Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Byrne 3Arena 24 October 2018

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The guitarist is from Milwaukee and her name is Angie Swan.

https://www.angieswan.com/

There was a good smack of Prince from her. Amazing performance.

Excellent gig, the man’s a creative genius and born entertainer.

A man who was old enough to have more sense got kicked out for insisting on dancing on the stairwell after being asked not to lots of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Echoing the sentiments of everyone else who was there - spellbinding gig, and Burning Down the House was truly amazing.

I don't get the people who chat during the songs they don't know or stream to the bar, or the 2 lads who stood up (not dancing) when everyone else around them was sitting, wouldn't sit down when they were told to by the ushers, then went to the bar during the This Must Be the Place / Once In a Lifetime part and left 4 songs before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Amazing gig - Davud Byrne was fantastic along with incredible band.

Only bad thing was the really bad smell of body odour from a few people sitting in our vicinity. Guy beside us asked if we had any perfume - his wife had her scarf covering her nose. The ladies beside me were spraying body spray in the air during the show.

If it wasn't David Byrne I think I would have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I just met the man himself around the corner from my office, asked for a photo. He said "Walk with me", did a wee bit, babbling. Got my photo and ran off. Am now thinking maybe he didn't know the directions to where he was going!

Terrible photo of me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpXS_VwhW0Q/?hl=en&taken-by=birneybau

• Advertisement

I was babbling. Lovely bloke, here tonight and tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Birneybau wrote: »
    I just met the man himself around the corner from my office, asked for a photo. He said "Walk with me", did a wee bit, babbling. Got my photo and ran off. Am now thinking maybe he didn't know the directions to where he was going!

Oh Wow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I just met the man himself around the corner from my office, asked for a photo.

Was he on foot or have a bike with him?

Effects wrote: »
    Was he on foot or have a bike with him?

Foot. Walking up Jervis Street towards the Gate for 'Hamlet', alone.

Gas to think he probably walked up through Henry and O'Connell or maybe straight up to Parnell Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Foot. Walking up Jervis Street towards the Gate for 'Hamlet', alone.

Gas to think he probably walked up through Henry and O'Connell or maybe straight up to Parnell Street!

Amazing!!! He seems like such a cool guy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Great gig. The guy really is a gem. A cliche to say it but for me it's like looking at a piece of history. December 1983 - stop making sense gig. Getting near the 35 year anniversary.

Anyone ever go to the late night Ambassador Cinema showing of "Stop Making Sense?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, as trips to the cinema go it was a pretty wild night out. The Lighthouse show it every now and then. Went maybe 18 months ago and it was like being back in the Ambassador. Obviously I was a lot older, but most of the crowd was fairly young and didn't stay seated for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone ever go to the late night Ambassador Cinema showing of "Stop Making Sense?

Oh yes!

Zaph wrote: »
    Yep, as trips to the cinema go it was a pretty wild night out. The Lighthouse show it every now and then. Went maybe 18 months ago and it was like being back in the Ambassador. Obviously I was a lot older, but most of the crowd was fairly young and didn't stay seated for very long.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh yes!

Only ever went once. That and the Rocky Horror Show in Harold Cross.

Great nights out both. :D

Good times :)

Long time ago:(

I'm old:(:(:(:(

:P

Been listening to American Utopia on record all evening- yes, record.

Quite a short album- - less than 40 minutes in total, both sides. Brings me back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Argh, I was gonna go to this. Definite presence of backing tracks. Style, substance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

dasdog wrote: »
    Argh, I was gonna go to this. Definite presence of backing tracks. Style, substance etc.

I'm guessing you're trying to stop kicking yourself for missing it, but there were no backing tracks.
    Lots of style.
    Lots of substance (brain anatomy lessons for one)

It was one of those brilliant concerts that live fresh in the memory for days after, and returns in flashes to give you a smile in the middle of the day :)

I actually pulled his How Music Works off the bookshelf to reread - the gig was a consummate demonstration that this guy definitely knows the answer.

41QMPC7RRxL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You didn't go but decided to throw some guff into the thread all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Been listening to American Utopia on record all evening- yes, record.

Quite a short album- - less than 40 minutes in total, both sides. Brings me back though.

That's only cause records can't hold as much music as an mp3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How would you know if you weren't there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Echoing the sentiments of everyone else who was there - spellbinding gig, and Burning Down the House was truly amazing.

I don't get the people who chat during the songs they don't know or stream to the bar, or the 2 lads who stood up (not dancing) when everyone else around them was sitting, wouldn't sit down when they were told to by the ushers, then went to the bar during the This Must Be the Place / Once In a Lifetime part and left 4 songs before the end.

I was in this situation reversed.
    Stood up to dance for this must be the place ( like 70% of people) and was getting told to sit down by 2 squares behing me. In the end i just left and move to an empty row near the back of the auditorium. Seated gigs are a terrible idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

carq wrote: »
    I was in this situation reversed.
    Stood up to dance for this must be the place ( like 70% of people) and was getting told to sit down by 2 squares behing me. In the end i just left and move to an empty row near the back of the auditorium. Seated gigs are a terrible idea

That's bad form. I personally don't like dancing (I've two left feet) but I've no problem with other people dancing at gigs like that. I've no problem standing up for a couple of songs. What harm?
    Thought it was a great gig, held my attention from start to finish. No phones either near me (block F). David Byrne and his crew were amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Aglomerado wrote: »
    That's bad form. I personally don't like dancing (I've two left feet) but I've no problem with other people dancing at gigs like that. I've no problem standing up for a couple of songs. What harm?
    Thought it was a great gig, held my attention from start to finish. No phones either near me (block F). David Byrne and his crew were amazing!

If people want to Dance then there's this great area called Standing. No need to obstuct our views if we paid for 'seating' tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If people want to Dance then there's this great area called Standing. No need to obstuct our views if we paid for 'seating' tickets.

The gig was fully seated, and although I’m a big fan of sitting down, for the few songs where people stood up I was happy to get involved.

The gig was fully seated, and although I’m a big fan of sitting down, for the few songs where people stood up I was happy to get involved.

I guess a fully seated gig is a bit of a grey area for me.

Hmm..

I guess you're right.. if there's no standing area and you want to boogie then yeah it shouldn't be an issue as long as then person behind you is fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The flat area in front of the stage was fully seated.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    The flat area in front of the stage was fully seated.

This had been mentioned

Advertisement