Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Clubs County Meath

Options
  • 13-06-2018 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Moving over to Ireland in a few weeks from Australia. Looking for a nice club/course in county meath with regular comps and match play games to join. Would like to hear from anyone on club/course selection and why they think they are good.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

cordy1969 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Moving over to Ireland in a few weeks from Australia. Looking for a nice club/course in county meath with regular comps and match play games to join. Would like to hear from anyone on club/course selection and why they think they are good.

thanks

Where in Meath cordy? It's one of the bigger counties so where you are within Meath will influence the responses you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

All depends on where you are going to live and how much you are looking to pay a year in terms of Sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Im from Australia so I'm used to driving for good course, money wise not too worried happy to pay for a good course. I will probably settle around Trim or Navan at this stage

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

cordy1969 wrote:
    Im from Australia so I'm used to driving for good course, money wise not too worried happy to pay for a good course. I will probably settle around Trim or Navan at this stage

Then you have loads of options. Big venues like Kileen Castle, Parkland like Royal Tara 27holes or Headfort 36holes, Links like Laytown/betystown (40mins from Navan) Loads more depends on what you want. suggest playing all them around and then deciding.

As I hate walking really would like a course that has Electric Carts preferably included in club fees are there any courses like that? And if not can you buy a electric cart and store in on any courses in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Two good courses in Trim, County Meath and Knightsbrook. County Meath is a traditional parkland-style members club with a good variety of holes, not super long but can be narrow off the tee. Knightsbrook is a more modern/open/longer kind of course, attached to a hotel so more of a resort feel. Both good options if you end up in Trim.

If you don't mind the drive then you have two of the best parkland courses in Leinster in Meath: Killeen Castle and Headfort New.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

cordy1969 wrote: »
    As I hate walking really would like a course that has Electric Carts preferably included in club fees are there any courses like that? And if not can you buy a electric cart and store in on any courses in the area.

It's very rare that you'll see an electric cart in a Club Comp in Ireland. Afaik, most clubs only permit them based on medical grounds.

Casual rounds are generally fine but only highlighting as you mention Comps & Matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

I'm a member in County Meath Golf Club which is just outside Trim. Lovely course with very welcoming members. Great setup with practice facilities including floodlit driving range. Upon your return to Ireland I'm sure if you contact the club they would facilitate a courtesy round and tour of the club. Plenty of Carts but as already mentioned only really used in comps by those that would have medical grounds. No issue in using them in friendly rounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Outside Kells is Headfort and there you will find an old tree lined course and a fantastic new course and plenty of practice area and lovely clubhouse. Two great courses...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Headford would have my vote.
    Also I would look at courses close to home, long summer evenings are great for 9 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Headford would have my vote.
    Also I would look at courses close to home, long summer evenings are great for 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Former member of Knightsbrook. Its a great course and no doubt you could do a deal with them in relation to buggys. Its set up with buggy paths the whole way around.

Just play a couple of them and then decide, you'll be spoilt for choice.

Thanks Johhny, I have had my eye on Knightsbrook for a few weeks now. The fees look reasonable and the course looks great. Im after a long and open course so this looks like a good match so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Headfort for me too. Lovely attempt at island green if I remember correctly. if I lived closer I'd join it too.
    Killeen Castle is good but very looooonnngggg.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Headfort for me too. Lovely attempt at island green if I remember correctly. if I lived closer I'd join it too.
    Killeen Castle is good but very looooonnngggg.......
    Killeen Castle isn't really long at all off the tees they usually play, ~6600 yards. Off the blacks it's a bit of a beast at ~7700 but they're only played about 4 or 5 times per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

fullstop wrote: »
    Killeen Castle isn't really long at all off the tees they usually play, ~6600 yards. Off the blacks it's a bit of a beast at ~7700 but they're only played about 4 or 5 times per year.

Is that all? It seemed longer when I played it. I can't remember what tees it was off but it wasn't off the blacks as we were a society. I have a good drive but I wasn't reaching every fairway comfortably and the 2nd shot was always a beast it seemed, having said that I only played it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is that all? It seemed longer when I played it. I can't remember what tees it was off but it wasn't off the blacks as we were a society. I have a good drive but I wasn't reaching every fairway comfortably and the 2nd shot was always a beast it seemed, having said that I only played it once.

I think it can seem longer depending on your ball flight as some greens are raised and you generally have to carry a bunker or water to get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

fullstop wrote: »

Long trek on the legs fair bit of walking between holes and you tend to reach the back tees first then you walk up to the middle tees you would want to be fit to play it every week 5hr rounds are not too uncommon.

Advertisement