Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close UK Bank Account or not?

• 12-06-2018 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. I've a UK bank account but am living in Ireland now. I want to close my account when I have all the funds withdrawn but am wondering how I can do this? I know you can go to the nearest branch but that's still a bit of a trek and was wondering if it's a good idea to close an English bank account by post? As well I'm now in Ireland I'm no longer living at the English address I gave to the bank. All my statements are paperless but I know you have to give an address when closing so should I just stick with the English address or should I change my address details to my Irish one or would that be hassle? Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Can you not just login to your UK account and either setup an international transfer or use an FX transfer service like currencyfair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Lazyboy101 wrote: »
    Hi. I've a UK bank account but am living in Ireland now. I want to close my account when I have all the funds withdrawn but am wondering how I can do this? I know you can go to the nearest branch but that's still a bit of a trek and was wondering if it's a good idea to close an English bank account by post? As well I'm now in Ireland I'm no longer living at the English address I gave to the bank. All my statements are paperless but I know you have to give an address when closing so should I just stick with the English address or should I change my address details to my Irish one or would that be hassle? Cheers :)

If you have no future use for the account why keep it? A written and signed instruction to transfer funds and close should be all thats needed.

You could use a currency provider to get a better rate but thats adding another step in getting funds back. Depends how much it is whether its worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mjdh1957

UK banks will accept an Irish address - I moved back last year and still intend keeping a UK account and it's not been a problem. Though it did take them some time to work out what an Eircode was... (too many characters for their system).

If you never intend going back and won't have any need for a sterling account then just close it.

Advertisement