Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Raheny

Options
  • 12-06-2018 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

I'm new to boards, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on moving to the Raheny area. My partner and I are interested in a property in Ashcroft estate just outside Raheny village. Has anyone any experience of living in the area or estate, and what it's like? We are first time buyers and would love to buy in the area as it seems to have so much to offer.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Better value to be had in Kilbarrack IMHO but Ashcroft is the better address, but you'll pay for that quarter of a mile or so.

Raheny is a lovely area and encompasses everything from working class estates to millionaires mansions on the Howth road. It has literally everything including great transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I live with my parent not far from Ashcroft, it’s a lovely area to live in, close to the main village and access to the train and bus on your doorstep. Agree with other poster, you will pay extra to live here, and more than likely get a smaller house that you could maybe get further out a few miles away, like tonlagee road, Kilbarrack etc which you would get more for your money.

But if your set on Ashcroft you can’t go wrong ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fadamach

Thanks so much for the advice, it's great to get info from locals. We are open to all options, so we will look into the other areas you mention too. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Basically you're going to get a nicer address and more middle-class neighbours in Ashcroft. For the same money you're going to spend for a 2 bed you'll get a 3 bed in Kilbarrack for 20K less, BUT and it's a Kim sized but, it's going to be ex-corporation and therefore not for everyone. Raheny is very difficult to call at the moment it's very near peak boom pricing in some areas, but it looks to be one of those areas that will break through it's historic pricing due to the area becoming more popular.

All that waffle aside is it a nice place to live, Hell yeah, Parks on your door step, the beach down the road, nice little village and a decent local. If you are buying in the area PM me for a solicitor's recommendation if you don't already have a recommendation from friends or family.

Born and raised there, well not born but you get the idea.

I'd be part of the first generation of kids to grow up there, AFAIK it was built in 1986, from what my parents have told me is that there was two builders.

You'll notice that the first houses built at the front end of the estate are larger, some at the back and left hand side can be quite small and have different external styling features.

One negative about the front of the estate is the road noise, the Raheny Road has gotten significantly busier in the last 10 years since the massive amount of housing north of Donaghmede. Clongriffen, Belmayne etc. Expect a queue of traffic from after 7am until 10am and again form 4pm-6pm.

One positive is there is less anti-social behavior walking past the front of the estate than in years gone by. You still get drunks walking home from the pubs in the village singing and shouting at times on the weekend but it's definitely reduced in recent years.

There has been alot of new families who have moved in over the last decade and there is new generation of kids who can play safely on the two greens.

Due to the proximity of the Dart station alot of cheapos will park in the estate rather than use the large car park beside the church for €3 a day. The second row gets it the worst as there is a single yellow line at the front that went in some years ago.

The build quality of the houses isn't amazing, expect alot of chipboard and cheaper 80s materials on the inside. Most houses would have been renovated at some stage, new floors, PVC windows etc. It all depends on the house you're looking at.

Overall it is a great place to be, never had any significant over the years and it's a quiet place by all accounts. The residents association is quite active and there is a good community atmosphere.

If you want to know anything else let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Fadamach

That's all brilliant advice - thanks so much everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Look around Donaghmede Op - not far from Raheny - and its a lovely area too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The next estates over are Grange Park and Woodbine. Both would give you a larger house and footprint than Ashcroft with no extra negatives. Both are Raheny addresses. Kilbarrack shopping centre is right beside Grange Park which is handy, as is Kilbarrack DART station.

A lot would depend on whether you are going to raise a family there or not. The good schools are hard to get into if you are not in the catchment area so you need to be strategic with your purchase.

Alternatives as others mentioned are Clongriffin/Donaghmede. Not considered as high brow maybe as Raheny but nice areas from what I have seen.

Advertisement