Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Well Phil has turned up today and played after all. Just gone birdie, eagle to get back to +15.

I'm a big fan of him, but he shouldn't be playing after yesterday.

All he is doing is taking prize money off others.

He has gone down a little in my estimation, bit like Gigi Buffon in the champions league semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote: »
    Every year this tournament shows why you can't let these people organise it.
    They just don't have the experience or expertise, one event a year doesn't give them enough exposure and pretty much every year they make a hash of it.

A course can be brutally hard without being unplayable. Using the couple of good scores to prove the course was ok is silly, they were early in the day and only 3 guys.

Great shots shouldn't be punished and that happened in a number of holes due to poor judgement about pin placement
    John Fienstein's book about the 2002 US Open at Bethpage describes a very professional and thorough process. I'm not disputing that the course set up at Shinnecock is farcical but this event isn't cobbled together by a few inexperienced blazers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He is playing

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

They should abandon the tournament because of Phil. Cheating sod.

Liamalone wrote: »
    They should abandon the tournament because of Phil. Cheating sod.

Lima alone.

Come on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,837 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Butch Harmon meeting Phil with a big embrace today. Was it not Butch who said that Phil should have been disqualified last night? Bit hypocritical if so imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

First Up wrote: »
    John Fienstein's book about the 2002 US Open at Bethpage describes a very professional and thorough process. I'm not disputing that the course set up at Shinnecock is farcical but this event isn't cobbled together by a few inexperienced blazers.

I've just downloaded it now. Enjoyed his book about Beem

Butch Harmon meeting Phil with a big embrace today. Was it not Butch who said that Phil should have been disqualified last night? Bit hypocritical if so imo.

You can still be friends with someone and totally and utterly disagree with them.
    I've had a disagreement with every good friend on every area of life you can imagine.

But - America a bit fake like that in some ways.

He said they are friends good friends but he should have been DQ'd for a rule breach so hardly hypocritical. He is paid to give an opinion its not like he said it behind his back

Greens must be well watered or pin positions easy going by some of the scores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

fullstop wrote: »
    I've just downloaded it now. Enjoyed his book about Beem

Brilliant author. Would highly recommend caddy for life and a good walk spoiled also. Has some other very good non golf related books aswell.

He said they are friends good friends but he should have been DQ'd for a rule breach so hardly hypocritical. He is paid to give an opinion its not like he said it behind his back

Yes, you can say to Phil - Phil I don't think you should play - you are a ****ing eejit

But I'm still your mate.

If you can't say that to a mate - you are not mates.

Yes, you can say to Phil - Phil I don't think you should play - you are a ****ing eejit

But I'm still your mate.

If you can't say that to a mate - you are not mates.
    What he did was totally against the spirit of the game but you could say he took one for the Tour by highlighting the crazy state of the greens - and the point seems to have been taken.

What he did was totally against the spirit of the game but you could say he took one for the Tour by highlighting the crazy state of the greens - and the point seems to have been taken.

but it was a terrible putt . full stop

Can someone post actual rule .

my previous understanding was moving ball rule is about unintended act .

like to take what Phil did to next level place flag or get caddy to kick your ball ?

They probably are covered in rules . in fact I know they are but no one in their right mind needs to ever check them rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ah here, my putting is bad enough without being blamed for Phil's as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Can someone post actual rule .

my previous understanding was moving ball rule is about unintended act .

like to take what Phil did to next level place flag or get caddy to kick your ball ?

They probably are covered in rules . in fact I know they are but no one in their right mind needs to ever check them rules.
    14-5
    A player must not make a stroke at his ball while it is moving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Phil just parred “that” hole with celebration afterwards.

Regarding the cheat comments, these are simply your opinions but the ones that count are the USGA referees and they were unanimous he took a stroke and appropriate penalty applied, say all he want but keyboard unqualified referee opinions are useless.

Ken Brown just showed on Fox where that ball would have ended up way below the green and a bunker to carry, brutal position.

They don't call him Phil The Thrill for nothing and this act won’t ruin my opinion of him.
    Agree/disagree but it’s yesterday now at this stage and time to move on time.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

sky88 wrote: »

Jesus he really does have a hard neck that fella. He thinks it's a big joke now. Complete arsehole carry on.

he is doubling down .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2under for Phil now today, full live on Fox since 3pm

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice to see scores are mixed so far today, still seems will be a test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭basillarkin

what time final pair out?

what time final pair out?
    19.24 Irish time.

Curtis Strange not mincing his words about Mickelson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The morality police all over Phil Mickelson here. Think its pretty amusing myself, nobodys been harmed and hes nowhere near the leaders, no point pretending to be offended.

AdamD wrote: »
    The morality police all over Phil Mickelson here. Think its pretty amusing myself, nobodys been harmed and hes nowhere near the leaders, no point pretending to be offended.
    Lets see how his sponsors react.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lets see how his sponsors react.

I can't see how sponsors who stuck by him during the insider trading scandal will start running for the hills when he hits a rolling ball.

If anything, sponsors might see it as adding to his "charm".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like their are a few birdies around so far.

Going to say 1 over will be the winning score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

PAR. I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Looks like their are a few birdies around so far.

Going to say 1 over will be the winning score

One under

Advertisement