Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lopetegui sacked as Spain manager

• 13-06-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭

Astonishing.

Breaking now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wow!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wow.
    Busters, bets, and prediction s/sheets all up in flames!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thats what Real Madrid will do to you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

HAHA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Spain going full Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mental...
    Has a manager ever been sacked at this point so close to W.C before?
    Especially of one of the favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

absolute scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I was only thinking yesterday that there has been a severe lack of controversy in the build up to this WC.

They should still get out of the group but I wonder how the players will react to this news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

Zidane to step in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Player revolt on the cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Del Bosque surely , since the Allo Allo reboot fell through I don't think he is doing anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Real Madrid separating the whole country after the appointment. Could've announced it after the world cup but then again if Lopetegui didn't inform the Spanish FA it's his fault as well

1 day before the world cup !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Some papers were saying that Hierro would take over, but it might be Albert Celades, the national team's Under-21s coach. Perhaps they should just let Iniesta run the show for the 4 weeks.
    Loptegui signed an extension to his contract as recently as 22May18, so they had to kick him out - no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Are they completely nuts?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

1 of the favorites surely but who will lead them now and their preparation for Friday's game!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Player revolt on the cards?

Ballague (yes, I know) has tweeted that there was a debate with the players involving the Spanish Federation President Luis Rubiales.

The President's position to sack Lopetegui won out.

Whether the players are on board, who knows?

nullzero wrote: »
    Are they completely nuts?

for instance, Bobby Robson agreed to take over PSV after the 1990 World Cup, prior to that tournament.

It's an incredible decision to take, 2 days out from their first match.

It reeks of insecurity. It's a desperate attempt to make it clear that Real Madrid is not bigger than the national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Marca (again, I know) were reporting that Ramos was leading a group of "influential" players - you'd imagine any Real players would have the side of the manager here at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Portugal 3-1 to win on Friday
    Starting to look like value

I reckon pretty much all of the players would have backed the manager.

Leave him carry on the work and he walks at the end of the WC.

All the Spanish FA has done is cut off its nose to spite its face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon pretty much all of the players would have backed the manager.

Leave him carry on the work and he walks at the end of the WC.

All the Spanish FA has done is cut off its nose to spite its face.

Exactly, they're all professionals who just want to win the WC. I imagine they couldn't care less where the manager goes after the tournament. They'd all realise (even the Barca players) that their chances of winning the tournament have now been damaged, and they'll pin the blame on the president before the manager or Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Crazy decision by Rubiales, he states that he has spoken with the players and that they have guaranteed they will give everything “along with the new coach to take the team as far as possible”. You would have to wonder just how the players could get into a decent mindset for the Portugal game.

Any sign of the new coach that he is talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Mental getting rid of a key person on your team so close to the World Cup, how embarrassing......oh wait.............

Lopetegui should have been more transparent with the Spanish FA about the Madrid job, it looks like he took the job and then decided to tell the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is great! Normally it is one of the African teams that engage in self sabotaging nonsense like this (or ourselves :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Lopetegui should have been more transparent with the Spanish FA about the Madrid job, it looks like he took the job and then decided to tell the FA.

Isnt that how eveeryone takes new jobs. Accept the job and then tell your current job.

Its just stupid on all levels from the Spanish FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

SlickRic wrote: »
    for instance, Bobby Robson agreed to take over PSV after the 1990 World Cup, prior to that tournament.

It's an incredible decision to take, 2 days out from their first match.

It reeks of insecurity. It's a desperate attempt to make it clear that Real Madrid is not bigger than the national team.

Bobby Robson didn't sign a contract a fortnight before though, nor did he have half the PSV side and half of his new big rivals side in his squad, or even an array of his likely future transfer targets in his squad.

It's a mess. I can see how the Spanish FA's hand has been forced here. In signing a contract a fortnight ago and deciding to leave days later, as well as letting news become public, Loptegul's really shat on the Spanish from a height

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Marca (again, I know) were reporting that Ramos was leading a group of "influential" players - you'd imagine any Real players would have the side of the manager here at least.

Presumably Pique and the Barca contingent wouldn't be as keen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Will this split the Spanish players or galvanize them?

Astonishing decision by the Spanish FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So, has he left Russia.... or is this just a pre-sacking and he'll be on the sideline tomorrow?

Isnt that how eveeryone takes new jobs. Accept the job and then tell your current job.

Its just stupid on all levels from the Spanish FA.

I get that, but he should have went to the FA and let them know about Madrids interest, which he would have been presumably aware about for some weeks.

Albert Celades is the new Spain manager.

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1006853360237121537

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ramos as player/manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

SlickRic wrote: »
    Albert Celades is the new Spain manager.

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1006853360237121537

Current u21s manager, for those who didn't know.

Guess he was already over there?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Current u21s manager, for those who didn't know.

Guess he was already over there?

Hierro will assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jaysus! They say it's because he didn't discuss his Real Madrid appointment with the Spanish federation first.

The sacking still doesn't make sense though!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Jaysus! They say it's because he didn't discuss his Real Madrid appointment with the Spanish federation first.

The sacking still doesn't make sense though!
    Reading between the lines, I'd say there was considerable disquiet amongst the players about Real's announcement and that's why he's gone. Saying he was sacked because he handled it the wrong way is about keeping the heat of the controversy away from the players.

Announcing they were taking the NT's manager two days before the WC is such a Real thing to do. I don't imagine any player would publicly air grievances as it'd make them the lightning rod for any trouble that followed, but I'd say plenty of them were plenty pissed off about it. It was seriously unprofessional of Lopetegui and despite what they might say in public, playing for the Real Madrid manager would create instability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Reading between the lines, I'd say there was considerable disquiet amongst the players about Real's announcement and that's why he's gone. Saying he was sacked because he handled it the wrong way is about keeping the heat of the controversy away from the players.

Announcing they were taking the NT's manager two days before the WC is such a Real thing to do. I don't imagine any player would publicly air grievances as it'd make them the lightning rod for any trouble that followed, but I'd say plenty of them were plenty pissed off about it. It was seriously unprofessional of Lopetegui and despite what they might say in public, playing for the Real Madrid manager would create instability.

Why? What difference does it make who he manages aftre the world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What a news story. Brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Incredible news. The stars are aligning. Football's coming home!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Why would the Spanish FA president put himself in this position?! It's a lose-lose situation. Mind boggling stuff. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ardent wrote: »
    Why would the Spanish FA president put himself in this position?! It's a lose-lose situation. Mind boggling stuff. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

You obviously haven't been following the ongoings in Spanish football recently. This is nothing compared to the stuff his predecessor Villar got up to. Indeed he only got the job because Villar had to be removed after being arrested on corruption charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why? What difference does it make who he manages aftre the world cup?

Something something Barcelona something something Franco something classless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Ardent wrote: »

I actually think he's right. You sit down with a manager and sign a contract to go up to 2020. Its then announced, 3 weeks later that he's actually put no value on that contract by signing one with another team. The disrespect alone would mean you should fire him. There's no reason for Lopetegui to achieve anything with Spain as he has his new job regardless. If Real Madrid wanted him, couldn't they have waited until after the World Cup and lined everything up with his agent in the meantime? When Spain lost their semi-final, Real could have announced this after the 3rd-4th play-off match.

jacool wrote: »
    I actually think he's right. You sit down with a manager and sign a contract to go up to 2020. Its then announced, 3 weeks later that he's actually put no value on that contract by signing one with another team. The disrespect alone would mean you should fire him.

I too think they deserve credit for having the backbone to tell him to take a hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In isolation, sacking him immediately for what he did is totally fair enough, and perhaps even suing him for breach of contract since he only renewed a few weeks ago, or holding him to it and putting him on gardening leave for the next year or something...

but this isn't in isolation. With the whole country watching, there's got to be a way to register their displeasure with his actions, and manage some sort of punishment - financial or otherwise - without blowing up the biggest event in football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement