Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Half & Full Marathon 2018

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    am gutted, was down to do the full on Saturday and last Sat kicking a ball i pulled my quad muscle. this was going to be main race for they year. have physio tonight, just hope its nothing more than just a small pull but it feels quiet bad still and its still swollen and bruised... what are the chances of doing that kicking a bloody ball!!
    i am still going to dingle as have accom paid for, just going to make a weekend out of now.

Oh no, that's rotten luck. How did you get on with the physio?

I'm very nervous of what lies ahead on Saturday in the full marathon. On a positive note, the weather sounds ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

smurfsturf wrote: »
    Here is a profile of the half marathon route

Looking forward to the hills :rolleyes:

Ah jeez I don't like the look of that elevation profile! At least there are two nice downhills close to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

panda100 wrote: »
    Ah jeez I don't like the look of that elevation profile! At least there are two nice downhills close to the end.

Wish I hadn't seen that now :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread. I'm not doing the half marathon but my wife and some of her family had entered but through one reason or another, they've all bailed.

they had a house booked in Dingle harbour (trident holiday homes), it's a self catering house that sleeps 6 and cost €400 for the 31st and 1st.

if anyone is interested, can you send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

RubyK wrote: »
    Oh no, that's rotten luck. How did you get on with the physio?

I'm very nervous of what lies ahead on Saturday in the full marathon. On a positive note, the weather sounds ideal.

unfortunately i have a grade 2 tear of my Quad, 4 to 6 weeks out i think my plans for the rest of the year will be to build it up again, very annoying.

not a bother to you, i did the full last year in the rain and wind and still loved it, so this year with the good weather forecast it will be even be unreal, even that "little" hill at mile 22!! and the drinks afterwards will taste even better that you didn't get a bus back :D

• Advertisement

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    unfortunately i have a grade 2 tear of my Quad, 4 to 6 weeks out i think my plans for the rest of the year will be to build it up again, very annoying.

not a bother to you, i did the full last year in the rain and wind and still loved it, so this year with the good weather forecast it will be even be unreal, even that "little" hill at mile 22!! and the drinks afterwards will taste even better that you didn't get a bus back :D

That's such a shame, I hope your recovery goes well! I was in the same boat as you for London last year, so know how disappointing it is to have all the work done and not get to the start line.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, I've no doubt it will be a sufferfest for me, but the scenery and kind weather will help with the pain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

A crap run in the marathon personally today,but managed to relax and say "to hell with it" This is a really good friendly event and well organised. Stunning scenery and up a beautiful day, nice farmers tan now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya really nice route, I did 15 mins slower than I’ve done in a half marathon before but I think that’s due to the hills. No pressure with time to get bus back. Really nice event and saw some places along the way I’d like to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Well done to everyone who ran. The weather was near perfect. Really enjoyed the run... didn't find the hills so bad this year. Roll on next year!

Really enjoyed the half yesterday. Didn't find the hills as bad as I though I would. Was delighted with my time. Well my watch time that is. Is the time in the official results the gun time as it's a good three minutes over my own recorded time.

I couldn't get down to pacers at the start as it was too congested so didn't start for a while after the gun went off. Very surprised they don't go on chip time considering the congestion at the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

panda100 wrote: »
    I couldn't get down to pacers at the start as it was too congested so didn't start for a while after the gun went off. Very surprised they don't go on chip time considering the congestion at the start line.

Hi Panda. To see your chip time you need to click on your name within the results to get the breakdown. It is the finish time in the column 'Time From Prev Leg' (whatever that means).

Unlike previous posters I did not particularly enjoy the run. Had I known there was going to be so much congestion on the course I would have made sure I was in the start pen a lot earlier. As it happened it took me nearly 5 minutes to get through the start line and then the best part of the first half to get clear air where I could run at my own pace without dodging and weaving.

As the saying goes 'I've been there, done it and got the t-shirt' so will probably be in no rush to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The top is very nice but unfortunately I ordered the wrong size, I got a size too big cause I usually think at these events the sizes are quite small.

fin12 wrote: »
    The top is very nice but unfortunately I ordered the wrong size, I got a size too big cause I usually think at these events the sizes are quite small.

I've found the Dingle tops to be really big in the past so i ordered a smaller size this year and that seems right. I haven't found that with other events. As you say they are usually on the small side.

Hi Panda. To see your chip time you need to click on your name within the results to get the breakdown. It is the finish time in the column 'Time From Prev Leg' (whatever that means).

Ahh yes thank goodness. 4 minute different in gun and chip time! Had to sprint to catch up with the pacers at the start as was impossible to get anywhere near them.

Had a terrible run Saturday in the Dingle Marathon. Suddenly, after mile 14, it turned into a horror show. If it wasn't for the support of fellow runners, I'd be still out there :eek:

Swore blind during/after the race, never again, but today I feel there is unfinished business between me and Dingle!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Had a terrible run Saturday in the Dingle Marathon. Suddenly, after mile 14, it turned into a horror show. If it wasn't for the support of fellow runners, I'd be still out there :eek:

Swore blind during/after the race, never again, but today I feel there is unfinished business between me and Dingle!

Time is a great healer :)

I've never run a marathon but I'd imagine Dingle must be one of the toughest around. I'm not just talking about the hills. It must be mentally tough too having to run past the half finish and then be overtaken by buses carrying the half finishers. So well done for taking it on and finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

im in the same boat.

Time is a great healer :)

I've never run a marathon but I'd imagine Dingle must be one of the toughest around. I'm not just talking about the hills. It must be mentally tough too having to run past the half finish and then be overtaken by buses carrying the half finishers. So well done for taking it on and finishing.

I definitely found it much harder than any other marathon I've done. Yes you are right, it's mentally very tough, I would have loved to flag down one of the busses! But the support from fellow runners was amazing, everyone tried to help those of use who were struggling :)

ISOP wrote: »
    im in the same boat.

Mad isn't it, after going through what was hell at the time, we are still not done.

I booked a B&B today :eek: I've not told my other half, will have to time it right, he thinks that was my final marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I did the 1/2 and it was amazing. When does it open for 2019?

I saw alot of full marathon numbers finish at the 1/2 line tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Mad isn't it, after going through what was hell at the time, we are still not done.

I booked a B&B today :eek: I've not told my other half, will have to time it right, he thinks that was my final marathon!

If Alex Ferguson can change his mind so can you. No law against postponing your retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Ran the full last Saturday, first time doing Dingle. Absolutely brilliant even though I ran my 2nd slowest marathon for this year. The organisation, atmosphere , water stops, support, music, even the weather etc. was top class. The scenery especially the first half was spectacular.

Not an easy run by any means but once you do your training, should be no problem. Thought the first half was harder than the second half bar that killer hill at mile 21-22. I walked up through sections of that hill, I believe that if the hill was sooner in the race it would be a lot do-able . It wasn't as bad as I feared. Next time I will be more prepared for it.

On the last half mile or so I met the half finishers walking back off the buses to the start line, they gave the full runners great support and applause as they made their way to the finish line.

My favourite race now and looking forward to next year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

I don't suppose anyone has a finishers top in medium from last years (2018) Dingle half marathon that they would be willing to part with?

Can swap for a large or contribute towards training/beer fund!!!

Yevon wrote: »
    Would anyone by any chance have a contact for accommodation down there for the marathon weekend? Looking for 3 rooms and it's impossible to find anywhere in Dingle on airbnb etc.

I'm afraid I don't have a contact for you but last year I used this website to book a B&B and there was pretty good availability close to the event. https://www.bnb-reviews.com/kerry-bnb-dingle.html Might be worth a look.
    We stayed in An Capall Dubh last year which was basic but good, very nice people there - great breakfast which they did early for the runners on the event day and which we properly got to appreciate on the day after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

The hostel is basic but very handy and good crack. Check it out.

Advertisement