Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    100% deserved to win, two awful calls equalled themselves out but there's no way Newcastle deserved anything from that.

They showed no sign of getting out of there half and just kicked everything in blue.

Delighted we won because we're usually turned over up there one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Chelsea
    Squad wise, Chelsea are as strong as Liverpool except LFC have greater fire power up front which hopefully makes the difference over the course of the season. They aren't far off with Willian/Pedro/Hazard/Kante/Jorginho/Alonso all a threat

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Man Utd
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Watford are dominating every game so far, could we have another Leicester type on our hands?
    There is nothing lucky about what they are doing.

No chance. In 6 weeks or so Watford will be dreadful again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Yeah but Liverpool are at their best on the counter (hence the great success against City). So obviously restricting the space the front 3 can move into harms them.

Man Utd and Chelsea definitely did it to them from the top 6 and West Brom, Swansea, Burnley and Newcastle all got favorable results playing defensive sit off football. Leicester City did it in the league cup as well I think?

City don't tend to drop those points or at least it's very rare. While Liverpool also need to improve their results against the top 6 it's just as important to follow up those games with wins. See from last season beating Man City 4-3 and losing to Swansea a week later basically undoing all the good work the week before.

Wouldn't really count Utd and Chelsea. They are just good teams and its a difficult game no matter what. All those games you listed I agree with that they struggled. Its just there will always be the odd slip up. So as I said a couple of dodgy draws and probably a bit unfortunate to face Swansea when everything was going right for carvahal. They also beat all those teams in the return game when the approach would have been similar and also beat lots of other teams with a similar approach. There was a big improvement in getting past teams with those tactics in2017/2018 as opposed to 2016/2017.

Man Utd
    garra wrote: »
    Squad wise, Chelsea are as strong as Liverpool except LFC have greater fire power up front which hopefully makes the difference over the course of the season. They aren't far off with Willian/Pedro/Hazard/Kante/Jorginho/Alonso all a threat

We're only a few weeks into Sarri transition to a completely different system too so we're going to take a few weeks to figure how to play against 10 at the back on the edge of the box.

In fairness though, we won't play a team with less ambition than Newcastle did today every week, thankfully :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Chelsea
    Regarding the Michael Owen chat earlier in the thread, shots fired by Shearer:

https://twitter.com/alanshearer/status/1033692016234754048?s=21

It’s largely known that he refused to play in a key relegation game for Newcastle the year they went down from the Premier League for the first time (2008/2009), the reason being he didn’t want to risk injury ahead of a move that summer.

He was their captain.

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    interesting, I never took to Owen, disappointed when he left delighted when we won the CL that year.

Shearer I do like, should have joined Utd but stayed faithful with his hometown club. Worked with a guy who drove him to the airport when he was a kid at Southampton and he said he was a gent.

Liverpool
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    Shearer I do like, should have joined Utd but stayed faithful with his hometown club. Worked with a guy who drove him to the airport when he was a kid at Southampton and he said he was a gent.

Shearer was an amazing pro. Always got the impression that he treated goalscoring as a job and did it as efficiently as possible. No airs and graces, just rack them up. The only other player who may have matched him was le Tissier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Chelsea
    https://twitter.com/cathal_sweeney9/status/1033701792830418945?s=21

Click the image for the full piece.

“Is he in the cabinet?” :pac:

Man Utd
    From last seasons FA Cup final

https://twitter.com/Paracelsus/status/1033775569341702145?s=19

It would be great if we could hear all the chat between the ref and the players and the other officials would bring a bit more transparency to the game.

Well, the chat around incident like these were a big decision is being made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Man Utd
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    From last seasons FA Cup final

https://twitter.com/Paracelsus/status/1033775569341702145?s=19

It would be great if we could hear all the chat between the ref and the players and the other officials would bring a bit more transparency to the game.

Well, the chat around incident like these were a big decision is being made.

What was the game last season where a goal was disallowed after the assistant said he saw a replay on the big screen or something? Maybe officials would like to keep consultations private, might add an extra little bit of stress having to watch what they say in 'one-to-one' conversations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Chelsea

Tried that years ago and it didn't end well. David Elleray was the referee and a good chunk of the content wasn't suitable for broadcast. David O' Leary got a yellow for saving something to the linesman, if I remember correctly.

Man Utd
    What was the game last season where a goal was disallowed after the assistant said he saw a replay on the big screen or something? Maybe officials would like to keep consultations private, might add an extra little bit of stress having to watch what they say in 'one-to-one' conversations.

I dont think the FA or the PGMOL will allow us to hear live recordings of the officials talking as it will allow for criticism from the press on the back of a decision.

IMO, they should but the fact VAR isnt used for the PL yet, I cant see mic'd up officials that we have access to, coming down the tracks anytime soon.

Chelsea
    not sure why people get so offended by bad language on tv. ok my language is atrocious but is it really something to get upset over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    not sure why people get so offended by bad language on tv. ok my language is atrocious but is it really something to get upset over?

There would be kids watching?

Chelsea
    TitianGerm wrote: »

They'd probably hear worse in their sitting room watching it with their da. Ah I get it but hearing bad language on the tv is probably not going to change anything in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Man Utd
    Berserker wrote: »
    Tried that years ago and it didn't end well. David Elleray was the referee and a good chunk of the content wasn't suitable for broadcast. David O' Leary got a yellow for saving something to the linesman, if I remember correctly.

Yeah - but they never told the players it was happening, which contributed to the mess that it was.

If it was brought in, with clear instruction, and punishment for players for abusive language towards the officials (as it is now, but not strictly enforced) it could be very good for the game.

Would give fans an insight and, i believe, lead to much better behavior from the players to the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    Doesn't the rugby have refs with mics? Surely they are just as likely to be foul mouthed but hold it in because they know they're at work and there is a level of professionalism to be met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea

:rolleyes:
    My lad has heard far worse coming out of my mouth watching a game.

Man Utd
    Yeah - but they never told the players it was happening, which contributed to the mess that it was.

If it was brought in, with clear instruction, and punishment for players for abusive language towards the officials (as it is now, but not strictly enforced) it could be very good for the game.

Would give fans an insight and, i believe, lead to much better behavior from the players to the officials.

They never told Arsenal, which is why there was a difference between their approach to the ref than the other side.

I think the conversations from the mics are recorded so the FA can use for disciplinary reasons but I've never heard of the audio being released.

No idea how this was leaked or how NBC got hold of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    rob316 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    My lad has heard far worse coming out of my mouth watching a game.

Yea but some parents wouldn't be happy with their little "angles" hearing bad words on TV and would complain to Sky :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Burnley

Many sponsors won't want their products associated with shows that air bad language, they prefer more family-friendly content. The WWE makes more money from sponsors nowadays (the PG Era) than they did during the Attitude Era (1997 - 2001), which was an era when they had their highest TV ratings ever. Nowadays, they're hitting record low TV ratings, yet making more TV money than ever.

I think there's also laws against bad language before watershed hours.

Chelsea
    Many sponsors won't want their products associated with shows that air bad language, they prefer more family-friendly content. The WWE makes more money from sponsors nowadays (the PG Era) than they did during the Attitude Era (1997 - 2001), which was an era when they had their highest TV ratings ever.

I think there's also laws against bad language before watershed hours.

Sponsors makes sense. Always wonder why a presenter apologises for bad language. Say a tennis player shouts out something at Wimbeldon and the BBC commentator immediately apologises. It's not their fault but I guess they could be fined for broadcasting it.

Man Utd
    Slightly off topic but regarding the bad language. US news clips are bleeping out bad language in the Florida shooting but leaving gun shot noises and groans.

So yeah bad language is frowned upon. Can't have kids hearing it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You'd imagine if they were being broadcast they'd clean up their act pretty damn fast. Though its very clear the authorities have no ambition to change attitudes towards referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    Yea but some parents wouldn't be happy with their little "angles" hearing bad words on TV and would complain to Sky :pac:
    As Warden Norton (nearly) says in Shawshank; "Don't be so obtuse".

;)

Liverpool
    I'm selling my Spurs prediction for €50.

So for just €50 you can claim my prediction and appear really knowledgeable about football.

Incidentally it appears to have jumped from 4 to 7. I'll give a certificate of authenticity that I got in before a ball was kicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    The world is a happier place when Jose Mourinho loses.

David Squires will be sharpening his pencil right now.

Man Utd
    Paddy Power paying out on Mourinho being the 1st manager sacked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Chelsea
    The world is a happier place when Jose Mourinho loses.

David Squires will be sharpening his pencil right now.

I look forward to him pencilling more of his new creation: Emo Boss.

Chelsea
    Really hate Mourinho and thoroughly enjoy the spectacle he regularly makes of himself but even I had to look away watching the post match press conference this morning. So much cringe.
    In fairness to him it started off well, with a passionate defence of his team but quickly turned to farce. I'm not there yet but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him.

Man Utd
    I'm not there yet but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him.

Don't. He creates this for himself. Has done at every club he's been at.

Man Utd
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Don't. He creates this for himself. Has done at every club he's been at.

Porto and Inter he left on serious highs, the highlights of his career so far.

He was pretty much ran out of Madrid and fell out with everyone at Chelsea during his 2nd stint.

So I wouldn't say every club but his two latest jobs, certainly hes done himself no favours.

Its hard to say where he'll go if it all ends up sour at Utd, hes running out of elite jobs, maybe PSG?

Chelsea
    If there was ever a poison chalice in football it was replacing SAF at Utd. I'd been saying it for years I wouldn't fancy being the next guy at OT. I didn't think it would destroy two, possibly three careers and still counting.
    Hard job to turn down though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

He was pretty much ran out of Madrid and fell out with everyone at Chelsea during his 2nd stint.

So I wouldn't say every club but his two latest jobs, certainly hes done himself no favours.

Its hard to say where he'll go if it all ends up sour at Utd, hes running out of elite jobs, maybe PSG?

Mourihno would be better off going to a non-elite club and building something with them, I think it would suit him more at this stage.

His 3 greatest success have been with underdog stories (to a degree).
    Wins UEFA Cup and Champions League with Porto
    Turns Chelsea into a proper big club and sets the platform for all that has followed.
    Wins champions league with an underperforming Inter Milan team.

I'd love to see him take on a job with an underachiving club in europe (say Schalke or a club of that sort of level) and see could he turn them into something, his style of football doesnt suit the elite level clubs any more but clubs from the next level down wouldn't be as fussy.

• Advertisement

Man Utd

When at Porto he refused to celebrate a successful champions league campaign because he was already settled on joining Chelsea. While he wasn't ran out of the club, everyone at Porto has hated him with a passion since he left.
    In his first stint at Chelsea he was ran out of the club after falling out with Abramovich, much of which was his own making.
    At Inter Milan he was two years into his three year contract when he stated his love for Real Madrid the day after winning the Champions League with Inter. Again he was laying the groundwork for his leaving.
    At Real Madrid he left the club by "mutual consent" but not before he had stated that the current season was the worst of his career, thus alienating him from Los Blancos who were already growing tired of him.
    Every know what happened then at his second stint as Chelsea.

Throughout his career he has used the press to get away from clubs when the going gets tough because it's easier to move into a club that isn't successful, and find some instant success than it is to change a club when the going gets tough. As Carragher correctly pointed out, Mourinho has never in his career recovered from a bad patch as manager

Man Utd
    Quazzie wrote: »
    As Carragher correctly pointed out, Mourinho has never in his career recovered from a bad patch as manager

I agree with that, I've seen it happen twice. :o

But he didnt really have ad patches at Porto and Inter, leaving after success, its Real and Chelsea that have crippled him.

I dont think hes quiet there yet at Utd but hes not far off a complete implosion, what will give him a stay of execution so to speak, is the fact after the Burnely game, we've got an international break so he can take a few days out an try and figure something out.

Again though, I wouldn't write off Utd and Jose finishing top 4 but I cant see them winning the league with Jose as manager.

Man Utd
    I agree with that, I've seen it happen twice. :o

But he didnt really have ad patches at Porto and Inter, leaving after success, its Real and Chelsea that have crippled him.

I dont think hes quiet there yet at Utd but hes not far off a complete implosion, what will give him a stay of execution so to speak, is the fact after the Burnely game, we've got an international break so he can take a few days out an try and figure something out.

Again though, I wouldn't write off Utd and Jose finishing top 4 but I cant see them winning the league with Jose as manager.

I think the difference between Porto/Inter and the rest is he left literally days after the high points. So he didn't wait around for the following year. There is a definite trend with his career tho. Move to an underperforming club, shake things up, get them organized and overperform for a season, then reality sets in and he's stirring things up in the press and he's gone. This didn't happen with Porto/Inter but i think that's only because he interrupted the sequence by getting out at the high point. History is repeating itself with United, but it's the Mourinho way. I'm sure he worked a lovely compensation package into the contract extension he signed earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Chelsea
    If there was ever a poison chalice in football it was replacing SAF at Utd. I'd been saying it for years I wouldn't fancy being the next guy at OT. I didn't think it would destroy two, possibly three careers and still counting.
    Hard job to turn down though.

Who could they possibly go for at this point? MP is a possible candidate but would he leave Spurs for that job in all seriousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Liverpool
    Berserker wrote: »
    Who could they possibly go for at this point? MP is a possible candidate but would he leave Spurs for that job in all seriousness.

Not a hope of that happening, especially as it looks likely United will be looking for a manager mid season if not earlier. Zidane would be the obvious candidate given he is a free agent at present surely.

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    Poccetino wouldn't go mid season I'd imagine. If Madrid or Utd positions are free next summer then it's definitely a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Liverpool
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Poccetino wouldn't go mid season I'd imagine. If Madrid or Utd positions are free next summer then it's definitely a possibility.

Yep unfortunately that would be a worry, as regards Madrid but him wanting to go to United would not be too sure about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Does Jose do the 3rd season meltdown on purpose?

He signs a new big shiny contract in the second year and gets fired in the 3rd year.

Nice big payoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Man Utd

He signs a new big shiny contract in the second year and gets fired in the 3rd year.

Nice big payoffs.

Nobody will ever touch Mr. Sven Goran Eriksson – King of the Pay-Offs

Nice big payoffs.

How many clubs did he see his contract out on and how many did he leave/get fired from after signing us a new one the year before give us the details or we can't answer the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mourihno would be better off going to a non-elite club and building something with them, I think it would suit him more at this stage.

His 3 greatest success have been with underdog stories (to a degree).
    Wins UEFA Cup and Champions League with Porto - Porto who had the most money in Portugal
    Turns Chelsea into a proper big club and sets the platform for all that has followed. - Chelsea who had the most money in England
    Wins champions league with an underperforming Inter Milan team. - Inter so under performing they were champions for 3 seasons before he came in

I'd love to see him take on a job with an underachiving club in europe (say Schalke or a club of that sort of level) and see could he turn them into something, his style of football doesnt suit the elite level clubs any more but clubs from the next level down wouldn't be as fussy.

See red

Man Utd

Nice big payoffs.

Real Madrid and his 2nd stint at Chelsea seen him sign new deals before leaving.

Real initially paid a huge sum for him for Inter.

Chelsea apparently got him for song from Madrid because he and they both wanted out.

At Chelsea, signed an extension and got sacked some 6 months later.

Chelsea
    How many clubs did he see his contract out on and how many did he leave/get fired from after signing us a new one the year before give us the details or we can't answer the question

Signs contract extensions at each club since his first stint at Chelsea in the second year and is gone by the end of the third year.

Jose extends contract at Inter

Jose extends contract at Madrid

Jose extends Chelsea contract.

Jose extend Man U contract Still there and we will see if he breaks that cycle.

Jose signs contract extension gone with a year seems to be his thing.

Signs contract extensions at each club since his first stint at Chelsea in the second year and is gone by the end of the third year.

Jose extends contract at Inter

Jose extends contract at Madrid

Jose extends Chelsea contract.

Jose extend Man U contract

Jose signs contract extension gone with a year seems to be his thing.

so 1 big payoff and one potential 1?

Chelsea
    so 1 big payoff and one potential 1?

Sacked twice by Chelsea so pay offs

Sacked by Madrid pay off.

Will be sacked by Man U so another pay off.

All after signing contract extensions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement