Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Half & Full Marathon 2018

• 12-06-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

So who is signed up for Dingle Half and Full marathon on 1st Sept?

It's early days, but hope training is going well for everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

I signed up for the half a while back and am glad I did since it sold out pretty quickly. My better half and I have booked into a B&B for the weekend and are really looking forward to the craic on the sat night, possibly more than the run itself :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

smurfsturf wrote: »
    I signed up for the half a while back and am glad I did since it sold out pretty quickly. My better half and I have booked into a B&B for the weekend and are really looking forward to the craic on the sat night, possibly more than the run itself :D.

I did the half 2 years ago, really enjoyed it. Dingle is always a great spot for a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Signed up to do the half. Is the course very hilly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

panda100 wrote:

Yes!

panda100 wrote: »

The first 6 miles are pretty flat, then there are 3 hills approx mile 6.5, mile 9 and mile 11 (sorry can't remember exactly). The last mile to the finish for the half is fast. I really enjoyed it.

I'm going to try and tackle the full this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hilly course all right. Last year there was a bad wind though which made it tough. Super half though; one of the best around. I missed out on getting a number for this year. Top tip: when you're out celebrating in Dingle after the run that night, wear your finisher's top and medal out ;)

Jeez this creeped up very quickly! I've not done any long distance running since the HM in Limerick in May. Have been focusing on sprint triathlons over the Summer. Getting worried about those Dingle hills now. I wonder is the best prep at this stage to do more hill work than long distance runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Jeez this creeped up very quickly! I've not done any long distance running since the HM in Limerick in May. Have been focusing on sprint triathlons over the Summer. Getting worried about those Dingle hills now. I wonder is the best prep at this stage to do more hill work than long distance runs?

Kill two birds with one stone: why not include hills into your long runs?? My advice would be focus on long runs for the next while, try to get 10-12 miles done between now and then. I find the adrenaline helps you on the day! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Any tips on accommodation for this one?

Not much left near Dingle anyway.

(And yes yes, I know I've left it late :D )

The Dingle Skellig Hotel is showing availability for Fri 31st Aug for €202 on Agoda, (yep it's pricey but it's 270 on booking.com!)

https://www.agoda.com/en-ie/dingle-skellig-hotel/hotel/dingle-ie.html?checkin=2018-08-31&los=1&adults=2&rooms=1&cid=1587482&tag=hid61346,pidW3GArAoQIYEAAQsSzK8AAAA4&searchrequestid=9bcc9a9f-46ce-4725-8a66-c8f0b0f6f3ea&tabbed=true

If you can hold out, rooms in other hotels/b&b's will more than likely become available the week of the marathon, that's how I got a hotel room a couple of years ago. But it is a little risky :)

You could also contact hotels and ask to be put on a waiting list, for cancellation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Thanks Ruby,

I might be down there this weekend. Will get a run in. Are there any recommendations for routes to run, might try get 16/17KM in. I hear the race route isn't ideal when the roads are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

Does anyone know a provisional date for next years event or when would it likely be announced?

jhammer wrote: »
    Does anyone know a provisional date for next years event or when would it likely be announced?

Saturday 7th September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

I got my number in the post today. Hopefully the weather will be better than last year.

tbukela wrote: »
    I got my number in the post today. Hopefully the weather will be better than last year.

Yes, mine has arrived too. It's getting very real now. Into tapertime :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I got my race number in the post but I’m still not sure about certain things, in the leaflet they say something about registration and back collection on the Friday, do I still need t9 collect something on the Friday and register??? Also they say the marathon starts at 9am start, what time are we supposed to be there after I park the car, do I walk from car park to race start. I’m not clear on s lot of things about this event. I’m coming from Cork so need to know I’f I have to head down on friday????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

fin12 wrote: »
    I got my race number in the post but I’m still not sure about certain things, in the leaflet they say something about registration and back collection on the Friday, do I still need t9 collect something on the Friday and register??? Also they say the marathon starts at 9am start, what time are we supposed to be there after I park the car, do I walk from car park to race start. I’m not clear on s lot of things about this event. I’m coming from Cork so need to know I’f I have to head down on friday????

You don't need to pick up anything else in advance of the race - the pick up is for people coming from overseas as they only send out packs to Irish addresses.
    What time you choose to arrive is up to you. You obviously need to be there before 9!! You'll be walking from your car to the start. Just my view but I'd say you'd need to be parking your car at least a half hour beforehand to allow yourself time to stretch your legs after the drive down and get to the start line in good time to avoid stress (also you may need to factor in time to queue for the portaloo!!). So you'd be looking at leaving Cork at 6am at the latest IMO. Don't forget you have to eat breakfast at some point too!!! I'm going to Dingle the night before (doing the half) but that's because I like to be a bit closer to the race in the morning just in case...

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    You don't need to pick up anything else in advance of the race - the pick up is for people coming from overseas as they only send out packs to Irish addresses.
    What time you choose to arrive is up to you. You obviously need to be there before 9!! You'll be walking from your car to the start. Just my view but I'd say you'd need to be parking your car at least a half hour beforehand to allow yourself time to stretch your legs after the drive down and get to the start line in good time to avoid stress (also you may need to factor in time to queue for the portaloo!!). So you'd be looking at leaving Cork at 6am at the latest IMO. Don't forget you have to eat breakfast at some point too!!! I'm going to Dingle the night before (doing the half) but that's because I like to be a bit closer to the race in the morning just in case...

I'm heading the night before too. Really looking forward to it. Very early start still on Saturday morning to let the porridge digest before a 9am start!

Will there be pacers on the day? Think I will stick with the 2 hour pacers as much as I can. My training has been dire so hoping I can get in under the 2 hours on a hilly course!

Thanks I’m actually going to be staying in Glenbeigh Friday night and traveling from there to the marathon, just was wondering did I need to go to Dingle on the Friday as well, thanks for all the info.

I'm heading the night before too. Really looking forward to it. Very early start still on Saturday morning to let the porridge digest before a 9am start!

Will there be pacers on the day? Think I will stick with the 2 hour pacers as much as I can. My training has been dire so hoping I can get in under the 2 hours on a hilly course!

They have pacers. For the half I think it's 1.30 1.45 2.00 2.15. My training has also been far from ideal... I'm blaming the good summer during which i felt compelled to drink beer and eat bbq instead of clocking up the mileageðŸ˜
    Not looking forward to the hill at mile 11 but here's hoping it all comes together on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Here is a profile of the half marathon route

Looking forward to the hills :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

smurfsturf wrote: »
    Here is a profile of the half marathon route

Looking forward to the hills :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to Krueger's ;-)

Are they very strict on the time to finish? What happens if you don’t finish it in 3hrs 30 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are they very strict on the time to finish? What happens if you don’t finish it in 3hrs 30 mins?

I don't know about this race in particular, but generally it means that the roads start to reopen on the route, marshalls start to leave, water stations are packed away... but the finish line usually stays open a bit longer.

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't know about this race in particular, but generally it means that the roads start to reopen on the route, marshalls start to leave, water stations are packed away... but the finish line usually stays open a bit longer.

Ya it’s just there is a bus to bring u back to the car park so would they just drive off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ya it’s just there is a bus to bring u back to the car park so would they just drive off

best email the organisers and ask what time the bus leaves

Are you sure about a bus to the car park? Their website says it's a 10 min walk from the start line. There is a bus to bring the half runners back from the half finish but the full runners finish back at the town

Are you sure about a bus to the car park? Their website says it's a 10 min walk from the start line. There is a bus to bring the half runners back from the half finish but the full runners finish back at the town

Ya I’m doing the half marathon.

Ya I’m doing the half marathon.
    Oh sorry I'd thought it was the full you were referring to. They say on the website that all marathon services finish up after the cut off so I'd say the buses will probably stop then too. But as post above says best try to contact them to check. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

am gutted, was down to do the full on Saturday and last Sat kicking a ball i pulled my quad muscle. this was going to be main race for they year. have physio tonight, just hope its nothing more than just a small pull but it feels quiet bad still and its still swollen and bruised... what are the chances of doing that kicking a bloody ball!!
    i am still going to dingle as have accom paid for, just going to make a weekend out of now.

Advertisement