Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Byrne 3Arena 24 October 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Know it’s very late but have a spare ticket goin free if anyone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

spindex wrote: »
    That messed up my plans, I came up early by myself to make sure I was there for 8. Any suggestions of where to go b4 the gig for a pint ? I'm currently in sin é

My regular haunt, best place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Know it’s very late but have a spare ticket goin free if anyone wants it

I'm going but if it's on ground floor can I have it someone else can have mine then. Please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Spectacular!

Joint Gig of the Year (alongside Queen in Marlay Park).

Loved the theatrical vibe and not far off Stop Making Sense in style. Mix of TH material and solo stuff all cracking.

Fantastic band cum dancers.

Envious of his female guitarist how good she was. Back to the axe practice tomorrow.

Tempted to go to the UK to catch it again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Amazing show, as much an experience as a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

That. Was. So. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Raging I couldn't go to this. Saw him at Coachella earlier in the year and he was the highlight of the festival for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Very very cool, amazin what an be done with a few lights and a bare stage, almost twin peaks vibe during one or two of the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wow, that was just pure theatre!

Amazing show, both for its simplicity and the amazing musicians and singing.

DB is one fit man for his age!!

Up there with Ry Cooder for gig of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

That was incredible! What a show, so much talent on stage. Every element came together perfectly. Pure joy!

• Advertisement

So tonight, a few thousand people quietly made their way to 3 Arena, aka The Point, and just had the bestest of times.

Well done to the support act.

Well done to the drummers and the band who stoood, danced and generally entertained us all for 1 hour 40 mins but most of all thank you so much David Byrne for coming to Ireland and doing such a superb gig. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw him live once before at Electric Picnic (with St Vincent) a few years ago, and given what an experience that was this had lots to live up to.

The man does not disappoint.

This Must Be The Place ---> Once in a Lifetime = religious experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Brilliant entertainer. Visuals. Music. Art. Had it all

Loved the shadows and coloring projected on the back stage

Came home and watched once in a lifetime video from 80s land. Still looks great after all these years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Special (good) mention from me for the two chaps in front of me who looked like they were having an out-of-body experience and would self-combust at any minute.

I think they were fans!

Special (bad) mention for the lady in front of me who stuck her phone up right in my line of vision during Every. Single. Song (when I asked her politely to lower it, she did to be fair - and then they upped and left :confused: )

Phones at gigs are going to drive me to violence one of these days :mad:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Special (good) mention from me for the two chaps in front of me who looked like they were having an out-of-body experience and would self-combust at any minute.

I think they were fans!

Special (bad) mention for the lady in front of me who stuck her phone up right in my line of vision during Every. Single. Song (when I asked her politely to lower it, she did to be fair - and then they upped and left :confused: )

Phones at gigs are going to drive me to violence one of these days :mad:

They certainly came out in droves towards the end but didn’t notice it much throughout - people just stood and bopped for the main songs where I was sitting. One of the few gigs at 3 where I wasn’t annoyed in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The guitarist is from Milwaukee and her name is Angie Swan.

https://www.angieswan.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Just a perfect gig, my fifth time seeing the great man live. With each tour I always think "ah he might not put the effort in this time", but he comes back with something new, fresh and worth seeing every singe time.

Was delighted to see a nearly full 3arena, the sound was excellent and the crowd was very respectful (maybe reverential? :D:D:D)

Highlight was the one-two punch of This must be the place, and once in a lifetime, which sounded monumental.

After losing so many great creative artists over the last few years, it's a privilege to still see the likes of DB still putting on great shows like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

From someone who has seen thousands of gigs (work in the industry), this was up with the best. Just superb. If only other artists could put this much effort into their shows. Sensational band and production. David Byrne will go down as one of the all time greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Sublime experience - the Clementines started the night out with a sort of reimagining of Johnny Cash & June Carter - Benjamin has cheered up a lot since I saw him at the Olympia - it must be love!

Speaking of love, there was copious amounts from the crowd for the main man and his well drilled energetic and blatantly happy band - the joy of life was pulsating from the stage. Bind and Burning Down the House were magnificent as were the crowd!

Last time I saw Mr Byrne was the venue he queried last night In 1989 - he was brilliant then but he’s gone super nova now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wow, what an amazing gig. The artistry was incredible, must've taken a huge amount of effort and organisation to get things so perfect. I enjoyed every minute of it and found the combination of fantastic music and breathtaking visuals mesmerising. I was totally blown away by "Once in a lifetime" but it was one highlight among many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Fantastic gig, the stage show was brilliant and what a great bunch of musicians/dancers. Definitely a contender for gig of the year.

31675075728_9547c104bc_z.jpg

45547505421_5281d69fd6_z.jpg

31675066958_e0422b9a0b_z.jpg

31675068438_826367c715_z.jpg

45497252622_a8bdcb29aa_z.jpg

45497253732_ed53e9b50d_z.jpg

31675071128_37e9b83f8e_z.jpg

31675069508_59b5aeaf5a_z.jpg

45497249392_00eab9bf61_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Guy beside me said "That was the worst gig I was ever at, and I'm a fan of his stuff". Left before second encore. :confused:

I think he must of thought he was going to Jason Byrne.

That was a fantastic concert. Still amazed at how just using one light and shadows can set up such an effect, even on a big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rayhoughton

rgunning wrote: »
    Guy beside me said "That was the worst gig I was ever at, and I'm a fan of his stuff". Left before second encore. :confused

He sounds like a great guy.

rednik wrote: »
    Fantastic gig, the stage show was brilliant and what a great bunch of musicians/dancers. Definitely a contender for gig of the year.

Excellent quality pics. What camera were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

rgunning wrote: »
    Guy beside me said "That was the worst gig I was ever at, and I'm a fan of his stuff". Left before second encore. :confused:

I suspect that's someone who's idea of "his stuff" ended in 1988 with the last Talking Heads album, or possibly earlier. Nobody who knows Byrne's solo material could have felt short-changed, and even if you didn't know everything, the sheer theatricality of it would be enough to impress.
    I had to contend with another clown who'd break into conversation during anything he wasn't familiar with. If you don't know all the songs, that's fine - the guy's back catalogue is extensive - but I've no time for idiots who whoop and holler and enthusiastically sing along with the most well-known Talking Heads songs, but then decide that because Byrne's solo stuff (as well as Blind and The Great Curve, for that matter) is unfamiliar to them, this gives them a licence to chat.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Great photos

Am i safe in assuming that they were shot with a DSLR and not a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just a small little compact camera, Sony DSC-HX80 ;);););). Great camera in low light.

I suspect that's someone who's idea of "his stuff" ended in 1988 with the last Talking Heads album, or possibly earlier. Nobody who knows Byrne's solo material could have felt short-changed, and even if you didn't know everything, the sheer theatricality of it would be enough to impress.
    I had to contend with another clown who'd break into conversation during anything he wasn't familiar with. If you don't know all the songs, that's fine - the guy's back catalogue is extensive - but I've no time for idiots who whoop and holler and enthusiastically sing along with the most well-known Talking Heads songs, but then decide that because Byrne's solo stuff (as well as Blind and The Great Curve, for that matter) is unfamiliar to them, this gives them a licence to chat.

I suppose the thing is you put thousands of people in one place, the dicks come out. Maybe I'm a dick too. I was pretty pissed off at the one woman who wanted to stand from literally the second minute the show started and get "seen" by David Byrne. That said, she was having a great time and you know everyone is going to end up standing, but it was literally within two minutes and I can't see David Byrne unless I stand up. I get it when things get into a rhythm etc (and everyone is up and its a big pile of fun), but when you have to stand to see (and make everyone else then stand to see) its a bit annoying especially when things are just warming up. Completely different when the collective desire to dance about to stuff kicks in, but when its totally forced by one person its...I dunno...I'm so f**king old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I suppose the thing is you put thousands of people in one place, the dicks come out. Maybe I'm a dick too. I was pretty pissed off at the one woman who wanted to stand from literally the second minute the show started and get "seen" by David Byrne. That said, she was having a great time and you know everyone is going to end up standing, but it was literally within two minutes and I can't see David Byrne unless I stand up. I get it when things get into a rhythm etc (and everyone is up and its a big pile of fun), but when you have to stand to see (and make everyone else then stand to see) its a bit annoying especially when things are just warming up. Completely different when the collective desire to dance about to stuff kicks in, but when its totally forced by one person its...I dunno...I'm so f**king old.

At least you put the ball in the English net.

Advertisement