Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment Advice

• 13-06-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering does anybody have some advice on what would be a good idea for a short to medium term investment on 20K?
    I have the cash in bonds the last few years and did well the first year but have got no return for nearly a year now.
    Was wondering should I look at shares or just go with an investment fund with my bank or potentially a broker. 
    I would like to get a better return then a savings account and of course better then the return I have had in Prizebonds this last year which is zilch but in a years time if I need the money would like to gain access to it easily and quickly enough. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I put 20K into Degiro account at the start of the year. Currently, my investments have grown to almost 25.6K (>25% return in less than 6 months).

That being said, there could be a financial collapse tomorrow. But given the 25% gain so far, there is a least a good cushion before I am in to "loss" territory.

Investment strategy has been generally 1K into 20 different stocks, somewhat diversified, but a heavy emphasis on US Tech Stocks (Amazon, Atlassian, Netflix, MuleSoft (now taken over by Salesforce) and Micron have been my best performers). I have also regularly cycled certain stocks (i.e. profit-take after a healthy rally and buy in again a few days/weeks later when they are lower - has mostly worked, but a few bad calls, but that's the risk). I haven't been using leverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Don't go near a bank for investments.
    Don't go near equities for shortv term investment.
    You're probably in the right investment with your bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Yes,
    I dont massively trust the banks, seems [font=arial, sans-serif]there's[/font] no real alternative to bonds at present. 
    Was looking for a similar return on my bonds from the 1st year I had them (250 quid) but that's guaranteed.
    The Degiro platform interests me but it would be something I'm comfortable to invest 1 or 2K in, not 20K.
    A good investment Broker might be an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The Degiro platform interests me but it would be something I'm comfortable to invest 1 or 2K in, not 20K.
    A good investment Broker might be an idea.
    I wouldn't go near a broker for small amounts. Their fees, at a minimum, will wipe out any gains, but realistically will actually cause you a massive loss. Brokers are best for people investing 6/7-figure sums who don't have the time/knowledge to do their own investing.

Advertisement