Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

oh sorry, my mistake
    Where are you at present ? What is your next plan of action ?
    I cant imagine how difficult your situation must be

Your ok, well i dont trust sleeping on the streets in the city centre for the obvious reasons,at first i slept in skerries harbour right down the end of the pier under the shelter with the seat.couldnt stick the cold no more so i ended up going into dublin airport and sleeping there.i kinda still use it now but i have another place that i use now. I wont say where it is but it beats skerries harbour thats for sure. Ive no idea what im going to do tbh, yesturday i sent off about 4 emails to apartments but i doubt ill hear anything back just like the previus amount i sent and nothing.
    I seriously just want to give up on everything, tired of doing the same sh*t everyday and sending emails to places and getting nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Needhome wrote: »
    oh sorry, my mistake
    Where are you at present ? What is your next plan of action ?
    I cant imagine how difficult your situation must be

Your ok, well i dont trust sleeping on the streets in the city centre for the obvious reasons,at first i slept in skerries harbour right down the end of the pier under the shelter with the seat.couldnt stick the cold no more so i ended up going into dublin airport and sleeping there.i kinda still use it now but i have another place that i use now. I wont say where it is but it beats skerries harbour thats for sure. Ive no idea what im going to do tbh, yesturday i sent off about 4 emails to apartments but i doubt ill hear anything back just like the previus amount i sent and nothing.
    I seriously just want to give up on everything, tired of doing the same sh*t everyday and sending emails to places and getting nowhere.
    I can imagine it must be so difficult but you have to try and be strong. I know you mentioned earlier that you didnt have any family but are your parents alive ? No brothers / sisters / aunts etc ?
    You must have some family

I can imagine it must be so difficult but you have to try and be strong. I know you mentioned earlier that you didnt have any family but are your parents alive ? No brothers / sisters / aunts etc ?

Father committed suicide in 2015, mother is still alive but i have a scumbag "brother" living there so i aint staying there.
    Rest of the so called family i dont talk too because they care about no one but themselves.

Father committed suicide in 2015, mother is still alive but i have a scumbag "brother" living there so i aint staying there.
    Rest of the so called family i dont talk too because they care about no one but themselves.
    Ok but maybe staying with your mother and brother is worth a try, at least for a while. You would have an address then also which would help

Ok but maybe staying with your mother and brother is worth a try, at least for a while. You would have an address then also which would help

No i dont want to get a manslaughter charge because of him. I refuse to be in the same room as him nevermind house. If you were dealing with a scumbag like him you'd be the same an wouldnt put youreelf in that position knowing it would kick off within a week of staying there.hes that bad, so no ill stay where i am.

• Advertisement

No i dont want to get a manslaughter charge because of him. I refuse to be in the same room as him nevermind house. If you were dealing with a scumbag like him you'd be the same an wouldnt put youreelf in that position knowing it would kick off within a week of staying there.hes that bad, so no ill stay where i am.
    I dont know how to help you, im sorry. Try and stay strong

I dont know anywore

I dont know anywore
    What about a trip to the GP and maybe medication ? It could help if you are starting to lose hope

What about a trip to the GP and maybe medication ? It could help if you are starting to lose hope

Drugs wont fix my problems, and i refuse to take anti depresabts with the huge amount of bad side effects they have.
    Its the system thats messed up,not me in a sense.

Drugs wont fix my problems, and i refuse to take anti depresabts with the huge amount of bad side effects they have.
    Its the system thats messed up,not me in a sense.
    I know but you might need some help along the way, thats all im saying. You arent messed up but your circumstances certainly are and this could have an affect on you. 
    Have you ever taken alcohol , even aspirin ? Everything has side effects, sleeping on the streets definetely has side effects

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 30 DevLit

davemie wrote: »
    Wow, I could be wrong, but you appear to be more interest in having a case against an owner occupier than sorting yourself out! I agree that discrimination is wrong, and you need help, but wow.
    Well you are wrong, ive had more than one do this to me an i just left it an went on. Im just sick of the landlords doing this to me an everyone else in the country. I couldnt give a dam really about having a case or not,it was just a question. It wont put me off course in doing what i need to do in getting my own place anyhow. Its just annoying been homeless an going through all this and i dont do drugs or drink.
    Hope that explains
    The landlords have done nothing to you. They're a business, and why should they take lower rent?

I empathise with you and all people house hunting, I really do, it must be awful.

The fact is that landlords are being priced out of the market. Plenty are selling up and will increase the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah lad, the government aren't going to wipe your arse for you.  "Landlords" aren't a charity, they are running their business. There are loads of services available to you. All you need you've said, is an address to receive post. You don't need to stay with your mother/brother, just get your post sent there. That's what you need for a job. Then you can pay some rent and sort yourself out. There have been umpteen suggests of where to get clothes, accommodation, food etc, and you've pooh-pooh ed the lot and made excuses. It's very hard to help someone who doesn't help themselves. 

If not your families place, then somewhere else. Swallow your pride and ask the ex to hold some post for a few weeks. Or a stranger / shop if those don't suit.

I know but you might need some help along the way, thats all im saying. You arent messed up but your circumstances certainly are and this could have an affect on you. 
    Have you ever taken alcohol , even aspirin ? Everything has side effects, sleeping on the streets definetely has side effects

I dont drink or do drugs at all, my only choice of drug is smoking. Yea sleeping on the streets is effectong me in a way because of the obvious, its like i dont have a life no more while everyone else has.
    I need to get a place so i can get working driving coaches then ill be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP sorry to hear of your situation. If you have the D licence, and are seriously looking for work. Why not contact the joe duffy show. Its worth a shot. Tell them your situation you need a break. The show is all over the country you might have someone looking for a driver and perhaps could help you with housing short term also. Nothing to lose. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Sorry I didn't get to reply sooner.

Just a thought - could you get a "virtual business address"? I saw it advertised before. You rent the address and any post goes to it and you get it then? I believe some businesses use them if they don't have an actual building.

It just might help if you had something like it for a few weeks to get post sent to it?

Will keep thinking if there's anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Another thought

https://www.daft.ie/21836688 if you called this and see if you could rent a room for x amount of weeks? I just looked at daft.ie at short term rentals. If there was anyway you could pay for it without hap (would cwo help for that??) it might get you a bed at night & an address.

Really hope you don't mind me throwing things at you, would really like to see you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I've been thinking about your situation, and also about another single man I know who became homeless at about the same time.

He had to do some time in the hostels in Galway - but it was short, because he was able to show the staff that he was well able to live independently. I have an impression that the hostels in Galway aren't so rough as the Dublin ones, too. Like you, he's been looking for a better place, but the fact is there aren't many around, so he's still in a single room in an emergency accommodation place. Not the best - but not the worse either. It is liveable.

To be honest, I think you will struggle to get any landlord or houseshare to take you on directly, with no references (this is a biggie) and after having been sleeping rough for a year. Even if you don't tell them that's what you've been doing, they will sense it, and just choose someone else. That's likely what happened with the last place you visited.

Also, I don't think you'll get a job driving coaches straight off - even if they're desperate for staff, employers who are giving people the keys to expensive vehicles will be looking in whether your head is in the right space for working. Aim to get a driving job medium term - but in the short term, almost any job will be a start.

Realistically, though, you need to find somewhere to live before you can get a job. Not so you can tell the employer your address (more about that below) but so that you can sleep properly, clean your body and clothes, cook food to sustain you, and keep your stuff safe while you work.

I think that the advice in post 44 is pretty much spot on. You do need support to get accommodation, and the government does fund homeless services to provide it. I'd add that you should visit a homeless service every single day, not just occasionally or weekly. Make it the same place each time. If the staff get sick of your face (and also get to know that you're serious about finding somewhere, always sober and trying hard) then they're more likely to help you get into a reasonable-enough place (eg like the one the other man I know is living in). Not all emergency accommodation is absolutely scum-city, although some is. In Galway the place I'd tell someone to visit is the Cope day-centre on Seamus Quirke Road. Not sure what the equivalent is in other cities - but there will be one.

About jobs and addresses: you don't really need an address to get a job. Yes, you do have to tell a potential employer an address - but unless it's finance or something that needs garda-vetting, no one will actually ask for evidence that you live there. Employment contracts etc are usually emailed to you these days, not posted. So it's quite possible to get a job without a real address, and then just tell them that you've moved and here's your new address a few weeks after starting. (I did it 10 years ago, when I was living in a back-packer hostel.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just wanted to post to say not to give up hope. There was a good article in Irish Independent this week about a guy who seemed to be in similar circumstances as yourself. His marriage broke down + he was homeless but has now been housed by Cluid so please give them a try + don't give up. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd add that you should visit a homeless service every single day, not just occasionally or weekly. Make it the same place each time. If the staff get sick of your face (and also get to know that you're serious about finding somewhere, always sober and trying hard) then they're more likely to help you get into a reasonable-enough place (eg like the one the other man I know is living in).
    I'll second this. If the homeless staff see that you're dedicated and sober on a regular basis, there's more of a chance that they'll help you. Otherwise they'll assume that you're not coming in as you're drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP sorry to hear of your situation. If you have the D licence, and are seriously looking for work. Why not contact the joe duffy show. Its worth a shot. Tell them your situation you need a break. The show is all over the country you might have someone looking for a driver and perhaps could help you with housing short term also. Nothing to lose. Best of luck

Endorsing this wholeheartedly . That show works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

appledrop wrote: »
    Just wanted to post to say not to give up hope. There was a good article in Irish Independent this week about a guy who seemed to be in similar circumstances as yourself. His marriage broke down + he was homeless but has now been housed by Cluid so please give them a try + don't give up. Best of luck.

OP did you try Cluid? They are in parts of Galway..

I know how exhausted and weary you are. Try to keep your head above water?

Hi people, sorry i havent replied to any comments on the thread.my head was melted and it came to a point were i sent a particular sinn fein group on the northside of dublin a message giving out stink to them about my situation. They had known about my situation from early days of me being homeless,they were the onea that told me to go into merchants quay for food etc.
    So anyway i gave out to them and i got a phone call from one of them and he was amazed how i was still homeless and still staying where i was staying so he said hed get back to me that he was going to get onto parkgate house, he rang me back about an hour later and told me to go into parkgate house to talk to someone and said that they gonna put me on some kinda priority thing. So i went in and was talking to a man in there and told him about not being able to get anywhere with that HAP sh*te. So he said he was gonna find me a thing they call a 6 month bed but ita for as long as i need it. He said there was one in swords so i said if you can get me that id take it.
    He rang me a few days later which was friday just gone and said there was a room after coming up in that place and has me booked in for monday (today) if i want it. I said yes ill take it.
    So i checked in thismorning. Have a room to myself.its very quiet,staff are very nice.
    So ill be here till i get somewhere on the HAP rental.

Just thought id let youse know my situation now. Next is job hunting or if a HAP accomidation is offered i be taken that.

Thanks for everyones input ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I bet I can't come near imagining the type of relief you must feel having a room and a bed to yourself.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I bet I can't come near imagining the type of relief you must feel having a room and a bed to yourself.

It is some relief i can tell ya 🙂
    Single bed,flat screen tv (which i dont normally watch tv) but nice to have. A sink, a wardrobe. An a toilet an shower right outside the room. Ill be falling into that bed tonight an out cold ill be goimg 🀀
    Just after picking up a few bits for myself now heading back to the room to chill

I actually sent them an email but never got a reply :(

I actually sent them an email but never got a reply :(

Probably all out spending the peoples tax money on big lunches and what not. Congrats on the room. Get the cvs out. Must be work around swords. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

just saw your thread. glad youre sorted
    it might be worth your while contacting this crowd. They provide homeshares with old people who need companionship. They ask for 10 hours a week from you in return for a roof over your head for €195 per month

6-9 Trinity Street
    Dublin, Ireland

(01) 209 1916

www.thehomeshare.ie

Probably all out spending the peoples tax money on big lunches and what not. Congrats on the room. Get the cvs out. Must be work around swords. Best of luck

Wouldnt surprise ne.
    Have to get myself a new set of slacks & shirts n ties an shoes first for interviews an the job. The ones i had are in the x's
    I know what companies ill be contacting shortly :)

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Absolutely thrilled to hear that things are looking up for you.
    I hope you grasp the opportunity you've been offered with both hands- and leverage it for all its worth.
    I wish you all the very best for the future- and hopefully at some point in the not so distant future- we'll see in an entirely different context- and your current circumstances will be a distant memory for you.

Good luck!

Advertisement