Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bits for carriers

Options
  • 13-06-2018 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I want to fit a bike carrier to a bike with no braze-ons (yes, I know, not designed, etc., but I've used the Tubus skewer adaptor kit in the past, with light enough bags, quite happily). I specifically want to secure the front-top of the carrier to the frame via a piece of flat, thin, bent metal that runs from the brake-attachment point on the frame to the front of the carrier. The carrier has a suitable mounting bolt, if the 'bit of metal' has a hole or slot drilled in it. The bit of metal is not a tube with flattened ends, but a strip with a slot or two, and some holes drilled in it

Where can I get such a bit of metal? Is there an official product name? Or should I go to woodies and buy six inches of aluminium strip, and get creative? Or go scrounge around my LBS?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Would something like a chair bracket fit the bill? (for example...)

https://www.woodies.ie/diy/screws-and-fixings/ironmongery/chair-bracket-100x19mm-370608

There are a number of options available depending on your carrier - P-Clips spring to mind... they fix the carrier to the seat stays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

P clips are dubious on carbon frames, sadly. But thanks for the Woodies idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

LBS should have some - some carriers come with two of these for the bosses on the seat-stays, but also come with a third one (different shape), for bikes with no bosses. A good mechanic will have kept spares such as these, for situations such as yours.

Advertisement