stop projecting nonsense. Just bemused by an irrelevant analogy. Can’t wait for January 2048 when we’re celebrating the 30th anniversary of Spurs’ 2-0 win over Man Utd. Can wait for the newspaper pull outs.

Ah stop.

Spurs play United in league every year.

This was Ireland first tournament, first game really in world stage. Against of all teams England. The nation was at end of recession. England were going win 3-0 if not more.

Ireland were better side for 60 minutes and then Hoddle came in and it was real back's to wall stuff. It's part of the story.

I do agree that England can talk about 66 all they want, but to put this down is cheap.

Is it small time? Well maybe to small degree but it's not like we are football heavyweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Okay so, you're not angry at all and your ManU analogy is very good.

As for England, they really really celebrate the 1990 side too, a certain Spurs player in tears etc. And then you have the 1996 run. Fans all over the world remember the 1982 Brazil side. It happens.

Can add

Wales celebrated 1958(until 2 years ago)
    Seen Geary Armstrong goal million times v Spain
    And Archie Gemmill goal v Holland in what was non important game as Scots were out

Can add

Wales celebrated 1958(until 2 years ago)
    Seen Geary Armstrong goal million times v Spain
    And Archie Gemmill goal v Holland in what was non important game as Scots were out

To be fair, Scotland would have progressed if they won by 2 clear goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ah stop.

Spurs play United in league every year.

This was Ireland first tournament, first game really in world stage. Against of all teams England. The nation was at end of recession. England were going win 3-0 if not more.

Ireland were better side for 60 minutes and then Hoddle came in and it was real back's to wall stuff. It's part of the story.

I do agree that England can talk about 66 all they want, but to put this down is cheap.

Is it small time? Well maybe to small degree but it's not like we are football heavyweight

Grand then, I’ll look forward to Spurs releasing pull outs in 2037 on the 30th anniversary of beating Real Madrid. Should be epic.

Not sure why Spurs are really in this conversation anyway, it was brought up by one poster trying to be clever.

All those other ones you listed - I don’t see them being commemorated every 10 years in the mainstream media with dedicated newspaper pull outs and events from a national broadcaster.

And Wales in 58 and Brazil in 82 were recognition of teams and a tournament, not just one win that proved meaningless over their nearest neighbours.

Like I say, I’ve no problem with people remembering the England game in a thread like this but it’s the over the top media coverage that makes us look small time. And it really grates when I hear people having a pop at England for stuff like this when we’re much worse.

• Advertisement

Not sure why Spurs are really in this conversation anyway, it was brought up by one poster trying to be clever...

I wasn't trying to be in the least bit "clever". Merely pointing in the obvious. That it is ironic that a Spurs fan would object to anyone celebrating achievements that fall short of silverware. You surely know the running joke that is Spurs celebrating 5th, Spurs celebrating derby success...if it's genuinely news to you, look at the humour thread here.

And btw you keep going on about our Euro 88 reminiscing as marking 1 win. In fact we were minutes away from progressing to the semi finals at the expense of the eventual winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I wasn't trying to be in the least bit "clever". Merely pointing in the obvious. That it is ironic that a Spurs fan would object to anyone celebrating achievements that fall short of silverware. You surely know the running joke that is Spurs celebrating 5th, Spurs celebrating derby success...if it's genuinely news to you, look at the humour thread here.

And btw you keep going on about our Euro 88 reminiscing as marking 1 win. In fact we were minutes away from progressing to the semi finals at the expense of the eventual winners.

To miss a point by so far is truly astounding. Cheap to have a go at Spurs too.

The first post in this thread, despite the title, is about the England game. That’s what the media hype has been about. Very little about “The man who put the ball in the Soviet Union net.”

This isn’t about silverware being the only barometer of success. My objection is that we’re still celebrating what was ultimately a meaningless single win 30 years later in our mainstream media. I never ever said that celebrating anything short of silverware was objectionable.

Do I enjoy Pochettino’s Spurs? I absolutely love them. He’s been brilliant. Will I still be celebrating and expecting the British media to celebrate beating Real Madrid in 2037? No, that’d be dumb and small time.

If you don’t get the difference, there’s no point discussing it with you. And you were trying to be a smart arse. Spurs have nothing to do with this conversation.

I’d also add that I’m one of Jack Charlton’s biggest fans. I don’t subscribe to the revisionist nonsense that “he had the best Irish team ever and had them playing **** football. Had we played properly we’d have done better.” However, I think glorifying a solitary win every ten years that was as fortunate as it was ultimately meaningless is small time.

...dumb and small time...you were trying to be a smart arse....

As I said before, you are getting angrier. Your language is getting more strident, you're commenting on me rather than the topic.

Look, we'll just agree to disagree, and agree there is no point in analysing it further.

As I said before, you are getting angrier. Your language is getting more strident, you're commenting on me rather than the topic.

Look, we'll just agree to disagree, and agree there is no point in analysing it further.

Ah lads come off it.

Advertisement