Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave Omelettes

Options
  • 13-06-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey

Looking for one of those microwave Omelette makers. Do they still exist, can see them in Argos or debenhams?

Anyone know where to get one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

oh jesus, why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Zulu wrote: »
    oh jesus, why?

I can see the attraction. Most things turn out less than edible in a microwave, but eggs (NOT in shell! :D) and porridge are perfect for microwave cooking.
    OK, I haven't tried omelette, but I make a mean microwave scrambled egg.
    Just crack three egs into a bowl with some soft cheese and a dash of milk, salt and pepper, whisk and slam into microwave.
    Takes a few minutes and needs to be stirred with a fork every now and then.
    If done right, it is fluffy and nice and moist.
    Ifoverdone, it turns into rubber.
    Personally I wouldn't bother with an omelette maker, just get a bowl that is more wide than deep.
    One less gadget to wash up or cluttering the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrpdap

I can see the attraction. Most things turn out less than edible in a microwave, but eggs (NOT in shell! :D) and porridge are perfect for microwave cooking.
    Just crack three egs into a bowl with some soft cheese and a dash of milk, salt and pepper, whisk and slam into microwave.
    Takes a few minutes and needs to be stirred with a fork every now and then.
    If done right, it is fluffy and nice and moist.
    Ifoverdone, it turns into rubber.
    Personally I wouldn't bother with an omelette maker, just get a bowl that is more wide than deep.
    One less gadget to wash up or cluttering the press.

Or just use a frying pan. It only takes a few minutes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've tried it, but how on *Earth* do you clean the bowl after, the stuff is atomically glued to it.

Maybe I'm overcooking and not stirring enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've tried it, but how on *Earth* do you clean the bowl after, the stuff is atomically glued to it.

I use a glass bowl and find it just wipes clean afterwards (scrambled eggs that is) - stop cooking them when they are still slightly runny and leave them for a few seconds to finish off by themselves.

• Advertisement

Thanks CD. I've been using cheap plastic.

(Although, my younger self cooked scrambled eggs to the point when all moisture had left, and they were a lovely crumbly brown. You live and learn.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

mrpdap wrote:

I'm guessing it's to use in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Asking because I'd like to try it in work for lunch. No kitchen just a microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zulu wrote: »
    oh jesus, why?
    mrpdap wrote: »

some people might prefer microwaved eggs, they might bother to do it correctly, rather than making rubber mats like most decide to do.

If the standard practice for using a frying pan was similar to microwaves it would be

a- get it roaring hot, hob only on highest, only 1 power setting EVER.
    b -add no oil whatsoever
    c -never, EVER, stir the food.

Then eggs made on the hob might have a bad name too.
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Very likely, the bowl and egg itself will stay hot and continue to cook a good while after the power is cut off.

In this article they did scrambled, poached, "sunny side up" and boiled eggs. The tasters preferredt the microwaved poached & boiled ones.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/cooking/tips/a32091/how-to-microwave-eggs/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I saw someone making an omelette once by putting the beaten egg mix in a sandwich bag (forcing all air out - very important!) & microwaving for several minutes. Came out ok.

• Advertisement

I saw someone making an omelette once by putting the beaten egg mix in a sandwich bag (forcing all air out - very important!) & microwaving for several minutes. Came out ok.

French haute cuisine at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Microwave omlette can be made with no oil, and the process works really well. Ideal for us office drones.

Amazon sell dedicated plastic containers for it. Some NZ made Sistema ones. No sticking to the container, it just empties out.

Two eggs, cheese, splash of milk, salt, pepper.
    45 seconds on full, stir or shake, another 45 seconds and check to make sure it's cooked. Give it 2 minutes to cool and firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Home Store and More.

Advertisement