Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still no cause of death for Dolores O'Riordan

• 13-06-2018 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Had The Cranberries come up on YouTube today and with the 2 recent celebrity suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade still also fresh in my mind I started wondering if they had ever announced how she passed and if I had missed it.

It turns out the inquest that was due on April 3 was removed from schedule on that same day with no reason given and now 2 months later, and 5 months past her death, no new date given or any other news.

I understand she has children and wanting them to have privacy etc. but it's very unusual given how quickly other news has come out about Aviici, Bourdain, Spade etc who have all died since. Perhaps it's not as simple as those incidents but surely all medical tests have been done by now. It seems like they are just going to let it go and maybe assume people will forget but it seems really odd the way this played out.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0403/951902-inquest-into-death-of-dolores-oriordan-postponed/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do you really need them to tell you what you already know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

You have to let it linger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Well, those other deaths were suicides. Maybe they don’t suspect that for Dolores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Do you really need them to tell you what you already know?

I knew that would be the first comment, 'Why do you need to know?'

I don't, but the fact they have not done the inquest with no explanation seems highly unusual. If anything it makes me question if that was the cause. The other 3 celebrities I mentioned we knew within days, actually mere hours for the last two.

But if you want me to state why I think it's important, that's easy. I think high profile suicides really underline how badly we need to do a much better job of tackling mental health worldwide. If these people who seemingly have it all can't cope, we really need to start taking this issue more seriously. If all these deaths were just left to be unexplained than any people who might suffer from similar issues won't know that they share the same problems as these celebrated people, and will feel even more alone, compounding the problem even more.

If I was a famous person suffering from mental health issues so badly that I died as a result, I would think it a shame that it be swept under the rug while others suffered in shame and isolation. Especially if I was a musician whose talent was the way they connected with people through performance and help them through hard times by lifting them up with music (I'll always remember Dolores as the joyful young woman singing Dreams at Woodstock '94)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

cursai wrote: »
    You have to let it linger.
    You're a bad person for that but I like you anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Tackle over indulgence in alcohol or drugs first......... Get rid of those two MASSIVE common denominator's
    And then we can tackle depression, mental health, suicides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

Tackle over indulgence in alcohol or drugs first......... Get rid of those two MASSIVE common denominator's
    And then we can tackle depression, mental health, suicides etc.

Alcohol and drugs are often a way for people to try to escape their reality

I knew that would be the first comment, 'Why do you need to know?'

I don't, but the fact they have not done the inquest with no explanation seems highly unusual. If anything it makes me question if that was the cause. The other 3 celebrities I mentioned we knew within days, actually mere hours for the last two.

But if you want me to state why I think it's important, that's easy. I think high profile suicides really underline how badly we need to do a much better job of tackling mental health worldwide. If these people who seemingly have it all can't cope, we really need to start taking this issue more seriously. If all these deaths were just left to be unexplained than any people who might suffer from similar issues won't know that they share the same problems as these celebrated people, and will feel even more alone, compounding the problem even more.

If I was a famous person suffering from mental health issues so badly that I died as a result, I would think it a shame that it be swept under the rug while others suffered in shame and isolation.
    The original suspicion was either accidental overdose from opiods or suicide.
    Agree that if it was suicide and it is being hushed up then it is doing a disservice to others suffering from depression.
    It is the amoral pharma companies that bear the primary responsibility for deaths of Prince and Tom Petty. Given how "important" they are to the Irish economy and the billions in profits made from prescription painkillerswould not be surprised if they were behind the cover up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In a voicemail she left that day she sounded very upbeat and so I doubt it was suicide myself, seems more like an accidental overdose, which appears to be implicated in quite a few celebrity deaths over the years (Heath Ledger, Prince etc). Course, when people aren't famous and pass away in similar fashion we are unlikely to hear of such things and so maybe it's even more common for people to accidental overdose that we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I too listened to her and The Cranberries music so I should know how she died. I'm being sarcastic by the way. It makes no difference to me how she unfortunately passed away when she had so many years ahead of her. Knowing the ins and outs of why she died won't bring her back so like Frozen, let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Olsky wrote: »

But all they really do is heighten the issues and reduce the effectiveness of prescribed treatments.

The cause of death of any person, famous or not, is of public interest esprcially of theres a possibility of foul play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Plenty of random reasons too. For example heart problems aneurysm, asthma attack, sudden immune system reaction to an allergen, or something else that she may have been totally unaware of.

I know two people who just passed, due to cardiac problems where they just randomly had electrical issues and took heart attacks.

As they were both in normal health and they had no warning, there was rather unpleasant speculation in both cases about other causes.

Unfortunately, humans are prone to occasionally having fatal, biological glitches.

I would suggest that people leave her family, friends and former band mates to grieve in peace. Speculation doesn’t help and it’s up to her loved ones whether they ever want to release the details of how she died. They don’t owe the public any explanations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is it a big deal? We're not owed anything or any news.
    I'd leave the family and friends find out and if they want to make the results public so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Reasons why this stuff is public

Inquest Public Policy Considerations
    (i) to determine the medical cause of death;
    (ii) to allay rumours or suspicions;
    (iii) to draw attention to the existence of circumstances which, if unremedied, might lead to further deaths;
    (iv) to advance medical knowledge;
    (v) to preserve the legal interests of the deceased person’s family, heirs or other interested parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

But if you want me to state why I think it's important, that's easy. I think high profile suicides really underline how badly we need to do a much better job of tackling mental health worldwide.

See, I reckon that just something you came up with to try to morally justify the kind of morbid curiosity about other people's misfortunes that many Irish people are afflicted with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

See, I reckon that just something you came up with to try to morally justify the kind of morbid curiosity about other people's misfortunes that many Irish people are afflicted with.

All inquests are public as they do serve a public interest beyond simple morbid curiousity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

EdgeCase wrote:
    I know two people who just passed, due to cardiac problems where they just randomly had electrical issues and took heart attacks.

These are also associated with people (mostly women) who are anorexic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'd leave the family and friends find out and if they want to make the results public so be it.

In don't think they have a choice. The coroner's report is public record afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

In a voicemail she left that day she sounded very upbeat and so I doubt it was suicide myself, seems more like an accidental overdose, which appears to be implicated in quite a few celebrity deaths over the years (Heath Ledger, Prince etc). Course, when people aren't famous and pass away in similar fashion we are unlikely to hear of such things and so maybe it's even more common for people to accidental overdose that we think.

Have you not seen the video that Chester Bennington's wife posted to highlight that you don't always know how people are feeling and how great a toll what they're going through is taking on them?

https://twitter.com/TalindaB/status/909079832700518402

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Shir the dogs in the streets know that the reality is with alcohol and drugs you escape from nothing!?

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I would suggest that people leave her family, friends and former band mates to grieve in peace. Speculation doesn’t help and it’s up to her loved ones whether they ever want to release the details of how she died. They don’t owe the public any explanations.
    razorblunt wrote: »

Completely wrong in my opinion. The reasons why this has been suppressed is a matter of valid public interest. I don't think interested parties should be allowed to get away with this and I don't think the cover up should be supported and justified like this.

I.e if the death of a high profile personality was the result of drugs sold legally here by pharma companies that invest in the economy and the "training" of medical professionals should they be allowed to use their influence to cover it up " for the sake of the feelings of her family, acquaintances and bandmates"

And why do ye assume that those close to her are even in agreement with the cover up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

it's none of our business so if the family have decided to keep it private that should be up to them.

eviltwin wrote: »
    it's none of our business so if the family have decided to keep it private that should be up to them.

Even if the family were pressurised and financially compensated for their agreement

What about the "feelings" of the families who will lose loved ones in the future because this is being suppressed.

If someone is shot dead do you think this should be suppressed to save the "feelings" of their family and the good name of the gun manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If there is a privacy issue, why 'postpone'?

Does not make sense. We can only wait.

But no matter what - we ain't getting her back sadly.

Had a friend that committed suicide a few years ago. The close family was persuaded to go along with a cover up of saying it was an accident because truth would hurt their social standing.
    When I threatened to expose real cause I was told to consider and respect the "feelings" of the family.

To be frank I think the lying, the dishonestly and the scheming and the strict prohibition on talking about it ended up hurting them a lot more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Know of a similar story myself Olsky.

32 yr old man intentionally overdosed.

His auld fella never knew, rest of the family told him he died naturally in sleep from heart failure and vehemently denied any story to the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Even if the family were pressurised and financially compensated for their agreement

What about the "feelings" of the families who will lose loved ones in the future because this is being suppressed.

If someone is shot dead do you think this should be suppressed to save the "feelings" of their family and the good name of the gun manufacturer

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Completely wrong in my opinion. The reasons why this has been suppressed is a matter of valid public interest. I don't think interested parties should be allowed to get away with this and I don't think the cover up should be supported and justified like this.

I.e if the death of a high profile personality was the result of drugs sold legally here by pharma companies that invest in the economy and the "training" of medical professionals should they be allowed to use their influence to cover it up " for the sake of the feelings of her family, acquaintances and bandmates"

And why do ye assume that those close to her are even in agreement with the cover up?

There is an inquest to be gone through, there is no conspiracy, the inquest will be a matter of public record, there is no cover up.
    Inquests get delayed all the time due to availability of witnesses, criminal investigations all sorts of reasons.

Had a friend that committed suicide a few years ago. The close family was persuaded to go along with a cover up of saying it was an accident because truth would hurt their social standing.
    When I threatened to expose real cause I was told to consider and respect the "feelings" of the family.

To be frank I think the lying, the dishonestly and the scheming and the strict prohibition on talking about it ended up hurting them a lot more in the long run.

Surely if the family wanted to treat the person's suicide as something different then that's their decision. Why would you want to interfere with the delicate process of grief and what they felt was right? It's not your call to make.

Dolores O'Riordain bless her is gone now. No amount of speculation or curiosity dressed up as "the common good" will change that.

• Advertisement

Why would you act like that towards a bereaved family? Maybe it wasn’t the right thing to do to not report it as a suicide but it must have been a devastating and overwhelming time for your friend’s family. You would have just added to their woes. Why would you put ‘feelings’ in inverted commas?

The family might in time decide to disclose the cause of death but that’s their business, not yours. You can only speculate on whether lying about the cause of death made things worse or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Leave it alone I say. Celebrities are held to a higher standard for no reason at all. If it was Joe Soap down the road that committed suicide, no one would bat an eyelid if the family chose not to be open about that. If indeed it was suicide, DoR's family arent obliged to plaster that everywhere, especially since she had young kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The inquest was probably put back to another date due to the
    unavailability of a witness for the original date. As opposed to a grand
    conspiracy. An inquest has to be held by law. With the circumstances
    uncertain and open to different interpretations you will likely get a finding
    of misadventure in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Why would you act like that towards a bereaved family? Maybe it wasn’t the right thing to do to not report it as a suicide but it must have been a devastating and overwhelming time for your friend’s family. You would have just added to their woes. Why would you put ‘feelings’ in inverted commas?

The family might in time decide to disclose the cause of death but that’s their business, not yours. You can only speculate on whether lying about the cause of death made things worse or not.

Well it's possible they didn't have a very good relationship with each other. If they didn't, and the person who committed suicide was neglected in that the family didn't particular keep in touch with the person particularly often or at all...it would reflect badly on the family in their community if this came out - say for example if a person was found dead if they lived alone - and they weren't discovered for weeks.

It was by no means a unanimous decision but certain members of the family felt it might reflect badly on them so they persuaded others that there should be a conspiracy of silence and they all agreed to lie about the cause of death.
    Funny thing is the same justifications were used as are being used here to justify the cover up.
    It is nobody elses business. Nobody needs to know. The feelings of some members of the family would be hurt if the truth was known.

It was by no means a unanimous decision but certain members of the family felt it might reflect badly on them so they persuaded others that there should be a conspiracy of silence and they all agreed to lie about the cause of death.
    Funny thing is the same justifications were used as are being used here to justify the cover up.
    It is nobody elses business. Nobody needs to know. The feelings of some members of the family would be hurt if the truth was known.

So, that’s what the family decided. People allowed themselves to be persuaded. What business was it of yours?

Why do people need to know what the cause of death was? And with suicides, there can be the copycat effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

eviltwin wrote: »

The family don't have a choice in the matter. Coroner's inquests are a matter of public record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

These can take a year or two. It’s normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

_Dara_ wrote: »
    So, that’s what the family decided. People allowed themselves to be persuaded. What business was it of yours?

Why do people need to know what the cause of death was? And with suicides, there can be the copycat effect.

To raise awareness of suicide - not to raise awareness of the person who committed it per se but to raise awareness of the reasons behind it.

Suicide has always been a bit of a mystery. It is always a wonder especially in the case that the person was know to one personally why they did it when they never seen anything particularly wrong with them.

I think if ppl were more open about the subject - especially what the bereaved family might say - we might be better able to identify ppl who are suicidal and thus in a better position to prevent it as far as it can.

If families of the bereaved feel they are better served by being utterly private about the whole incident then I think they are putting themselves above the issues - which is a little bit selfish imo. They could provide vital info where we could better understand the issue but they won't do that in case when the whole story comes out it might reflect badly on them.

Edit: Additionally - what happens when the general public don't know the full facts. They say that the person who committed suicide was being selfish. A utterly crass remark to make about someone who felt so bad they went through with taking their own life.

AllForIt wrote: »
    To raise awareness of suicide - not to raise awareness of the person who committed it per se but to raise awareness of the reasons behind it.

Suicide has always been a bit of a mystery. It is always a wonder especially in the case that the person was know to one personally why they did it when they never seen anything particularly wrong with them.

I think if ppl were more open about the subject - especially what the bereaved family might say - we might be better able to identify ppl who are suicidal and thus in a better position to prevent it as far as it can.

If families of the bereaved feel they are better served by being utterly private about the whole incident then I think they are putting themselves above the issues - which is a little bit selfish imo. They could provide vital info where we could better understand the issue but they won't do that in case when the whole story comes out it might reflect badly on them.

Edit: Additionally - what happens when the general public don't know the full facts. They say that the person who committed suicide was being selfish. A utterly crass remark to make about someone who felt so bad they went through with taking their own life.

It’s still up to the family of the deceased whether they want to add to that awareness. It’s certainly not the say of someone outside the family. I can’t understand people standing in judgment of how a bereaved family copes with such a tragedy. We’re all different. Bereaved familys don’t owe anything to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Inquest is live now on Sky News.

Verdict is drowning - accidental death due to Alcohol intoxication. Seems she was found in a bath, submerged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

BAC was 330mg, that's pretty damn high even for a seasoned drinker, and definitely enough for one to pass out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i though it was an accidental OD on Fentanyl

maccored wrote: »
    i though it was an accidental OD on Fentanyl

Yeah. That was my assumption. She had been on prescribed opioids so an educated guess. Particularly as fentanyl killed Prince and Tom Petty in the last year. And made the owner of the company that sells it into a billionaire.
    Previous suicide attempts so that was also a possibility.

Both guesses wrong. Not suicide. Very drunk and passed out in the bath.
    Accidental death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Family were telling people it was an accidental overdose of prescription medication. They may reckon it's better than her being so drunk she passed out.
    Whatever reason she was a fab person and it's sad she's gone. She deserved better from those around her.

Advertisement