Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD / Mini ITX Workstation - Advice Needed Plz

Options
  • 12-06-2018 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm the person jebidiah was asking for advice on behalf of in the AMD Zen discussion thread.

Hi 😉

I am hoping to build a Ryzen 7 PC for work. I primarily use Adobe Creative Cloud software (After Effects, Premiere, Pshop, Illustrator, etc) and would want the build to handle a bunch of that software running at the same time.

I would also like it to be relatively compact (so mini ITX or Micro ATX) so that I can move it around easily, and if possible, quiet.

I currently have an i7-4770k with 32gb of DDR3 @1600Mhz, and I regularly run close to the full 32GBs being in use (After Effects loads video previews into RAM for playback), so I could use 64GBs, but I am happy to sacrifice that for compactness.

In terms of a GFX card, I do some gaming but not much, and I haven't found that GPU acceleration in the Adobe software makes much of a difference, so that's an area I think I can save money.

I'm currently thinking:

CPU
    AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard
    Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory
    G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Seagate - IronWolf 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    £264.20

Video Card
    Palit - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card

Case
    Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case
    £57.99

Power Supply
    Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I also have a 5TB 3.5" and a 512GB SSD to swap into it. And I was thinking of adding cooling (maybe something from Noctua?) once I see how the stock components work.

Also, I don't plan on over-clocking (unless that makes a lot of sense to do?) and don't mind about RGB colours, etc.

Thoughts on that build would be appreciated.

I am always indecisive when it comes to big purchases, but the range of options for every component is truly. melting. my head.

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement