Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is there really that much call for D licence drivers in Galway? Did you check out GoAhead?
    Unless you have a job there it would be stupid to move and become totally isolated

Don't think cluid operate in Dublin but no harm in making contact

Yes all over the west of ireland because of the tourist attractions. But in genral the coach industry is under staffed with drivers all over ireland. So a monkey could nearly get a job driving a coach if they knew he could drive it :)
    Its kinda a case where i need a place to live in order to get a job there.they wont take me on if i had an address from dublin.so need address first then getting a job driving shouldnt be hard with the fact of being under staffed in the coach industry

Why won't they take you in without an address in Galway, that's bizarre type of carry on if true. Most people get jobs and move to an area after getting the job there that's the norm I don't see why it would be any different for coach drivers. Are you sure this is really the case?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Could you use someone's address while you are getting a job? All they need is somewhere you are contactable. You don't necessarily need to live there

Why won't they take you in without an address in Galway, that's bizarre type of carry on if true. Most people get jobs and move to an area after getting the job there that's the norm I don't see why it would be any different for coach drivers. Are you sure this is really the case?

Um youve always needed to have an address to get employment, i dont have an address so if i say to the employer im homeless id be told ah ye ehh we'll be intouch an not hear from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Could you get a hostel in Galway for a few nights and see if it's really where you want to live? Maybe somebody working there would know of somewhere to rent. It might be easier to find somewhere in Dublin.
    Is there anywhere else but Galway you can go - there seems to be a huge amount of buses going around the West of Ireland, Clare/Kerry?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Could you use someone's address while you are getting a job? All they need is somewhere you are contactable. You don't necessarily need to live there

I dont know anyone who would, and with being a coach driver you need to dress smart with shirt an slacks an shoes.i had those but there in my ex's house aswel as everything else i owned which was a good bit of stuff. So i dont have the clothes id need to wear if i did get a job,plus i cant afford to get new ones right now,plus ive no where to keep the clothes clean for work with the 2 bags i have and a back box on the motorbike being full to the brim.

Bruisedego wrote: »
    Could you get a hostel in Galway for a few nights and see if it's really where you want to live? Maybe somebody working there would know of somewhere to rent. It might be easier to find somewhere in Dublin.
    Is there anywhere else but Galway you can go - there seems to be a huge amount of buses going around the West of Ireland, Clare/Kerry?

Well with the people thats in the hostels in dublin might be the same in galway so id rather not stay in them,id live anywhere tbh,once i have my own door an bed i dont care what gies on outside. Ive been on the streets a year now this month and at the early stages of getting the HAP i was only searching in dublin for places to rent,nothing came of it, i either got no answer or got told no that they dont accept hap because of bla bla reasons. So then i went into merchants quey an asked the guy that fought to get my hap forms where else was i entitled to go on hap out of dublin an he said wicklow, kildare galway and cork. So ive been searching galway. Yes theres a ton of coaches in the west because of the tousirst attraction there.this is why i want to go because i know the demand for coach drivers is high and id gwt a job no problem. I just need my own place and give the employers an address for me.they wont take me on otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I don't have much advice I'm afraid but just wanted to post my support for you. I hope and pray you get the break that you need. You seem like a decent individual and hard times can come upon anyone so I truly wish you well in finding a home/job. You deserve a chance. Good Luck to you. God bless.

Well with the people thats in the hostels in dublin might be the same in galway so id rather not stay in them,id live anywhere tbh,once i have my own door an bed i dont care what gies on outside.

Fair point. I was think they might not be as busy as Dublin so it might be easier to get a bed for a few nights but I get what you are saying.

I just need my own place and give the employers an address for me.they wont take me on otherwise.

I can understand this too. Maybe somebody here is in hr & can advise you if there is another way around that.
    The Facebook idea isn't bad to look for a room in a house share - even if you could manage it for a few weeks to give yourself time to get yourself organised. If you said it was for 2/3 months or whatever timeframe, you might find somebody looking for the rent - moreso if in student accommodation where they are gone for summer.

http://www.daft.ie/21846496

How about sending an email to somewhere like this and saying you are moving to Galway in the coming weeks and are looking for somewhere short-term while you are awaiting your contract from work to get permanent accommodation?

State you are a tidy person, looking for somewhere quiet to live.

I really hope you manage to get sorted.

• Advertisement

taylor3 wrote: »
    I don't have much advice I'm afraid but just wanted to post my support for you. I hope and pray you get the break that you need. You seem like a decent individual and hard times can come upon anyone so I truly wish you well in finding a home/job. You deserve a chance. Good Luck to you. God bless.

Thank you, your kind words is enough an appreciated. Its been 1yr now been homeless and its tough when you know the streets is not for you, it has never been easy for me through the years but i just keep taken the punches so to soeak. Been homeless is as low as i can go so it has to get better i hope.

Well with the people thats in the hostels in dublin might be the same in galway so id rather not stay in them,id live anywhere tbh,once i have my own door an bed i dont care what gies on outside.

Fair point. I was think they might not be as busy as Dublin so it might be easier to get a bed for a few nights but I get what you are saying.

I just need my own place and give the employers an address for me.they wont take me on otherwise.

I can understand this too. Maybe somebody here is in hr & can advise you if there is another way around that.
    The Facebook idea isn't bad to look for a room in a house share - even if you could manage it for a few weeks to give yourself time to get yourself organised. If you said it was for 2/3 months or whatever timeframe, you might find somebody looking for the rent - moreso if in student accommodation where they are gone for summer.

Yea hostels is a no for me,i just dont trust them with what i went through in dublin, had my life threatened by someone, then heard a ton of stuff that happened in hostels in dublin.you cant even charge your fone without it been taken if you take your eyes off it for a split second.
    I went onto the pages on facebook for houses/apts to rent and nothing came of it.ive had about 3 adds on there that were scams.so kinda a waste of time searching there.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

OP we can all only give general advice. I'm going to give you advice based on Dublin as that's all I know.

First things first. Forget about the job. That isn't your priority and you don't sound in the right frame of mind. Despite what's said in the press, there is no reason for anybody to be sleeping rough in this city for a year.

If I were you I would forget the Galway plan. Also I'm assuming you have been accepted onto hap by a Dublin local authority so you are making extra work by trying to get accepted or transferred to a Galway authority.

You haven't answered what you have been approved for in terms of HAP i.e. Single adult or Single with one child. If you are a single adult HAP will only get you a room based on the limits. If you have a qualified child then they will pay up to about 1500 in dublin.

You have dismissed hostels out of hand. You have a choice of the emergency hostels or to pay for yourself in a tourist hostel (10-15 per night). The perceptions you have of these aren't wholy accurate and by avoiding emergency accommodation you are going to be completely out of loop with the services that can help you.

My action plan would be:

1.) Go to the Light House ( pearse street). In addition to food services these have a full wardrobe of clothes, hair cutting service etc.. Get clobbered up and well presented. Don't be embarrassed to ask, everybody there has been or is in the same position at some stage. You can find their hours here : http://www.dcmlive.ie/outreach.html

2.) Get a list of letting agents and go around to them at a rate of 5 a day (this only applies if you are qualified for the higher hap payment that comes with having a qualified child. Explain your situation and the positives of it for them. They will get deposit plus 2 months rent in advance etc..

3.) If you are qualified for the lower payment that will get you a room in shared accommodation ring up every one thats advertised. Say nothing about hap. Go along well presented , build a rapport, and say absolutely nothing about HAP until they accept you. Then just drop it in that you've a form for them to sign and the rent will be on the way. You'll get 99% rejections at this stage but you are only looking for that 1% !

Some of your replies sound like you feel defeated and I can understand that but if you don't find a bit of positivity you are going to find yourself stuck in this rut. Getting housed is going to be bloody hard work. If you treat it like a full time job you could be sorted in a month, if you go half arsed at it with a feeling of wasting your time then it is never going to happen.

Thousands have people have gone through homelessness. The only difference between those that emerge from or remain in it is the level of fight they have him them and their willingness to use and hassle every service that's available to them. Once you are ready to stop talking and start doing then you will be ok.

Finally, if you haven't talked to Crosscare then you need to. They have excellent advice and hands on services.

If some of my advice sounds direct I hope you only take it in the way it's intended - to help.

I have no affiliation to any of the services mentioned above.

Completely understand and I don't blame you.

Could you set up a profile and put what you are looking for ask people to share it for you? I have seen this done myself when people are moving to cities to study etc. and can't find anywhere. People are good to share the posts and to respond.

It might get you a room in a house temporary until you are sorted. I have house shared, some people keep to themselves, some interact. Once you tidy up after yourself and don't make too much noise, it's not bad.

http://www.daft.ie/21846496

How about sending an email to somewhere like this and saying you are moving to Galway in the coming weeks and are looking for somewhere short-term while you are awaiting your contract from work to get permanent accommodation?

State you are a tidy person, looking for somewhere quiet to live.

I really hope you manage to get sorted.

Thanks ill send an email to that person now.
    I hope i get sorted too because this is doing my head in what i do everyday, lack of sleep,sitting in garages during the day trying to figure out what im doing with my life.
    Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EvolvedApe

OP, I think you need to realistically look at the situation.

You want to be given money to rent a property.
    You want the landlord to give you the property over someone who brings less of a risk of causing them problems due to drink or drunks or other antisocial behavior.
    You want an employer to employ you over someone who is less likely to cause them problems.

In a world where everyone is battling, you offer no pros. What can you do for people?

EvolvedApe wrote: »
    You want the landlord to give you the property over someone who brings less of a risk of causing them problems due to drink or drunks or other antisocial behavior.
    You want an employer to employ you over someone who is less likely to cause them problems.

The OP had stated there is no addiction issue. Did you hear homeless and automatically hear addiction?

Unfortunately this is the sort of uneducated mindset that the OP is battling with in the open market and is a good reminder for him of what he is up against.

The OP had stated there is no addiction issue. Did you hear homeless and automatically hear addiction?

Unfortunately this is the sort of uneducated mindset that the OP is battling with in the open market and is a good reminder for him of what he is up against.

When you hear homeless it doesnt automatically mean addiction. But chances are much greater then someone who isnt homeless.
    There are countless studies that back this up, use google.

The reality of the situation, is that landlords will all look after themselves and not take the chance.

Its a harsh reality but reality none the less. Are you going to give him a home or just tell us how high and mighty you are?. I was just pointing out what the OP is facing. I think he would be best getting a fake address that he can use and some fake references.
    Why dont you offer him your address for post?

LinkedIn can be a good way to get to recruiters. If you join it and put in you are looking for work, use key words like coach driving, hospitality etc. they will soon ad you. They look for commission so will be pushing to get you something.

It would be great if you could get accommodation sorted.

Sorry to be throwing so many things at you op, I'm sure you have thought of it all already. Sounds like you have been through a tough time, I hope in a year from now, you will be after turning things around and in a much better place.

Its a harsh reality but reality none the less. Are you going to give him a home or just tell us how high and mighty you are?. I was just pointing out what the OP is facing. I think he would be best getting a fake address that he can use and some fake references.

I've offered the OP practical advice based on experience, you've told him he has nothing to offer. I think your high and mighty comment is misdirected and your last post is embarrassingly out of touch - I base my comments on living life not Google.

• Advertisement

I've offered the OP practical advice based on experience, you've told him he has nothing to offer. I think your high and mighty comment is misdirected and your last post is embarrassingly out of touch - I base my comments on living life not Google.

I am only being honest. Are you disagreeing that homeless people have a much greater chance of also having addiction or mental issues than the general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I know youre not keen on hostels but I've a friend who works in one down the country. They really have a strict no drink no drugs rule and provide a lot of support to get housing in their local area. I don't know how they manage to get land lords on board but they know who is amenable to their residents and she spend a a lot of time getting people into their own places again. It might be worth trying outside of Dublin. It can't be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When you hear homeless it doesnt automatically mean addiction. But chances are much greater then someone who isnt homeless.
    There are countless studies that back this up, use google.

The reality of the situation, is that landlords will all look after themselves and not take the chance.

Why dont you offer him your address for post?

I think the OP knows full well and far better than anyone here, what he is facing.If you read his posts that is very clear indeed.
    He has faced far more than the "reality" you describe.

and suggesting fake addresses etc is against the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP, please keep in touch? pm if need be. Hopefully one of the excellent resources mentioned here will bear fruit for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- please keep within the remit of the OP's topic- and the charter governing posting in the forum.
    If you have an issue with a post- instead of dragging a thread off-topic- please use the report post function to bring it to the attention of forum moderators.

Thankyou.

Sorry i havent got back to a few of your replies people, had things going on. But i was still searching for a place for myself and i got a reply lastnight and he is accepting my HAP. Its a 4 bed house in galway so its a sharing with the owner,he's the only one in the house so im taking 1 of the rooms. I have arranged to go view it and he be signing the HAP forms for me there an then.

I really appreciated the input youse all have given to try help my situation,i was going to go forward with some of the said ones that i havent done yet
    I should be moving in by the end of this week hopefully

Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Needhome wrote: »
    Sorry i havent got back to a few of your replies people, had things going on. But i was still searching for a place for myself and i got a reply lastnight and he is accepting my HAP. Its a 4 bed house in galway so its a sharing with the owner,he's the only one in the house so im taking 1 of the rooms. I have arranged to go view it and he be signing the HAP forms for me there an then.

I really appreciated the input youse all have given to try help my situation,i was going to go forward with some of the said ones that i havent done yet
    I should be moving in by the end of this week hopefully

Thank you all

Best of luck with it, it'll only get better from here.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, it'll only get better from here.

Thanks, thats what im hoping for, ill be able to focus now on getting my life back an getting what i want which is the coach driving work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Needhome wrote: »
    Thanks, thats what im hoping for, ill be able to focus now on getting my life back an getting what i want which is the coach driving work.

Do you have kids?

• Advertisement

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Do you have kids?

Yes but its complicated

Advertisement