Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of planning Co Offaly

Options
  • 13-06-2018 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the cost if planning is granted in County Offaly. I know the fee to apply is about 60 euro, but I'm talking about contributions after? I Googled but couldn't find it.

If someone could help me with an approximation of the following fees I'd be very grateful:

Architect to make drawings to submit to planning and everything else that goes with applying for planning.

Cost of a solicitor when gifting land from one relative to another, or can a relative write a letter to say the land would be gifted in the event of permission being granted?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

contributions after for a rural house tend to be in the region of €3010 as standard

see table 1 here

there may be supplementary contributions on top of these, but you need to read the document to see if they are applicable to your site.

professional fees for architects / solicitors etc can vary wildly, depending on the level of service you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

This would be in a town in Offaly.

I guess for costs we just need to get quotes.

Do you know anything about the gifting of land? Can that be done on the condition that planning is approved?

Irishchick wrote: »
    This would be in a town in Offaly.

I guess for costs we just need to get quotes.

Do you know anything about the gifting of land? Can that be done on the condition that planning is approved?

the site doesnt need to be transferred prior to planning, so dont transfer until after planning is approved.

and yes, get at least 3 quotes for all services you require.

for example you may want an architect to design a modern bespoke feature dwelling and to carry it all the way through to turn key finish, which would command a top level cost....
    or you just may want a very standard dwelling and for the designer just to bring it to the resolution of a planning application, which would command a much lower cost.

We were hoping to put one of the Timber Living wooden houses on the land. We were hoping we would get planning based on my health and the lack of availability of any houses in my area (never mind one storey ones) to suit my medical needs.

Timber Living has plans for their houses but planning doesn't accept them. So it's basically a matter of the architect copying their plans onto the site we have that could be gifted to me.

if the site is in the town, within the town development boundaries, and connecting to public utilities, then your medical needs shouldnt have anything to do with whether you get permission or not. I cannot see why the council would accept a 'drop in' log cabin as being more acceptable from a medical need than a bespoke build.

just be aware, the specification offered by those log cabins DO NOT COMPLY with building regulations and thus it would be illegal for you to use them as an independent home. you also wont find anyone who will sign them off for mortgage purposes for the same reason.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if the site is in the town, within the town development boundaries, and connecting to public utilities, then your medical needs shouldnt have anything to do with whether you get permission or not. I cannot see why the council would accept a 'drop in' log cabin as being more acceptable from a medical need than a bespoke build.

just be aware, the specification offered by those log cabins DO NOT COMPLY with building regulations and thus it would be illegal for you to use them as an independent home. you also wont find anyone who will sign them off for mortgage purposes for the same reason.

Because there are no one storey houses for sale in the town and I need to be here. I cannot afford a new build because I cannot work due to my condition.

We went down to visit them and were told they do meet building regulations. They can be insulated and triple glazing installed to meet an A3 BER rating.
    I will not need a mortgage for this.

We went down to visit them and were told they do meet building regulations. I will not need a mortgage for this.

No mortgage is good news.

however, they certainly dont meet regulations with the insulation levels they offer on their website. (regardless of whether you install a top of the range heat pump, UFH and heat recovery ventilation)
    I do enough Part L reports to know the levels they quote dont come anywhere close to meeting regs (ie 100 PIR in a ceiling is no where near adequate (about 50% short), similarily 100mm of quilted spacesaver in the walls is also only about 50% of whats required)

will they offer you a certificate of compliance with building regulations Part L on completion? and have they the professional indemnity insurance behind them to do so.. i wonder?

No mortgage is good news.

however, they certainly dont meet regulations with the insulation levels they offer on their website. (regardless of whether you install a top of the range heat pump, UFH and heat recovery ventilation)
    I do enough Part L reports to know the levels they quote dont come anywhere close to meeting regs (ie 100 PIR in a ceiling is no where near adequate (about 50% short), similarily 100mm of quilted spacesaver in the walls is also only about 50% of whats required)

will they offer you a certificate of compliance with building regulations Part L on completion? and have they the professional indemnity insurance behind them to do so.. i wonder?

They do provide the cert if you meet the BER rating. They have insurance. You can up the insulation.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but apart from heat loss, what happens if yo don't comply?

firstly, what happens if you break any law?

secondly, you potentially end up with a very expensive glorified garden shed that you can never recoup the value on.

firstly, what happens if you break any law?

secondly, you potentially end up with a very expensive glorified garden shed that you can never recoup the value on.

Understood. I have been told they supply certs if we meet the BER and are insured. We just need to make sure it has enough insulation to be compliant.

• Advertisement

Understood. I have been told they supply certs if we meet the BER and are insured. We just need to make sure it has enough insulation to be compliant.

Ah yes, so YOU have to make the structure compliant with the energy regulations, not them :)

Which means they are washing their hands of part L compliance.

And have you any idea what extra cost will be needed on top of their system to make it comply?

Ah yes, so YOU have to make the structure compliant with the energy regulations, not them :)

Which means they are washing their hands of part L compliance.

And have you any idea what extra cost will be needed on top of their system to make it comply?

No, we haven't discussed the extra cost yet. Need to see if it would be possible to get planning on the site we want to build on first before we think about that.

I've sent you a private message if that's OK

Advertisement