Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a Fixed Rate Mortgage

• 13-06-2018 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭

Are there penalties attached to moving mortgage provider if you have a fixed rate load?
    We are considering fixing for 3/5 years with EBS @ 3% (std. variable for them is 3.7%).
    If, midway through the fixed period, we wanted to move to another bank - is there a way to find out what the penalty would be?
    We're about 18 months into a 35 year mortgage!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I think it's usually 6 month's interest that's charged to the account to break.

In fairness, if there wasn't there'd be no such thing as fixed rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Alkers

The letter we have from EBS says that an early redemption charge is payable where:
    • The capital payment or full repayment is made to the loan,
    • If the loan is converted to a variable rate / tracker rate,
    • If the loan is converted to another fixed rate.

I guess I hadn't copped that if I moved to another provider, then in terms of my bank the full repayment would be made to the loan by the new mortgage provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The letter we have from EBS says that an early redemption charge is payable where:
    • The capital payment or full repayment is made to the loan,
    • If the loan is converted to a variable rate / tracker rate,
    • If the loan is converted to another fixed rate.

I guess I hadn't copped that if I moved to another provider, then in terms of my bank the full repayment would be made to the loan by the new mortgage provider.

Er, of course. How else did you think it would work?

Advertisement