Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Core i5-7640

Options
  • 13-06-2018 2:34pm

B Stock for €135, is it worth it?

If not what's a good jump from my old reliable of i5 2500k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AVOID.

The i5-7640 is on Intel 2066 socket & very power hungry.

If you want a modern platform, I'd suggest Ryzen 5 (e.g. Ryzen 5-2600).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ryzen 2600 or Intel i5-8400. If you haven't already OC'd, your 2500K at 4.4Ghz it should still be solid for 60fps in almost every game as long as you've a decent card.

Ryzen 2600 or Intel i5-8400. If you haven't already OC'd, your 2500K at 4.4Ghz it should still be solid for 60fps in almost every game as long as you've a decent card.

I've a 1080 but also looking to put it onto the 4k screen. I'm not overly pushed at the moment just curious as to what I should be looking towards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've a 1080 but also looking to put it onto the 4k screen. I'm not overly pushed at the moment just curious as to what I should be looking towards

2500K should still be fine for now once a healthy overclock is applied, at stock speeds in the more CPU gruelling titles it'll bottleneck the 1080 something fierce.

Very much depends on the games. Despite it's age, most games these days are heavily GPU dependent with just a few that run the opposite way and the 2500K is still capable in most titles of 60fps.

Get it to about 4.4Ghz, and even in the most CPU demanding titles you should be able to make the 1080 the bottleneck at 4k-high 60fps.

If you've no interest in overclocking but want to play at 4k60fps in all the latest games, a 2nd hand i7-3770 for about €110 on Ebay is your man.

Otherwise it's a whole motherboard/cpu/ram change which will set you back €350-400.

2500K should still be fine for now once a healthy overclock is applied, at stock speeds in the more CPU gruelling titles it'll bottleneck the 1080 something fierce.

Very much depends on the games. Despite it's age, most games these days are heavily GPU dependent with just a few that run the opposite way and the 2500K is still capable in most titles of 60fps.

Get it to about 4.4Ghz, and even in the most CPU demanding titles you should be able to make the 1080 the bottleneck at 4k-high 60fps.

If you've no interest in overclocking but want to play at 4k60fps in all the latest games, a 2nd hand i7-3770 for about €110 on Ebay is your man.

Otherwise it's a whole motherboard/cpu/ram change which will set you back €350-400.

I might give the OC shot, better on this CPU than one I've just bought.
    Not got the will for a rebuild at the moment so OC may be the best option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement