Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Polyboards if anyone can help.

Options
  • 12-06-2018 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi guys. Does anyone know where to get polyboards also known as v flats - in Ireland - as I'm having fierce trouble trying to find them. Ideally I want 8 by 4 foot. Any help greatly appreciated. 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

thinktwice wrote: »
    Hi guys. Does anyone know where to get polyboards also known as v flats - in Ireland - as I'm having fierce trouble trying to find them. Ideally I want 8 by 4 foot. Any help greatly appreciated. 😊

Poly boards and v flats are technically two different things, however, a quick search has given me this and I think it might be the closest you’ll get unless you want to drive to England.

https://www.build4less.ie/insulation-materials/floor-insulation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I assume you're referring to the foam core v-flats that a lot of American photographers rave about?

You won't find them easily in Ireland. And if you do the price will be ridiculous at the size you want.

My advice, just go to one of the big hardware stores and pick up some of the styrofoam like insulation boards. You'll be able to get them in the size you want and a few different thicknesses. They'll probably be sturdier than the foam core, and it's easy enough to rig up something that will enable them to stand freely on their own. Or just lean them against a stool or a light stand like I usually do. Also, remember to paint one side black so that you can use them as a negative fill if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

gloobag wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to the foam core v-flats that a lot of American photographers rave about?

You won't find them easily in Ireland. And if you do the price will be ridiculous at the size you want.

My advice, just go to one of the big hardware stores and pick up some of the styrofoam like insulation boards. You'll be able to get them in the size you want and a few different thicknesses. They'll probably be sturdier than the foam core, and it's easy enough to rig up something that will enable them to stand freely on their own. Or just lean them against a stool or a light stand like I usually do. Also, remember to paint one side black so that you can use them as a negative fill if needed.

Poly boards are polystyrene and v-flats are the foam core.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to have to DIY it! I've tried everywhere for both and having no luck.

I have both black and white seamless paper so might construct a frame for and build a black and white versions (with wheels on the bottom!)

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Poly boards and v flats are technically two different things, however, a quick search has given me this and I think it might be the closest you’ll get unless you want to drive to England.

https://www.build4less.ie/insulation-materials/floor-insulation.html

Thanks monkeynuz - I've been to my local hardware shops to check them out in the last few weeks but none seem suitable - is this something you have done yourself? Trip to England isn't an option especially trying to bring them back to Ireland!

• Advertisement

gloobag wrote: »

Thanks gloobag, I'll go back to my local hardware shop again and see if they've got styrofoam. I saw the insulation boards recently but they seemed way too bulky. Just thought there might be a place in Dublin that has them.

Advertisement