Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can robin identifying features change?

Options
  • 13-06-2018 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, does anyone know if distinctive markings on birds (specifically robins in this case) change over time, or do they have those markings for a lifetime? I ask because I've had this particularly brave and friendly robin visiting me for months - He/she had a small white strip on part of their wing edge, and some other distinctive marks. They haven't visited in a week now, and I fear it may have died.

There is a robin that still appears daily, I don't see any white on wingtip, though other features are 'similar'. However it's behaviour is not all what I used to see. So I'm wondering if bird's feather markings can change after they moult or do the feathers grow in with the same distinctions? Living in hope here!

Is it also possible that she may be sitting on eggs at this time of year, if indeed she was female?

Thanks for any input. Relatively new to birding.
    IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Birds moult generally around August. This time of the year your Robin could be sitting on eggs or busy feeding young. The Robin you're seeing now could be it's mate or a new bird moved into the territory if the old one has died. Really the only way to know for sure was if 'your' bird was ringed by a licensed bird ringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bswee365

Advertisement