Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car driving simulator?

Options
  • 12-06-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering whether there exist car driving simulators in Ireland? I would like to take a few hrs on the simulator in addition to my normal driving lessons.

Thanx

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Plenty in arcades. Not too sure how practical they'll be though.

Simulators wouldn't really do you much use. Airlines use them to go over safety training without running an airplane. Racing drivers use'em to gauge track position and try and tune into the car, because they have limited windows to train with the car throughout the season.

Any time you spend in a simulator if one was available will just distract you from the observations you've got to make on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I was going to take out a franchise with this lot

http://www.ronanobrien.info/sim2learn/

It was dependant on the Dept of Education making it part of the curriculum, but it never happened. Expensive bit of kit but very good. Idea just faded away

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had a big van visit the school with about 4 or 6 of those in it about 8 years ago. We got it for our LCA students many of whom were doing their learner permit as a task.

It was expensive enough to get for the few hours. I had a go in it myself, quite realistic.
    I'll see can I find the name of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

spurious wrote: »
    We had a big van visit the school with about 4 or 6 of those in it about 8 years ago. We got it for our LCA students many of whom were doing their learner permit as a task.

It was expensive enough to get for the few hours. I had a go in it myself, quite realistic.
    I'll see can I find the name of the company.

That would have been the Sim2Learn franchise holder, based in Galway. Gone now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

There's really no substitute for actual practice. Get a friend or family member with a 2+ year full license to ride with you when they have time. A simulator would be a much different experience than driving an actual car and you really wouldn't learn much of anything from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement