Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC planning new pedestrian and cycle-only bridge across the River Liffey

Options
  • 12-06-2018 10:47am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭

DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL has begun planning for a new pedestrian and cycle-only bridge across the River Liffey.

In a statement to TheJournal.ie, the council said the proposed Blood Stoney Bridge will provide a new crossing point from New Wapping Street to Blood Stoney Road in the Dublin Dockland Area and will be a pedestrian and cycling-only facility.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/blood-stoney-bridge-planning-4065982-Jun2018/?utm_source=shortlink

it's oddly placed. on the southside, it's kinda funnelled into a bottleneck - so if you're coming from ballsbridge or irishtown direction, for example, what's the expected approach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't think it's part of a cross-city route - the Royal Canal cycleway will feed onto the Samuel Beckett for instance.

I think this is aimed at all the office workers being able to cross the river and get to the Luas, East Wall, Ringsend, etc. Pedestrian and cycle permeability ftw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm. i avoid the samuel beckett bridge; last time i used it at rush hour (northbound), pearse street and cardiff lane were a horrorshow of traffic and impatient drivers. it's never going to happen, but it'd be great if they could replace the east link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

replacing the East link would be amazing but I just can't see it happening in the short term.
    aren't they also planning to build a bridge connecting Thorncastle st / York rd to Sir John Rogerson's Quay?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's some low hanging fruit south of the east link - the road has space to widen it for much of the run between the toll booths and the roundabout (there's a reasonably wide grass verge there), and the road surface is also pretty poor, from the booths to the beach road/strand road. but i guess that's not been done due to the amount of traffic that road carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

This is a great, and obvious, idea. Beckett Bridge junction is becoming unsustainable at rush hour. This will offload a lot of the foot/pedal traffic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement