Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Modernization Reqire/replumb Estimate

Options
  • 12-06-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    My wife has found a property in South County Dublin. 
    This new house is a mid terrace period property (not a protected structure), approx 280sqm, 3 levels (2 over lower ground), large and well drained valleys/lightwells to the front & back of the lower ground floor (so no rising damp concerns), house is on a sloped street too so water naturally runs away from the terrace.
    The house overall appears to be in great condition (no visible signs of water damage, no roof or floor sagging etc, period features intact), while walls need to be replastered they would be fine in the short term. Essentially it just needs to be modernized. 
    While wiring & plumbing look like they were updated in the 1980's I would want to completely rewire & replumb (water to kitchen, bathrooms, utility, and replace the heating system including all new piping & radiators, convert heating to gas fired (BGE states the house is connected but the house is still on oil). 
    Total area of the house is 250sqm. 
    - Top Floor - 3 bedrooms & landing needing 4 radiators, 1 bathroom on top floor return needing new water pipes and 1 radiator,
    - Middle floor - 2 reception rooms/bedrooms & 1 hallway needing 4 radiators, 1 bathroom on middle floor return needing new water pipes and 1 radiator, 
    - Bottom floor - large open plan kitchen family room & 1 hallway needing 4 radiators, 1 bathroom on bottom floor return needing new piping and 1 radiator. 
    Can anyone give me a rough guess as to what it would cost to rewire & replumb the entire house to a modern standard (i.e. lots of electrical outlets, cat 5 outlets, hidden cable conduit & outlets for 2 wall mounted TVs, pressurized water system (we can get radiators separately), run gas piping to kitchen for stove (new kitchen can be added later).
    Other questions - 
    what's typically actually involved in a full rewire & replumb (will the walls/ceilings/floors get destroyed from chasing to run the piping & cables?). If so any idea on cost to replaster a 250sqm house?
    Is it possible to directly get an electrician and/or plumber to do this or is it only feasible to have a builder come in a do it as part of a larger job (i.e. new kitchen, new bathroom suite)
    The lower ground floor appears to have a concrete floor (based on the fact the existing radiator pipe runs are exposed above floor level). Could a plumber chase the concrete floor to hide piping? Would it cost a small fortune (I'd be fine leaving it above ground and just boxing it in)? I presume it is very old concrete so would chasing it compromise the overall floor structure?
    Any help or guidance on how this could be done would be very much appreciated. Ball park figures are fine.
    Thanks
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Andycap8 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    My wife has found a property in South County Dublin. 
    This new house is a mid terrace period property (not a protected structure), approx 280sqm, 3 levels (2 over lower ground), large and well drained valleys/lightwells to the front & back of the lower ground floor (so no rising damp concerns), house is on a sloped street too so water naturally runs away from the terrace.
    The house overall appears to be in great condition (no visible signs of water damage, no roof or floor sagging etc, period features intact), while walls need to be replastered they would be fine in the short term. Essentially it just needs to be modernized. 
    While wiring & plumbing look like they were updated in the 1980's I would want to completely rewire & replumb (water to kitchen, bathrooms, utility, and replace the heating system including all new piping & radiators, convert heating to gas fired (BGE states the house is connected but the house is still on oil). 
    Total area of the house is 250sqm. 
    - Top Floor - 3 bedrooms & landing needing 4 radiators, 1 bathroom on top floor return needing new water pipes and 1 radiator,
    - Middle floor - 2 reception rooms/bedrooms & 1 hallway needing 4 radiators, 1 bathroom on middle floor return needing new water pipes and 1 radiator, 
    - Bottom floor - large open plan kitchen family room & 1 hallway needing 4 radiators, 1 bathroom on bottom floor return needing new piping and 1 radiator. 
    Can anyone give me a rough guess as to what it would cost to rewire & replumb the entire house to a modern standard (i.e. lots of electrical outlets, cat 5 outlets, hidden cable conduit & outlets for 2 wall mounted TVs, pressurized water system (we can get radiators separately), run gas piping to kitchen for stove (new kitchen can be added later).
    Other questions - 
    what's typically actually involved in a full rewire & replumb (will the walls/ceilings/floors get destroyed from chasing to run the piping & cables?). If so any idea on cost to replaster a 250sqm house?
    Is it possible to directly get an electrician and/or plumber to do this or is it only feasible to have a builder come in a do it as part of a larger job (i.e. new kitchen, new bathroom suite)
    The lower ground floor appears to have a concrete floor (based on the fact the existing radiator pipe runs are exposed above floor level). Could a plumber chase the concrete floor to hide piping? Would it cost a small fortune (I'd be fine leaving it above ground and just boxing it in)? I presume it is very old concrete so would chasing it compromise the overall floor structure?
    Any help or guidance on how this could be done would be very much appreciated. Ball park figures are fine.
    Thanks
    Andy
    Having just spent 18k doing similar (as part of a bigger project, but using separate M&E contractors) on a house half the size.... finger in the air... ~30k
    Electrician/Plumber will chase concrete no probs - but will obviously charge extra as apposed to surface mount.
    The bigger companies will offer a making good service - but again, expect to pay for it. (you could simply get your own plasterer in after either)

Floor boards will get pulled and walls and ceilings will nearly always need to be cut to fish wires/pipes. Depends how neat your electrician/plumber is as to the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Andycap8

Great, thanks for the response.
    We could stomach €30k. I'm not sure the house size is it should be a similar amount of work just using longer pipes/cables - there's not more rooms or more walls than a smaller 3 story house, it's just that each one is larger (the reason it is attractive). Also the bathrooms are all in the return so I presume it can be plumbed down or up from floor to floor (or on the external wall). The central heating though will probably be the main expense. 
    Having it made good though is an interesting problem. Go with guys who's main business is the piping & cabling or go with a dedicated plasterer who'll take more care around cornicing.

Advertisement