Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lopetegui sacked as Spain manager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Thought RM announcing this just before the WC was disrespectful to the national team and would definitely have an affect on the performance.
    David moyes top step in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great opportunity for Portugal to try and capitalise on this mess, although I'd still consider a Spanish side with this on their plate as a dangerous outfit. I don't think their group is an easy one though. Morocco and Iran come into the tournament in good form. Need the experienced pros like Iniesta, Pique and Ramos to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Was thinking no country would ever allow something like this happen and then remembered Saipan. Boards would have been a hoot around then!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

idnkph wrote: »
    Thought RM announcing this just before the WC was disrespectful to the national team and would definitely have an affect on the performance.
    David moyes top step in

This for me is the main thing I take from it. The rivalry between clubs is fierce in Spain and you be wondering was RM trying to get an impact here. The eve of a tournament where your favorites (or 1 of them) to have your manager to become the manager of a rival club where you be wondering is he getting treatment just because he is RM. I am not saying Lopetegui would do that as I say he would do his best job but it would cast doubt where ans with whom his loyalties stand. Giving the job to Hierro is strange given his experience. Why not let the next in line take charge. I wonder is it just for the Portugal match untill they can get the U21 Manager out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

idnkph wrote: »
    Thought RM announcing this just before the WC was disrespectful to the national team

Apparently some of the squad knew and they feared it would be leaked before they could announce it. The fact that the Spanish FA were completely unaware of the negotiations, now that was very disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'd say this could go one of two ways. The squad split and capitulate resulting in failure at the world cup or the likes of Spain are such a well drilled machine it's business as usual and they go about things as normal and storm through the tournament. Either way it's a nice little sideline to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ERG89 wrote: »
    Apparently some of the squad knew and they feared it would be leaked before they could announce it. The fact that the Spanish FA were completely unaware of the negotiations, now that was very disrespectful.

From what I read, all the RM players in the squad knew, but others didn't.

However, apparently a non-RM player found out....and the RM players went to manager and said there is a chance this could leak...so obviously then Real Madrids hand was forced and they had to announce it.

Looking at it from the outside, I think it was poor form from the manager as well. He agreed a new contract recently with the Spanish FA to take them to the next Euros.

He then went and signed a contract with RM to take over them, without informing his employers. Bad form. So he effectively had 2 contracts on the go. I can see why the Spanish FA were p1ssed.

And perhaps it goes to show that Real Madrid and the Spanish FA aren't one and the same, which a lot of conspiracy theorists on the Football Forums here would have you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He'll be sacked by Madrid by Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Odds on that would be quite short I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Apparently Real are presenting him tomorrow; the balls on them!

NIMAN wrote: »
    From what I read, all the RM players in the squad knew, but others didn't.

However, apparently a non-RM player found out....and the RM players went to manager and said there is a chance this could leak...so obviously then Real Madrids hand was forced and they had to announce it.

Looking at it from the outside, I think it was poor form from the manager as well. He agreed a new contract recently with the Spanish FA to take them to the next Euros.

He then went and signed a contract with RM to take over them, without informing his employers. Bad form. So he effectively had 2 contracts on the go. I can see why the Spanish FA were p1ssed.

And perhaps it goes to show that Real Madrid and the Spanish FA aren't one and the same, which a lot of conspiracy theorists on the Football Forums here would have you believe.

Allowing it to leak was unforgivable. He painted the Spainsh FA into a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Real seriously dropped the ball here, had he stayed on as Spanish manager, I fancied Spain to win it.

Replacing Zidane with a man whos won the WC would have seemed like the ultimate Galactico tactic, instead, they seemed to have divided a nation days before the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hard to believe that everybody involved could have expected it to stay secret for the duration of the tournament.

osarusan wrote: »
    Hard to believe that everybody involved could have expected it to stay secret for the duration of the tournament.

If he was going to do a sly one on Spain, Lopetegui should have had the sense to keep it to himself. None of the players should have been told by either him or Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If he was going to do a sly one on Spain, Lopetegui should have had the sense to keep it to himself. None of the players should have been told by either him or Real

Id imagine someone like Ramos has his ear tuned to anything major happening at Real so would have known early doors.

But ya, the whole thing kind of stinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"El stick it up your cajones, Julen"

Advertisement