Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dreamers75 wrote: »
    he is ****ing impossible!!!!!

I met him at level 10, I went back 3 times and he kicked my arse.

I went with the story and just got overpowered attack, my first thought is im going to kill that ****ing boar.
    You didnt meet that boar at level 10... theres an even worse boar.

The guy I met is part of a side quest, level 13,I'm level 12 and went switched down to easy and still couldn't kill the ****er! there's a worse one to come? do enemies scale with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The guy I met is part of a side quest, level 13,I'm level 12 and went switched down to easy and still couldn't kill the ****er! there's a worse one to come? do enemies scale with you?

The boar you're referring to doesn't scale with you (thankfully). Beat him after a few tries even at Lvl15. Main bits of advice, get the skill that refills 25% of your health. I used it several times in that fight. Aside from that, dodge until you're behind him (or at least towards his rear at his side), two swings of the sword, then dodge again to keep behind him. Only go for more than two attacks if you're fully behind him and after he's just tried to attack. Keep your adrenaline abilities for the small boars, but always keep one for refilling health.

Anyway, watched a few cutscenes with Alexios last night. Wow... that actor sure goes for it with every sentence. Not entirely sure what the "it" he's going for is, but he goes for it. He is not good. Kassandra is a joy of a character though. Her voice actress is great.

Usually when there's a male / female protagonist I always play both for two playthroughs. I was considering playing as Alexios because I like his cool look with the dreadlocked hair and manbun... and then he started talking and I thought, 'yeah, no'.
    Having witnessed his first confrontation with Kassandra in the game where he tells her to "get up here"
    I was glad I dodged that bullet. Just horrible delivery.

The past few years I've started opting to play as female protagonists when given the choice (whether in a game like this where you choose a character, or in games where you create your own character), partially because I just got bored with male protagonists or my created ones always just seeming the same, and also to see what differences the game makes if you go with a female protagonist.

Of course, that doesn't count the latest South Park where I was a non-gender specific, pansexual atheist

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You didnt meet that boar at level 10... theres an even worse boar.

He is northwest in Phokis, I met him before I got the quest.

There is also a bear in Argolis that has nope written all over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I beat that boar last night. I tried a few times, and couldn't beat him so went off exploring. Found the quest from the Daughters of Artemis to beat it, and said feck it, i'll try again, and beat him this time. When the regular boars come along the Kalydonian boar will back up for about 30 seconds, try to kill the 4 of them in that time (about 4/5 hits at level 15) and then back to the main boar. As someone said above, have the health regen ability (mine is at level 2 now, so restores 35% health), really handy for fights like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So im 22 hours in and playing on nightmare difficulty and totally loving it but ive come to realize a flaw in conquests.
    When you want to play stealthy and spec into the assassin tree your hopefully useless in conquests, to counter this i lowered the difficulty to normal and it was barely doable even still.
    I actually have to respec into a more viable build before i do conquests now which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

1 really cool feature that I'm not sure if many are aware of:

With this instalment, you can go into the abilities sub-menu and for a cost in Drachmae, can reset your ability points.
    This is really handy if you misplaced them early in the run and want to re-jig them.

I think you press L3 to do this :)

Dcully wrote: »
    So im 22 hours in and playing on nightmare difficulty and totally loving it but ive come to realize a flaw in conquests.
    When you want to play stealthy and spec into the assassin tree your hopefully useless in conquests, to counter this i lowered the difficulty to normal and it was barely doable even still.
    I actually have to respec into a more viable build before i do conquests now which is annoying.

Yeah one thing I found weird is how I'm at about 600-800 in Hunter and Warrior stats, but my Assassin stat is near 7000. I guess it's because you do more damage in one hit with an assassination, but it looks so odd even though most of my ability points have been spent in the Warrior tree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I beat that boar last night. I tried a few times, and couldn't beat him so went off exploring. Found the quest from the Daughters of Artemis to beat it, and said feck it, i'll try again, and beat him this time. When the regular boars come along the Kalydonian boar will back up for about 30 seconds, try to kill the 4 of them in that time (about 4/5 hits at level 15) and then back to the main boar. As someone said above, have the health regen ability (mine is at level 2 now, so restores 35% health), really handy for fights like this.

That's the quest I encountered him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Just wondering how you dismantle your unwanted gear, there doesn't seem to be a button for it in the menu? . I'm on ps4 btw

• Advertisement

I believe you hold square on the item you want to dismantle. Bear in mind some gear can't be dismantled such as gear purchased from the store or legendary items.

Yeah, but after the latest update there's now a storage box on your ship you can store the undismantleable (I have a feeling that's not a real word) gear in. Offloaded a bunch of crap into mine last night. Would consider upgrading some of them but too low on resources trying to upgrade my ship.

That's the quest I encountered him on.

What level were you? I couldn't beat him at 13, but beat him at 14/15. Was still hard though, and I used the health ability about 5 times.

Also noticed since the update it's loading faster and the time from Ikaros back to you is shortened too. Excellent update! But, I've a feeling I'll get fatigued with the sheer amount of stuff to do. I'd say I'll mess about again this weekend and I'll have 2 weeks to plough through the story so I can be finished it in time for RDR2. I'll definitely come back to it again and try and clear the map at some stage!

What level were you? I couldn't beat him at 13, but beat him at 14/15. Was still hard though, and I used the health ability about 5 times.

Also noticed since the update it's loading faster and the time from Ikaros back to you is shortened too. Excellent update! But, I've a feeling I'll get fatigued with the sheer amount of stuff to do. I'd say I'll mess about again this weekend and I'll have 2 weeks to plough through the story so I can be finished it in time for RDR2. I'll definitely come back to it again and try and clear the map at some stage!

Only 12 atm LOL!

Yeah I'm feeling the same. Having to remind myself constantly "Stick to the main mission... Ignore the side quests... Stick to the main mission... Ignore the side quests... Stick to the OMG I FOUND A BOUNTY HUNTER I CAN KILL!... Okay now back to the main mission... Ignore the side quests... Stick to the main mission... Ignore the side quests..."

Yeah I got to push the story on this evening. Level 20 with what ever extra ability points I got from the pick ups too and only just got back in the boat to sail for the next story section having made 2 stops along the way to hunt some cultists which tuned into epic diversions. I'll have to force myself to plough on later.

Folks i highly recommend you play in nightmare difficulty or hard at the very least but give nightmare a go.
    I decided to do so when i was watching fextralife stream it before i bought it, makes it such a better experience with every single fight rewarding and exciting.
    Brilliant game, my GOTY so far, its as if the witcher3 just got good combat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't own this yet, my backlog is ridiculous enough as it is, but I have to say, fair play to Ubisoft for realising there was a problem with one of their franchises, taking the time off to take a proper look at what was wrong, and for having the courage to strike out in a new direction with their games. I love the new ideas in Origins, and this looks like it builds on it nicely. Great to see so many positive comments in here.

Wish more of the big publishers were willing to do the same.

Dcully wrote: »
    Folks i highly recommend you play in nightmare difficulty or hard at the very least but give nightmare a go.
    I decided to do so when i was watching fextralife stream it before i bought it, makes it such a better experience with every single fight rewarding and exciting.
    Brilliant game, my GOTY so far, its as if the witcher3 just got good combat.

Combat is brilliant and thats my main problem with the game, I have to kill a Captain, loot some treasure, burn some supplies.

My preferred way would be to do all of that without being seen, I do the 2 smaller objectives then get behind the Captain and see my attack will do this much>..< damage leaving him with this much >...................<

So I have sneakily maneuver him into an instakill situation, read: Sparta Kick off a great height.

The mercs to me are to be fought in outright combat, but changing the whole point of assassinations to force you into combat is a bit annoying.

Im an assassin ffs, im not supposed to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Article on whether you should choose Kassandra or Alexios.

https://mp1st.com/features/assassins-creed-odyssey-alexios-or-kassandra-the-odyssey-question?utm_content=featured

Essentially the article concludes that Kassandra is the best choice by far.

Interesting note is that Ubisoft have confirmed that Kassandra is the game's canon character.

Combat is brilliant and thats my main problem with the game, I have to kill a Captain, loot some treasure, burn some supplies.

My preferred way would be to do all of that without being seen, I do the 2 smaller objectives then get behind the Captain and see my attack will do this much>..< damage leaving him with this much >...................<

So I have sneakily maneuver him into an instakill situation, read: Sparta Kick off a great height.

The mercs to me are to be fought in outright combat, but changing the whole point of assassinations to force you into combat is a bit annoying.

Im an assassin ffs, im not supposed to be seen.

But, but, but, you're not an assassin yet! So as you progress, you will be able to cause more assassin damage, and there are abilities that allow you to 1-kill, ie: your hidden weapon does 250% damage, 400% damage. There's even 1 for 1000% damage! So while early on you are more of a brawler, as would be the case for most Mercenaries back then, you slowly transition to an Assassin. Well, that's my take on it. I still can't insta-kill a Captain, but i'm getting there!

• Advertisement

But, but, but, you're not an assassin yet! So as you progress, you will be able to cause more assassin damage, and there are abilities that allow you to 1-kill, ie: your hidden weapon does 250% damage, 400% damage. There's even 1 for 1000% damage! So while early on you are more of a brawler, as would be the case for most Mercenaries back then, you slowly transition to an Assassin. Well, that's my take on it. I still can't insta-kill a Captain, but i'm getting there!

I level 24 and can instakill some, I have the Critical Assassin move which is helpful, the actual frustration of getting in and sneaking behind them seeing you are going to barely scratch them is annoying :D

Then I sneak off and lure them to a height and THIS IS SPARTA them to death.

Thankfully the combat is decent.

Beat the main campaign today at 100 hours. Bloody fantastic game.
    Don't let anybody spoil the surprises for you.

Still got 1 or 2 side quests to do and some trophy clean ups.

I've 20 hours played and yet again stopped off after chapter 3 for more distractions but the impression i get so far is that this is basically
    Assassin's creed : Origins Templars
    by way of a
    protagonist out to expose them for their own naive and selfish reasons and ends up championing a greater cause.
    I've stopped off again on the way to a main mission lead me to a quite involved arc involving the daggers, and know I'll be stopping again before I move on

I am level 25 have 14 cultists dead got my 1st complete armour set (Snake) just gonna keep going after them as I want all the sets :)

Anyone have an issue with the mercs being reset or vanishing? I have killed a fair few but they are gone from the tier table upon next load of the game, i was hoping to kill them all ala Mordor but seems pointless now if they keep respawning with new names.

I'm loving this game, but I think I might stop playing it. Once RDR2 comes out, I was going to trade it against it anyway, but I feel I would be doing myself a disservice by not getting lost in this and only sticking to the main story. There's so much to do, and I genuinely want to do all of it. So I think I might trade it in now and pick it up again once RDR2 is done, maybe with the season pass then as a good chunk of content will be out at that stage. But at the same time I want to keep playing it! Maybe I'll stick with this and delay RDR2.

Ubisoft have really outdone themselves with this imo. I've yet to feel any sort of grind, and they got the map markers perfect with Exploration mode (I haven't played Zelda on Switch, so I can't comment how it compares to that, but it's the best busy map/layout I've seen yet). I keep comparing it to The Witcher 3, but with an AC theme, and I don't think i'm wrong in doing so. Both games play excellently, with AC possibly having the better combat. Kassandra is a joy to play as, and the only negative I have at the moment is unclear dialogue options. A few times I thought I was giving a nice answer, but I didn't. A little icon with the dialogue options to show the emotion would be nice, but not a red/blue style like ME!

This is the best AC since Black Flag for me. Even though Origins was also fantastic, Black Flag was still better, and depending on how Odyssey plays out, it could take over from Black Flag!
    Anyone have an issue with the mercs being reset or vanishing? I have killed a fair few but they are gone from the tier table upon next load of the game, i was hoping to kill them all ala Mordor but seems pointless now if they keep respawning with new names.

I took that as they were defeated so were replaced by up and coming Mercs! I don't know if I mentioned earlier, but I walked past the number 1 merc recently. I wasn't wanted, thankfully, as I'd say I would have been dead with a look. Pretty cool they're just wandering around and you can come across them.

If you love it keep it :)

Advertisement