Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Delighted for you op. I thought of you numerous times last night. I hope you are comfortable in the house and it's the start of good things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Needhome wrote: »
    Yes but its complicated

There's plenty of summer left. You'll be settled in and have them down to enjoy the west in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

Bruisedego wrote: »
    Delighted for you op. I thought of you numerous times last night. I hope you are comfortable in the house and it's the start of good things to come.

Thank you bruisedego,its been a difficult year for me so im just glad to have gotten a place that i can just jump into a bed an sleep proper. The house looks nice from the pictures and he has a gym in the house too which he said i can use that too.i use to do training so this is a bonus for me.
    Time for ne to get back to focusing now

Ginger83 wrote: »
    There's plenty of summer left. You'll be settled in and have them down to enjoy the west in no time.

Yes thats the plan anyway to do just that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I'm ( or was) a Galway man myself and I hope sincerely that you get on well there. I'm in Dublin now for the last 20 yrs and have nothing but the height of regard for the Capital and how patient they are with people, not only from other counties but also other countries....best of luck in the West. I hope you get a good earner and do well in the city of the tribes.

• Advertisement

To have a safe bedroom to sleep in will be great. Everybody deserves to have that. The rest will follow. I hope you are ok for the next few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry i havent got back to a few of your replies people, had things going on. But i was still searching for a place for myself and i got a reply lastnight and he is accepting my HAP. Its a 4 bed house in galway so its a sharing with the owner,he's the only one in the house so im taking 1 of the rooms. I have arranged to go view it and he be signing the HAP forms for me there an then.
    330 is what you'll get from HAP in Galway for shared accomodation; http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

On Monday, ring Galway County Council, and see how long you'll have to be on their their housing list before you can get HAP. Mention that you are on the Dublin housing list for X amount of time. Hopefully you won't have to wait long.

I assume you have money? HAP is not always instantaneous, so you may have to pay the deposit and first months rent out of your own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wonderful news, OP

Galway is beautiful .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Well done! So delighted it's coming together for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

great news ... i'm delighted for you. best of luck for the future ...x

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    330 is what you'll get from HAP in Galway for shared accomodation; http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

On Monday, ring Galway County Council, and see how long you'll have to be on their their housing list before you can get HAP. Mention that you are on the Dublin housing list for X amount of time. Hopefully you won't have to wait long.

I assume you have money? HAP is not always instantaneous, so you may have to pay the deposit and first months rent out of your own pocket.

No with being on the homeless list i get 975 for dublin and 690 for galway.plus they pay the deposit an the first months rent too so im only going to be paying about 25 euro out of my money per month for any rented accomidation i do get.

To have a safe bedroom to sleep in will be great. Everybody deserves to have that. The rest will follow. I hope you are ok for the next few nights.

Yes its been a long time since i was in a bed so ill enjoy that :)
    Yea i be alright till everything gets sorted. Sure a few days wont hurt sleeping where i do sleep till i get into the house.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wonderful news, OP

Galway is beautiful .

Yes i like galway, love the scenery from the west :)

Yea i be alright till everything gets sorted. Sure a few days wont hurt sleeping where i do sleep till i get into the house.

With your attitude, I get the feeling it will all work out for you.

Keep us updated, you are almost there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adgib

Best of luck, hope you have a good future

Update: went to view that place, it went ok i thought and he said he'd contact me in a week. Im still on the streets. I give up 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Needhome wrote:
    Update: went to view that place, it went ok i thought and he said he'd contact me in a week. Im still on the streets. I give up 🙄

Our housing situation is a mess, and it doesn't seem like there's any solutions on the way, recovered economy, me arse. I'm sorry, but I've no advice for you, but wish you the best

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Update: went to view that place, it went ok i thought and he said he'd contact me in a week. Im still on the streets. I give up ��

So very very sorry. Can you contact him again? Please try? All I can offer is thoughts and prayers...

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Our housing situation is a mess, and it doesn't seem like there's any solutions on the way, recovered economy, me arse. I'm sorry, but I've no advice for you, but wish you the best

Its not designed to benefit us, were nothing but slaves to the system.
    Doesnt look like im getting out of this hole

Update: went to view that place, it went ok i thought and he said he'd contact me in a week. Im still on the streets. I give up ��

Gutted for you. Was only thinking about you at the weekend.

There was a documentary on recently where people in Dublin were looking for room shares and the volume of people looking was huge. So many were disappointed.

I can only imagine how you must feel but please don't give up. That Facebook add stating you are looking might be a way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No with being on the homeless list i get 975 for dublin and 690 for galway.plus they pay the deposit an the first months rent too so im only going to be paying about 25 euro out of my money per month for any rented accomidation i do get.
    HAP doesn't always kick in straight away. It's nice if it does, but it doesn't always.

How long have you been on the homeless list in Dublin? From your first post, I'm guessing a year. Perhaps see if you can talk to them again, and say that you don't mind where you are placed, as you have no ties, etc? There'll be a few council houses that will be passed over as they're in anti-social areas, and/or not near schools or other facilities. From what you say, you hope to get back working, so these places may suit you for a few months until you can afford to live somewhere better?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

OP, have you considered looking at other jobs than coach driving? Would your ex let you get post to your old address or use it for your CV?
    Ring a few agencies that supply casual drivers.. you could get shifts quite quickly and I think they pay quite quickly too. Lots of companies are stuck day to day for van drivers etc. Pay might not be great but if you could get a few quid together you would be grand, you could rent a room privately in a house and you would be in a different situation.
    Do you have a safepass? I think the social welfare will pay for you to do it. You could get a job on a site for even a short while to get you going. Put any address on the application for jobs.. your old address, a friend's etc. No one will be sending you anything that matters by post. It is all email or phone. Once you had a few paid week's of work the world would seem like a different place. Don't stress about the address for applications. Chance your arm, you have nothing to lose and little choice.

Gutted for you. Was only thinking about you at the weekend.

There was a documentary on recently where people in Dublin were looking for room shares and the volume of people looking was huge. So many were disappointed.

I can only imagine how you must feel but please don't give up. That Facebook add stating you are looking might be a way to go.

Yea this country has gone to the dogs an has made people like me hit the gutter an cant do nothing about it because the "government" dont give a damm so the landlords seem to take advantage of that fact it seems.

Yea i put an add up on 2 or 3 pages thats on facebook about renting apts & houses. Nothing came of it. I honestly dont know where to go from here, i cant life this life been on the streets.its doing my head in

the_syco wrote: »
    HAP doesn't always kick in straight away. It's nice if it does, but it doesn't always.

How long have you been on the homeless list in Dublin? From your first post, I'm guessing a year. Perhaps see if you can talk to them again, and say that you don't mind where you are placed, as you have no ties, etc? There'll be a few council houses that will be passed over as they're in anti-social areas, and/or not near schools or other facilities. From what you say, you hope to get back working, so these places may suit you for a few months until you can afford to live somewhere better?

Im on the streets now a year since last month, got my hap forms about 8months into being on the street, i didnt go near any of the homeless sections until 8months been on the street as i didnt know where to go as it was my first time been homeless. It was finally going to merchants quay one of the workers in there got me sorted with the hap because parkgate house wouldnt give me hap because i wasnt using their services.
    I was only in with parkgate house recently and got in to see the woman that actuslly handed me the hap forms and i told her i still havent got anywhere and that i found out that theres a thing called place finders an to me it was like she was saying that place finders is only for families with kids, so i said so am i not important enough to get this type of service but yet a family can get it. She said shell go ask an get back to me, still waiting on that. Annoying it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Maybe you should consider moving to a rural area of the country? There seems to be plenty of rental in some of the less populated counties? Not ideal but it is an option for the time.

johnty56 wrote: »
    OP, have you considered looking at other jobs than coach driving? Would your ex let you get post to your old address or use it for your CV?
    Ring a few agencies that supply casual drivers.. you could get shifts quite quickly and I think they pay quite quickly too. Lots of companies are stuck day to day for van drivers etc. Pay might not be great but if you could get a few quid together you would be grand, you could rent a room privately in a house and you would be in a different situation.
    Do you have a safepass? I think the social welfare will pay for you to do it. You could get a job on a site for even a short while to get you going. Put any address on the application for jobs.. your old address, a friend's etc. No one will be sending you anything that matters by post. It is all email or phone. Once you had a few paid week's of work the world would seem like a different place. Don't stress about the address for applications. Chance your arm, you have nothing to lose and little choice.

My previous work in the past was warehouse,forklift driver,transport managers helper loading & unloading the trucks and vans.then went onto van deliveries driving all over ireland,which was alright money.i was getting 2grand a month driving a van 5 days a week back then.then that work dried up so i went and got qualified in welding, which a welder is qualifidd for only 2yrs an they have to redo their certs,which i didnt get even 1 job out of that in the 2yrs i was qualified. So with driving being what i like doing i wanted to get back into the industry so i went ahead an got my D licence for coaches.just as i got the licence i split with the partner an she turffed me out of thw house. So now im here in this situation. She wont answer any of my calls or texts so no i cant use her address.
    Done the whole safe pass and manual handling thing.nothing came out of that either.

youtube! wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider moving to a rural area of the country? There seems to be plenty of rental in some of the less populated counties? Not ideal but it is an option for the time.

Ive tried with where i am allowed within the hap. An thats wicklow,kildare,galway an cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

But he said he will contact you in a week, why does no one believe that he will and you wont be living there by the end of the month ?

But he said he will contact you in a week, why does no one believe that he will and you wont be living there by the end of the month ?

Ehh because it was sometime last month when i went to view the room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Ehh because it was sometime last month when i went to view the room
    oh sorry, my mistake
    Where are you at present ? What is your next plan of action ?
    I cant imagine how difficult your situation must be

Advertisement