Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a home

Options
  • 13-06-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi people, im wondering if anyone can help me in the situation im in. Im looking for an apartment somewhere in dublin kildare or galway to rent.
    Im a 40yr old man from dublin,
    I became homeless after splitting with my long term partner a year ago, i've went to the homeleas section and they gave me the HAP, ive never had this before as i was living with the x since i was 20. But ive come to realise that anywhere i reply to with apartments to rent that would suit me i dont get replies. I dont have any refs at all that the landlords look for as ive never had to rent a place before.
    Is there anyone out there that is willing to rent me out a 1or2 bed apartment on this HAP sceme?
    I badly need my own place so i can get.my life back together and get working. I dont drink or do drugs. I like to keep to myself an do my own thing. Ive been living on the streets now a year and its getting in on me.i dont know what else to do in this situation.

Any help at all is much apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

sorry to hear you've been going through a rough time. have you any family in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

No just myself
    Tina82 wrote: »
    sorry to hear you've been going through a rough time. have you any family in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You would be better to look at house shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think you're gonna have a hard time of it with not working and no previous references and your current situation.
    Try something like the Iveagh hostel or I think the Vinny's have one across the road as well, give you time to get yourself sorted out

Yea i know, its the world we live in,people like to judge others on things like that. I cant get work till i have an address.beore i became homeless i got my D licence.so if i get my own place ill be going for a coach job.

Ive done the whole merchants quey stuf and i wo t be doing it again. When your not a drinker or on drugs you dont fit in in there. Had my life threatened in there so id rather go back to where i was sleeping on the street. That hostel you mentioned is full,i went there and theres a long list of people waiting to get in. Im a year now on the streets, i wont be putting up with it for much longer
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Think you're gonna have a hard time of it with not working and no previous references and your current situation.
    Try something like the Iveagh hostel or I think the Vinny's have one across the road as well, give you time to get yourself sorted out

• Advertisement

Don't know what its like now but it used to be with the Iveagh turn up every morning and hope there is a place - takes some perseverance but an acquaintance got in there within a few weeks and was just the starting block he needed with somewhere to call home. Do they have a waiting list now? The Vinnys place across the road maybe? Always looks like a more "rougher" crowd in there tho

Don't know Merchants Quay but read enough online about those sorts of places to know where you're coming from wanting to avoid them.

Any friends to use for an address? GoAhead looking for drivers, could be a good route into work quick - saw a driver training bus for GoAhead a week or two ago (only one I've seen mind). Looking for something like 400 drivers
    https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/careers/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Needhome wrote: »
    But ive come to realise that anywhere i reply to with apartments to rent that would suit me i dont get replies.
    Unfortunately, the government made it illegal to refuse HAP. This now means that everyone has to say they accept it, but in reality the LL's will pick another reason to refuse it, and it wastes peoples time, as instead of only the places that said they took RA (Rent Allowance, what existed before HAP) taking it, you have to waste your time looking at places that say they accept it, but don't really.

Have you applied to rent studio apartments, such as http://www.daft.ie/21844636 or http://www.daft.ie/21844763

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Property Views:
    CALL ONLY. NO TEXTS OR EMAILS PLEASE

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

:eek:
    I'd wonder if the ad is legit. Like the phone numbers on the lads jacks promising a "good time", I'd wonder if you could put up an ad, and change the contact number, and have several thousand people ring someone looking for a house that doesn't exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

Could you get a post going on FB I noticed this worked for another lad that was in the same position and 2 people offered him a property they had to rent one was in Cork and one was somewhere else but I think he took the one in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd wonder if the ad is legit. Like the phone numbers on the lads jacks promising a "good time", I'd wonder if you could put up an ad, and change the contact number, and have several thousand people ring someone looking for a house that doesn't exist?

Hell, it's actually a common scam. Put up a fake property listing with some nice pictures, get desperate people willing to accept it sight unseen to contact you about it, convince them to wire you a deposit and first month's rent (or meet in person to give you cash if you're especially cheeky and/or stupid), then disappear before they realize you don't own the place and it quite possibly doesn't even exist in the first place.

In this case, though, it's probably just that the lister knows they're going to get hundreds of people clamoring for the place and doesn't want to deal with endless email and SMS spam asking about it. Much easier to buy a prepaid burner, don't activate the voicemail, answer calls for a few days until you find a tenant, then toss it and avoid all the bother of telling the next several hundred people that the place is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

dennyk wrote: »
    Hell, it's actually a common scam. Put up a fake property listing with some nice pictures, get desperate people willing to accept it sight unseen to contact you about it, convince them to wire you a deposit and first month's rent (or meet in person to give you cash if you're especially cheeky and/or stupid), then disappear before they realize you don't own the place and it quite possibly doesn't even exist in the first place.

In this case, though, it's probably just that the lister knows they're going to get hundreds of people clamoring for the place and doesn't want to deal with endless email and SMS spam asking about it. Much easier to buy a prepaid burner, don't activate the voicemail, answer calls for a few days until you find a tenant, then toss it and avoid all the bother of telling the next several hundred people that the place is gone.

More convenient not to get phone calls. The easier thing to do is set up a special email address collect all the emails and contact the tenants based on information the tenants themselves supply. When a tenant has been selected all emails other can simply be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Will the council not find you emergency accommodation? Or try Focus or Simon etc ?
    Hi people, im wondering if anyone can help me in the situation im in. Im looking for an apartment somewhere in dublin kildare or galway to rent.
    Im a 40yr old man from dublin,
    I became homeless after splitting with my long term partner a year ago, i've went to the homeleas section and they gave me the HAP, ive never had this before as i was living with the x since i was 20. But ive come to realise that anywhere i reply to with apartments to rent that would suit me i dont get replies. I dont have any refs at all that the landlords look for as ive never had to rent a place before.
    Is there anyone out there that is willing to rent me out a 1or2 bed apartment on this HAP sceme?
    I badly need my own place so i can get.my life back together and get working. I dont drink or do drugs. I like to keep to myself an do my own thing. Ive been living on the streets now a year and its getting in on me.i dont know what else to do in this situation.

Any help at all is much apreciated.

Nope,ive been to them. Because im a single man they cant do anyrhing or get me anywhere other than hostels with drug usrrs and drinkers. I refuse to stay in them places as i was told first hand by people i got to know in merchants quey what its like in them places. Your not safe and neither is your belongings .
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Will the council not find you emergency accommodation? Or try Focus or Simon etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nope,ive been to them. Because im a single man they cant do anyrhing or get me anywhere other than hostels with drug usrrs and drinkers. I refuse to stay in them places as i was told first hand by people i got to know in merchants quey what its like in them places. Your not safe and neither is your belongings .

D o you have any shelter eg a car?

Graces7 wrote: »
    D o you have any shelter eg a car?

No,i ride a motorbike.ive hsd simce 3yrs ago.its the only thing i have till i get back on my feet

Just an update on what im dealing with, and wonder do i have a case with this "landlord".
    Got a reply from a place in galway and he said it was still for rent but was sharing with himself. Then when i said yes ok woukd you accept hap until i get a jog driving coaches in the area he said no he doesnt accept hap that its too mesdy. Do i have a case now with this carry on?

Just an update on what im dealing with, and wonder do i have a case with this "landlord".
    Got a reply from a place in galway and he said it was still for rent but was sharing with himself. Then when i said yes ok woukd you accept hap until i get a jog driving coaches in the area he said no he doesnt accept hap that its too mesdy. Do i have a case now with this carry on?

Think you've got enough to deal with without this - plus nothing much will probably happen so just a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

I don't believe licensee arrangements fall under the same anti-discrimination laws as tenancies, so you may not actually have a case anyway, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Op your best bet is a letting agent. If you walk in the door well presented and explain your situation you might be surprised. When dealing with negotiators they generally make the decision not the landlord. Therefore having one of these on your side gives you access to a much better volume of options. I am assuming by saying you are looking for a one or two bed that you have been approved on the basis of having children / access. If you dont then realistically the Hap limit for one person with no kids will only cover renting a room.

You are wasting your time on Daft with HAP that shouldnt be the case but it is.

If you are linked in with a key worker there may be help with this process too such as prepping you for what to say to agents.

Your half way there now its just a case of putting your best foot forward and playing a numbers game.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Is there not any charities that help with this kind of thing - like know you are not a raving lunatic and source accommodation for you and kinda guarantee your tenancy for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

OP have you gone to Focus Ireland and told them your situation ?

IMO that needs to be your next step if you haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

Wow, I could be wrong, but you appear to be more interest in having a case against an owner occupier than sorting yourself out! I agree that discrimination is wrong, and you need help, but wow.

davemie wrote: »
    Wow, I could be wrong, but you appear to be more interest in having a case against an owner occupier than sorting yourself out! I agree that discrimination is wrong, and you need help, but wow.
    Well you are wrong, ive had more than one do this to me an i just left it an went on. Im just sick of the landlords doing this to me an everyone else in the country. I couldnt give a dam really about having a case or not,it was just a question. It wont put me off course in doing what i need to do in getting my own place anyhow. Its just annoying been homeless an going through all this and i dont do drugs or drink.
    Hope that explains

robbie1977 wrote: »
    OP have you gone to Focus Ireland and told them your situation ?

IMO that needs to be your next step if you haven't

Yes ive been to focus,they dont do anything. They only ever gave me sheets of places that they took off daft for me to contact to get my own place. But ive been doing that already before they gave me them and nothing

Have you tried contacting Threshold? Do they help in finding accommodation?
    Or how about cluid.ie

Really need to start making contact with these types of organisations and build up a rapport to help you get somewhere

Ohh just to be clear where are you based? Thought you were Dublin but you mention Galway above?

Ohh just to be clear where are you based? Thought you were Dublin but you mention Galway above?

Yes im from dublin but the hap allows me to go to galway, and galway is where the work is for ciach drivers so said id go there

Have you tried contacting Threshold? Do they help in finding accommodation?
    Or how about cluid.ie

Really need to start making contact with these types of organisations and build up a rapport to help you get somewhere

Never heard of those 2 orginisations, ill look them up an go see them

• Advertisement

Yes im from dublin but the hap allows me to go to galway, and galway is where the work is for ciach drivers so said id go there

Is there really that much call for D licence drivers in Galway? Did you check out GoAhead?
    Unless you have a job there it would be stupid to move and become totally isolated

Don't think cluid operate in Dublin but no harm in making contact

Advertisement