Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me all the extras one may need to purchase . Season pass for example . It's available for 19.99 in Dec but what do I need to buy on top of that

Look just get the base game like me, it's about 10000 hours and after all that if you still want more then get the season pass. I was playing it 6 hours and then the title screen appeared, AFTER SIX HOURS HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I got the Kenny Omega Edition for €20 online.

what's in the Omega edition?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    what's in the Omega edition?

I have no idea, came with some codes for extras but the game is awfully laid out to tell you or show you half your stuff properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Iirc, don't you have to play the game a bit before it really opens up and allows you access to stuff? Pretty sure the free DLC I got for Day 1 wasn't immediately available.

Anyway, just started the DLC. I was doing one of those Lost Tales of Greece ones but got bored so have the intro mission on the first Legacy of the Lost Blade arc. Seems interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Is it longer than the witcher3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Is it longer than the witcher3

No, nearly as long as though, but its nowhere near as good :)

nix wrote: »
    No, nearly as long as though, but its nowhere near as good :)

Subjective. I'm pretty sure the main campaign in TW3 took me about 60 hours, and according to Odyssey I had 69 hours from the campaign. Like TW3, I haven't done all the side quests or ?'s, so I reckon I've done about the same amount of content. Including the DLC, TW3 added another 30-40 hours iirc, and I reckon the DLC for Odyssey will be the same.

Different games, combat is better in Odyssey imo, story is better in TW3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I have way more hours played in Odyssey than I do in TW3! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The main story in The Witcher 3 is very, very stretched out, and imo the story in Odyssey flows a lot better and rarely feels like it takes as long as it does, even if the story itself isn't as good. The value in both games however is in taking on side missions, getting distracted exploring and just enjoying playing. You can easily sink anywhere from 50-100 hours into either game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The Witcher 3 for me was a snoozefest compared to ACO, everything from combat to visuals are much better too imo.
    Maybe the witcher story is the better but in terms of gameplay and fun theres no competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Subjective. I'm pretty sure the main campaign in TW3 took me about 60 hours, and according to Odyssey I had 69 hours from the campaign. Like TW3, I haven't done all the side quests or ?'s, so I reckon I've done about the same amount of content. Including the DLC, TW3 added another 30-40 hours iirc, and I reckon the DLC for Odyssey will be the same.

Different games, combat is better in Odyssey imo, story is better in TW3.

Oh i know its mainly subjective, I went with the readings here though: https://howlongtobeat.com/

I find the sites readings fairly accurate so far with games ive finished :)

Odysseys campaign is less straight forward than the witchers also, requires you to go off pretty much fishing to locate the next quest npc to progress the story which slyly prolongs the "main story" time..

And combat wise, ACO just copied the bones of W3, even the graphics on the talent trees are near identical, the main difference is ACO's requires less thought.. And ACO had near 4 years to "improve" on W3's set up :) But tbh, they are both lacking.. the animal hunt bosses in ACO were fairly good.. Then again some monsters in W3 were great also..

Graphics wise, I prefer the Witchers, the characters look more detailed and the terrain is just more natural. In terms of beauty, compare the blood and wine area to ACO, plus again 4 years and more powerful hardware on its side. Unless yer talking consoles, then they are both ****ty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Haven't started Odyssey yet but TW3 took me a smidge over 200 hours including DLC, but I really did get so much of it done aside from all the question marks in Skellige.

Am I looking at the same for this as a completionist? I felt Origins was far too long and was dying for it to be over towards the end, as good as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dcully wrote: »
    The Witcher 3 for me was a snoozefest compared to ACO, everything from combat to visuals are much better too imo.
    Maybe the witcher story is the better but in terms of gameplay and fun theres no competition.

I enjoyed a lot of The Witcher 3 and can see why so many liked it. But yeah bar the overall story (minus the busywork it forces you through to get there) and characters (which in fairness are far more memorable and interesting than Odyssey's side characters), I can't think of anything Odyssey doesn't beat it on. Gameplay, the RPG system is a lot easier to deal with, more variety, visuals, better combat, better inventory system, better progression system, better game map, better traversal... Odyssey for me was the better game in most ways. Though Gwent beats the naval stuff in Odyssey in terms of secondary gameplay.

And Phobos is better than Roach. F*ck Roach.

WOW I think this game has got to be the best looking game I've ever played, that draw distance is amazing, I can see an island 3000 miles away and just go to it.

On The Witcher 3, it had good characters and a great world but there rest was awful, I hated the combat and the mindless wandering and level gating.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Am I looking at the same for this as a completionist? I felt Origins was far too long and was dying for it to be over towards the end, as good as it was.

The good thing about ACO is that the ?'s are more alluring than the ones in TW3. Once I got to Skellige I had no interest in completing all those ?'s, but I do intend to visit all of them in ACO. I feel like I'll discover something interesting, whereas in TW3 I didn't get that in Skellige at all. As a completionist, I reckong you'll have no issues with ACO, except maybe the diving ones, but not as annoying as TW3.
    SMC92Ian wrote: »
    WOW I think this game has got to be the best looking game I've ever played, that draw distance is amazing, I can see an island 3000 miles away and just go to it.

Yeah, I still get blown away by it. I don't think there's another game on the PS4 with such as good draw distance and graphics. Even at night in ACO, you can see the fires of far away lands, and follow that light directly, and see it open up in front of you. They have to be lauded for their draw distance on console. There's something special about perching atop a giant statue of Poseidon, staring out into the vast open waters, looking on at islands in the distance, knowing you can go visit there.

The other plus ACO has over TW3 is the armor options. COnstantly getting new ones, but unlike TW3 where you had to wear the outfit you liked, even if the stats were lower, ACO allows you wear whatever you want, and make it look like anything you've unlocked already. Same with the weapons. A simple but amazing additional imo.

The good thing about ACO is that the ?'s are more alluring than the ones in TW3. Once I got to Skellige I had no interest in completing all those ?'s, but I do intend to visit all of them in ACO. I feel like I'll discover something interesting, whereas in TW3 I didn't get that in Skellige at all. As a completionist, I reckong you'll have no issues with ACO, except maybe the diving ones, but not as annoying as TW3.

Yeah, I still get blown away by it. I don't think there's another game on the PS4 with such as good draw distance and graphics. Even at night in ACO, you can see the fires of far away lands, and follow that light directly, and see it open up in front of you. They have to be lauded for their draw distance on console. There's something special about perching atop a giant statue of Poseidon, staring out into the vast open waters, looking on at islands in the distance, knowing you can go visit there.

The other plus ACO has over TW3 is the armor options. COnstantly getting new ones, but unlike TW3 where you had to wear the outfit you liked, even if the stats were lower, ACO allows you wear whatever you want, and make it look like anything you've unlocked already. Same with the weapons. A simple but amazing additional imo.

I'm playing it on the X and yeah it's just wow, I had it on ps4 pro but hated how it needed to load anytime you flew too far with the bird. Thank god you can choose whichever look you want to, I hate games where the ugly armour is the best.

Is there no loading after using Ikaros on the One X? I thought everyone had that... Think i'm gonna have to get a One X for the multiplatform games, if they are better on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is there no loading after using Ikaros on the One X? I thought everyone had that... Think i'm gonna have to get a One X for the multiplatform games, if they are better on it.

You can use Ikaros for about 2km and go back to Kassandra (because no one better play as Alexios) without any issue, but I think once you move out past that, you get a bit of loading before jumping back to you character. Probably no more than 5 seconds! At least that was my experience :)

Cool, that'd be the extra power I'd imagine. The PS gets that within a few hundred feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This might be the first Assassin's Creed game that's clicked with me. I picked it up on a whim from CEX for €32 quid and I'm really enjoying it. Just finished the first island and onto the ship combat and it's class. You can definitely feel the Witcher influence and it's all the better for it.

As a sidenote, the version I got in CEX was the Gold edition with the season pass. The code was still in there for the season pass and I tried my luck to see if it wasn't redeemed and bingo - got the season pass for free. Who buys the gold edition without ever redeeming that?

• Advertisement

Nice, free Season Pass for an amazing game! Lucky! It really is an amazing game. I might sound like a broken record, but if God of War didn't come out last year, this would have been my GOTY then. Haven't played much of the DLC yet, I'm gone into a bit of a 'buy all the games!' mode, including NBA 2K19 and the Bioshock collection today... But I digress, I'm looking forward to playing more of it.

Nope it's why I sold the PS4 version and got an X version of it.

This might be the first Assassin's Creed game that's clicked with me. I picked it up on a whim from CEX for €32 quid and I'm really enjoying it. Just finished the first island and onto the ship combat and it's class. You can definitely feel the Witcher influence and it's all the better for it.

As a sidenote, the version I got in CEX was the Gold edition with the season pass. The code was still in there for the season pass and I tried my luck to see if it wasn't redeemed and bingo - got the season pass for free. Who buys the gold edition without ever redeeming that?

That entitles you to the remaster of AC3 and Liberation + DLC too. More than got your monies worth there. Result!!!

Oh reason I came to post is in the latest Lost Tales of Greece it can appear it finishes and no trophy/achievement. There is a final part to the quest that won't trigger unless you have the 'We Remember' quest form the main games epilogue completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Picked it up for 20e in Gamestop, i literally played it all day yesterday, great game. I have played a few AC games (when they go cheap) and havnt enjoyed them at all but this one is way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

About an hour or two in. Enjoying it so far but my one gripe is that there is an awful lot of cut scenes, is it like this the whole way through?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    About an hour or two in. Enjoying it so far but my one gripe is that there is an awful lot of cut scenes, is it like this the whole way through?

Nah, it's setting a lot of story near the beginning, but it starts to open up once you leave the starting island. There's still lots of talking, but most of it can be sped up if you're quicker at reading.

Advertisement